Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Curiosity (Short Thematic Levels)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (18 votes)
σ 1.26
Author Name:Kieran Millar
Submitted By:kieranmillar
Hold Name:Curiosity
Theme:Short Thematic Levels
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:78
Number of Monsters:1031
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:13 (+13 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Curiosity.hold (62.5 KB)
Downloaded 780 times.
License: Other
icon Curiosity  
A hold with thematic levels that focus primarily on a few features at a time. While this hold is for TSS, the only TSS element it uses is scripted bonus challenges, so those still to beat TSS need not worry about encountering a game mechanic they've yet to see.

The length is small-to-medium and there are a variety of room types.

I hope you enjoy this hold. A big thank you to all those who tested or provided comments during beta, without whom this hold would be much worse than the final result you see before you. These are:
blorx1, bomber50, Elfstone, Nuntar, Red-XIII.
09-16-2014 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Curiosity (+2)  
This is an extremely impressive debut hold from Kieran. Each level focuses on a particular element or group of elements, and each has a consistent design style, these being impressively varied throughout the hold. There are some very nice linchpins, manipulation rooms and timing rooms, and very few rooms are tedious or frustrating. (The second level, Flooded Cellar, seems to have ended up with most of the rooms I disliked, but don't let that put you off. Tastes differ :P )

Overall verdict:
5 Difficulty
10 Fun

09-16-2014 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
icon Re: Curiosity (+1)  
I agree with Nuntar, this is an amazing first hold and it's definitely worth to play.
I enjoyed it a lot during testing, I liked almost every room, mainly because some of them had more than one solution, and some of them are now challenges, which are also very well done.
About difficulty, I'd say that overall is around 5.5 - 6 but the final level is pretty challenging, so this hold is pure gold for someone who wants to try easy-medium puzzles but also be stucked (and then realize the linchpin) on harder rooms, it's really satisfying!

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 09-17-2014 10:02 AM]
09-17-2014 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Curiosity (+1)  
Nice hold, I like!

Fun, medium level puzzles.
10-03-2014 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Very much a "back to basics" kind of hold. The puzzles are nice and simple. Simple not necessarily meaning easy, but it is always clear how the puzzle elements in any given room will interact, and there are no convoluted setups. I also like how each level only uses a strictly limited set of monsters and objects that can interact. This creates fun and easy to get into themes for each level.

01-18-2015 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
Somehow I missed this hold last year.

Anyway, I agree this is an excellent hold and it is hard to believe that it is the architect's first hold.

Very impressive.

Most rooms are of medium difficulty but some are rather tricky.

My favorites

The Chasm 1N
The Vault 1S

Awaiting your next hold,

adS

06-02-2015 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
Curiosity is a very clean hold. By this I mean that each level uses a limited selection of elements and each room's objective is always easy to understand. There's a lot of care taken to make this hold friendly to play - levels start with quick demonstrations of any mechanical quirks you'll need to know later on, plate-heavy puzzles use lights to quickly indicate 'bad' ones to avoid, spare force arrows clue you where clones need to start etc.

I found the difficulty fairly breezy overall but the quality is such that you could easily mistake these for mid-game official levels. At worst, a few rooms might feel derivative if you are a veteran but there's enough variety that it's not a problem.

Highly recommended if you just want more DROD without the headache of really nasty rooms.
12-28-2016 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Curiosity (Short Thematic Levels) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com