Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Visually distinct types of scrolls (Mostly so it's easy to tell which ones have challenges on them.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Visually distinct types of scrolls (+5)  
After clearing all 100 challenges on KDD through restoring, I felt it had been enough time since my last run that I was up for gradually going through again, this time getting all the secret rooms and all the challenges on one run.

Then I got to Fifth Floor 1N 2W and wondered what the challenge was when I saw the scroll, which being in the middle, was inconvenient to get to and I might have to start the room over to do the challenge.

I checked it on a restore after hitting a checkpoint in the previous room to keep my progress, and then realized that it was from the original version of the hold and there was no challenge for the room.

So it struck me that it would be nice if there was a visibly-distinct "Challenge Scroll", at the very least, to prevent this sort of confusion. More generally, if there were multiple scroll styles, I'm sure people could come up with interesting ways to use them - just off the top of my head, you could use this to clearly mark tutorial scrolls, hint scrolls, and scrolls with lore on them. Different colors would be one option for distinguishing them, but not ideal for the color-blind.

This could either be handled by making the names for the different types of scroll "Challenge Scroll", "Hint Scroll", etc., and gameplay-wise all of them would be identical to a basic scroll; or it could be done by simply having multiple scroll styles available in the editor and leaving it to architects to decide what means what. I don't have an opinion on which way would be better, I'd just like there to be readily-apparent "Challenge Scrolls" in the official holds.
11-24-2014 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
icon Re: Visually distinct types of scrolls (+1)  
I had a similar idea... coloured scrolls (the RPG has red scrolls for maps). The idea being that you don't need to specifically implement distinct types of scrolls and worry about missing some or adding to them later... just give creators the ability to choose the colour of the scroll and conventions will spring up.

As an additional related request: scrolls that have been read once, should be clickable to read again. The text on scrolls has become more important to game play... it should be made easy to check the wording for a challenge. This would also help with things like Advanced Concepts, where you sometimes have a bunch of scrolls in a row¹ describing a concept and you'd like to reread them quickly while doing a practical exercise.

Basically, scrolls haven't been updated in forever. They could really use some.

¹ Or better yet, maybe also change scrolls to support more text... give a cutoff point with a "more" button to bring the full text up in the middle of the screen on a bigger parchment... allow markup and we could have tutorials be more friendly with images to emphasize things like order of directions or patterns.

[Last edited by bwross at 06-16-2015 07:14 AM]
06-16-2015 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201
icon Re: Visually distinct types of scrolls (+2)  
How bout just putting a character over them with the imperative "ghost display" on. We realy don't need everything hardcoded in the game when you can easily work around it.

Make a character !, slap it on the scroll tile with ghost display and BOOM! Special scroll.

Not saying it's a bad idea. But this is something realy simple.

06-16-2015 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Visually distinct types of scrolls (Mostly so it's easy to tell which ones have challenges on them.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com