Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Next contest?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
IP: Logged
icon Next contest? (0)  
Is anyone planning a new contest?

I thought a repeat of the Copycat contest would be cool and a good way of generating a new compilation hold.

Any other thoughts?

10-31-2014 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Next contest? (0)  
The idea of repeating Elemental Showcase with the new TSS elements is quite natural, and I wouldn't mind running it -- I've just been a bit too busy lately to remember to bring up the suggestion :)

10-31-2014 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
Cheap Trick could be another good contest to have a sequel to.

10-31-2014 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BlueFlower
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 156
icon Re: Next contest? (+3)  
How about our next contest is about choosing our next contest?

11-01-2014 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Nuntar wrote:
The idea of repeating Elemental Showcase with the new TSS elements is quite natural, and I wouldn't mind running it -- I've just been a bit too busy lately to remember to bring up the suggestion :)
I would certainly be in favor of a new Elemental Showcase contest, considering I have suggested it before on chat myself. Perhaps entries showcasing GatEB elements could be allowed as well to offer more options for participants.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-01-2014 at 11:30 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
There was a Halloween contest planned, but my work schedule has not been kind to me for the past couple of weeks/months.

11-02-2014 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Sorry, I have been dealing with some pressing personal issues that kept me away from Caravel work for the past couple months. Anyway, here's what I was thinking for Halloween. I wasn't able to get it going, but fortunately, Nuntar has a great contest going here, so someone can still run it next month if they'd like.

Scary forum contest

Create the best "jump scare" in the DROD 5.0 engine. Create a hold that your average player can go through in five minutes or less. Come up with the most effective and creative way to scare someone in your hold.

---
For the contest voting page: Players who judge this contest should expect to be startled/scared. Assuming we'll have some good entries here, please don't view and/or rate submissions unless you're ready to participate at your own risk.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-13-2014 09:53 PM]
11-13-2014 at 09:50 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
icon Re: Next contest? (+2)  
Over the last few months I have been thinking hard about the forum strategy game The Spitemaster tried running back in 2008 (DROD RTS, official August 2008 contest). Over Thanksgiving weekend I started to condense some of those thoughts into a large spreadsheet (much bigger than my Battleships spreadsheet). I an about halfway done building it, the section tracking purchases/sales/upkeep is done but the combat section is still under development. If people are interested I would like to try running my version of the forum strategy game, probably in January.

As an overview, this is what everyone can expect in my DROD FSG:
- Each person will have one fortress to defend, which will generate income for the war effort. Destruction of the fortress is an automatic loss.
- Each person will have a treasury for funding their armies. Bankruptcy is an automatic loss.
- Each person will have three armies to attack opponents or defend the fortress.
- Combat units have basic stats of attack, defense, health, purchase price, upkeep expense.
- Officers include commanders who determine army size and boost combat stats of combat units, they are paid a salary.
- Other officers are noncombat support: Builders to repair and fortify the fortress and Quartermasters to increase income.
- All rounds will follow the same format: 1-Mandatory income and expenses, 2-Purchases and recruitment, 3-Sales and dismissals, 4-Deployment and battle.
12-02-2014 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Next contest?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com