Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : remote doors (doors that must be opened remotely)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skinsmen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
IP: Logged
icon remote doors (0)  
I think that there should be a color door that can be open by a special switch that you could perhaps put in a different room than the door.

That way you can have "cross roads" in your holds where you must find the switch that opens the door there (which is elsewhere like a couple of rooms to the right,) so that you can continue.

(then you can come back because the door is now open and continue on)

[Edited by skinsmen at Local Time:10-07-2004 at 12:42 AM: typo city]
10-04-2004 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: remote doors (0)  
So, essentially, this suggestion is exactly equal to giving Beethro the ability to collect keys.

10-04-2004 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
But that would be breaking the way of the game where the rooms are not connected(with the exception of 2 rooms on level 24 and some of level 15)

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:11-08-2004 at 02:37 PM]

10-04-2004 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
...And an exception of 25 rooms on level 13 :P
10-04-2004 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, nothing says that rooms aren't connected - as you said there are connected rooms in level 24 and there are several more in user holds. Also, blue doors are affected by what you do in other rooms.

Personally, I don't particularly see a need for this suggestion, but as long as it's kept simple (i.e., there shouldn't be multiple switches opening different doors in a level), it's not too bad. I really doubt it will be implemented anytime soon, and I'm sure not going to request that it will be, but I won't object if it is.

10-04-2004 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skinsmen
eytanz wrote:
Well, nothing says that rooms aren't connected - as you said there are connected rooms in level 24 and there are several more in user holds. Also, blue doors are affected by what you do in other rooms.

Personally, I don't particularly see a need for this suggestion, but as long as it's kept simple (i.e., there shouldn't be multiple switches opening different doors in a level), it's not too bad. I really doubt it will be implemented anytime soon, and I'm sure not going to request that it will be, but I won't object if it is.

Well, me and a friend of mine though that it would be cool if this could be in there simply because you can then have rooms which must be revisited in order to continue the hold. Ex. you go to a room where you could go north and west but the north is closed off by a door. You go west and later hit a switch that opens up north.

I don't see what is wrong with it... and it kind of adds a bit more of a dungeon theme kinda idea. You know, like switches that open doors out or drawbridges or whatever.

[Edited by skinsmen at Local Time:10-05-2004 at 02:50 AM: typo city]

[Edited by skinsmen at Local Time:10-07-2004 at 12:43 AM]

[Edited by skinsmen at Local Time:10-07-2004 at 12:44 AM]
10-04-2004 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
I think the general effects of this can be achieved by using multiple entrances and exits to a room and yellow doors to make some of them one-way, especially if combined with green doors. It may not look as elegant, but I think that if a feature request doesn't make new types of puzzles possible, it has to have something else to recommend it. (I prefer not to add game elements that just make certain puzzle types easier without making new puzzles possible. By going through the complications of getting a puzzle to work, I feel the creative juices get going and the puzzle ends up being more interesting.)

++Adam H. Peterson
10-04-2004 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skinsmen
Just what do you mean when you say that this would make some puzzles easier? :-O
10-05-2004 at 02:52 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
skinsmen wrote:
Just what do you mean when you say that this would make some puzzles easier? :-O
Well this basically allows for puzzles where in order to progress in one room you must do something in another room. We can already do puzzles like that with green doors and corridors that detour through multiple rooms. This element might make such puzzles easier to make, but right now I can't see a fundamental puzzle idea that these door types allow you to do which you can't get a pretty good approximation of with existing game elements.

That doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any, but posting a good example or two would be persuasive.

++Adam H. Peterson
10-06-2004 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skinsmen
Well, this way you can close off rooms that either can't be accessed until later when you find the switch. IF you find the switch. Know what i mean? ;) Which, i guess could already be done with crumbling walls, but it kinda makes it a bit more fun when you know there's a room behind that door over there but you don't know where the switch is because its hidden or something. :D
10-07-2004 at 12:49 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : remote doors (doors that must be opened remotely)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com