Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD on OSX
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ross
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
IP: Logged
icon DROD on OSX (0)  
Drod is now playable on MacOS X as long as you can handle the following things.. :D :D :D

1. No audio. I'll work out why shortly.
2. Font corruption. I checked whether the font was the problem and it's not, also it's unlikely to be SDL_ttf as it is showing *some* text but not all lots of control code type symbols. Just needs a little more debugging methinks.

But I think I might have an hour or two of playing DROD first :)

[Edit] I now think the font problem is showing the wrong half of a WCHAR. Might this be a problem with WSTRING.c_str() using the wrong byte in the conversion?

[Edited by ross on 05-27-2003 at 12:37 PM]
05-26-2003 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: DROD on OSX (0)  
I would guess that yes, the problem is showing the wrong half of a WCHAR (i.e. the bytes are swapped). However, I don't think that c_str() could be the problem - all that does is return a WCHAR* from a WSTRING. It doesn't and shouldn't do any swapping or anything.

You say some of the text works, and some doesn't? I think I ran into that as well - some of the text is in the database, some isn't. Can you give examples of which looks right and which doesn't?

05-27-2003 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ross
Punctuation and dates basically. They look okay ...

I also found http://www.w3.org/2002/09/libwcs.tar.gz
today... so I might give it a try.

[Edited by ross on 05-27-2003 at 07:09 PM]
05-27-2003 at 08:06 PM
Schik
Blaaah...

Look in CDbBase::GetMessageText() for an $ifdef __sgi...#endif block.

It was the first one I did, before I made a function to flip bytes, and I apparently never went back and changed it to use the function.

Feel free to modify it to use LittleToBig().

That *should* fix your problems.

05-27-2003 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ross

Absolutely no difference.

I need to get this in a debugger I think to properly trace it all through. It looks like I'll be in GDB hell for a little while .... I bet even the Flash guys will finish before me :)

05-27-2003 at 09:15 PM
Schik
Dang, I thought we had it there.

Umm... good luck :). Keep posting if you come up with anything else... maybe something will ring a bell with one of us here.

05-27-2003 at 09:22 PM
Travis Wells
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
('ello!)

Did the makefiles for OSX ever get checked in?
I did a checkout on "Caravel" but no OSX makefiles, just linux & irix (as well as MSVC project files)

09-24-2003 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
I don't think they were ever checked in - we were probably waiting for ross to get it working, but he hasn't been active here in a couple months or so. If you'd like to give it a shot, that'd be great! We non-Mac people will try to help in whatever way possible.

09-24-2003 at 05:01 PM
ross
Schik wrote:
I don't think they were ever checked in - we were probably waiting for ross to get it working, but he hasn't been active here in a couple months or so. If you'd like to give it a shot, that'd be great! We non-Mac people will try to help in whatever way possible.

But .. but .. the makefiles *were* checked in as makefile (rather than makefile.osx). I have a horrible feeling that they might have just been lost in a tidy up somewhere - my fault for now labelling them properly.

I'm on OSX 10.3 atm and I've a feeling that the OSX code will compile with minimal changes to the linux makefile. Esp. on 10.3 as we now have WCHAR :) YAY !! The 10.2 version might be a tad harder though, I never did solve the wchar problems.

If you would like to discuss the OSX build just email me ( at ross at NOSPAMcompanyofarchers dot org - remove the NOSPAM ) or PM me and we can get together on IRC one evening and I'll help you build it. I doubt that I'll have enough time over the next few weeks to do anymore than help someone else build it - still looking for new work.
11-03-2003 at 03:52 PM
Sergio
Hi. I spoke to Erik yesterday (read: we had some emails going) about the Mac OS X port, and I'd like to inform I'm trying to compile one ;)

So far, mk4.h will say I'm redefining lots of functions, but I think I'll sort that as soon as I read some of the metakit docs.

Wish me luck, will you? :D

Ross: I'm on 10.2.8, should I buy 10.3 before trying to get this working? :]

[Edited by Sergio on 11-03-2003 at 03:56 PM GMT]
11-03-2003 at 03:54 PM
ross
Sergio wrote:So far, mk4.h will say I'm redefining lots of functions, but I think I'll sort that as soon as I read some of the metakit docs.

It's to with with the order in which libs are linked (don't ask how I worked out the order).

As for buying 10.3 just to run drod, well that's a little extreme (ducks before Eric sees that). if you were planning to get 10.3 anyway now is a good a time as any, otherwise let's see how far we can get with doing 10.2 (given that I don't know have access to that).

For those that are interested, we've taken the rest of this to e-mail.
11-03-2003 at 06:18 PM
Sergio
So... I got all the libs and includes to compile DRoD on Mac OS X 10.2.8.

After some __linux__ replacing stuff, I found myself able to compile an executable. But guess what :] It won't run. If I double click it, an error will appear, and if I run it from console, it'll do nothing. I had to create a symbolic link to libfmod.a as I had a libfmod-3.6.3.a or so, and I guess that's the problem.

Still trying, good luck to everyone else trying :]
11-14-2003 at 06:00 PM
ross
Sergio wrote:
So... I got all the libs and includes to compile DRoD on Mac OS X 10.2.8.

After some __linux__ replacing stuff, I found myself able to compile an executable. But guess what :] It won't run. If I double click it, an error will appear, and if I run it from console, it'll do nothing. I had to create a symbolic link to libfmod.a as I had a libfmod-3.6.3.a or so, and I guess that's the problem.

Still trying, good luck to everyone else trying :]

You need to put it in an application bundle.. you can do this by creating a simple app in PB and then replacing the executable with the one from the Drod build.

Also for fmod you need to make sure you have the right version .... try the later version http://www.fmod.org/files/fmodapi371mac.sit which fixes some OSX issues.

Also don;t forget if you move the .a you will need to re-run ranlib on it.

[Edited by ross on 11-16-2003 at 07:45 PM GMT]
11-16-2003 at 07:44 PM
Sergio
I updated fmod to 3.71, thanks ross.

Now, I grabbed the last sourced from sourceforge, applied the same patches to the code I made, and now I get:

g++ custom/lib/DROD.a custom/lib/FrontEndLib.a custom/lib/DRODLib.a custom/lib/BackEndLib.a -Wl -lmk4 -lz -lexpat -lfmod-3.63 -lSDL_ttf -L/usr/local/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL -o custom/bin/drod
ld: Undefined symbols:
_SDL_main
make[1]: *** [custom/bin/drod] Error 1
make: *** [drod-custom] Error 2

Any ideas?
11-17-2003 at 03:56 AM
ross
If you have installed the SDL development framework you should be able to go into PB and create a new SDL Application. Do this and then grab the SDLMain.m and SDLMain.h files and put them in the project.

OSX requires these two files to be compiled into your project, mostly for setup.

Doing this you will probably need to add Cocoa to your list of frameworks used.
11-17-2003 at 08:49 AM
FreHo
:w00t

Oh my god! Drod is a nice game, I love to have it on my iBook too. What is the status on Drod for Mac OS X (Panther).

Is there a Mac binary by any chance? I could probably compile it, but what files do I need and what changes do I have to do?
01-18-2004 at 02:25 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD on OSX
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No