Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Dungeons of Snoll! (October 2004 contest)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Dungeons of Snoll! (0)  
This is madness!

I finished making my 12 rooms maybe 20 minutes ago and I'm still fixing bugs in first level!!!!!

This is going to take more time than it should...
10-16-2004 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
No hard feelings. Remember though, you can submit a partial hold as well and still be part of the contest. You just get another 5 mod points if your hold is complete.

Since the popular opinion seems to be that 2 hours is just not enough time, though, I'm going to extend the contest times by half an hour. There are now negative 1018 weeks, 5 days until the holds need to be in. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing what you've all come up with.

Please remember to email the holds to me at cjmarks at gmail dot com, and to send victory demos shortly thereafter.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 07:04 PM]

10-16-2004 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
But it's not really completable in its current state... :(
10-16-2004 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Alright ladies and gentlemen, it's now time to submit your holds. Please email them to me at cjmarks at gmail dot com, and follow it up with your victory demos in short order.

10-16-2004 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
I'll send my hold in 5 minutes.

And my victory demos too.

No chance of impossible levels.

Currently editing last room.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 07:34 PM]
10-16-2004 at 07:33 PM
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
I've sent in my updated hold and only some victory demos. I lost some of them when I updated the hold and I couldn't move the player to start in the specific room for the demo because it would affect the position of the room. Because I had to go and eat I didn't have time to redo the hold, or rework it in the extra time. Will I be disqualified? :?
10-16-2004 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Sim wrote:
I've sent in my updated hold and only some victory demos. I lost some of them when I updated the hold and I couldn't move the player to start in the specific room for the demo because it would affect the position of the room. Because I had to go and eat I didn't have time to redo the hold, or rework it in the extra time. Will I be disqualified? :?
I'll test to make sure the rooms are beatable. If I discover any that aren't, I'll just say no demo is required for them, but the hold is still good for the contest.

10-16-2004 at 07:50 PM
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
I've sent an anyone-edit version just now so that people can skip an impossible room if there are any, although I'm not sure if this will cause problems with room locations.
10-16-2004 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
The first running of Dungeons of Snoll has been completed. To play the holds, and to see who won, browse on over to this thread and check it out. The next one will begin in negative 1018 weeks, 4 days, and will use some brand new themes.

10-16-2004 at 11:31 PM
DiMono
Well, it's coming up on Local Time:10-17-2004 at 04:00 AM and Matt's nowhere in sight, so I guess I'm running the second contest as well. Besides, who needs sleep? And now Matt can participate, which I know he really wants to do anyway.

So here's how this is going to work. At Local Time:10-17-2004 at 05:00 AM I'll post another reply in this thread with the three themes for the hold. Remember, we're looking for 4-8 rooms per level. You don't have to submit a finished hold for this contest, but you get an extra 5 rank points if you do, even if you don't win any other prize.

The first running of this contest, twelve hours earlier, revealed that 2 hours for the three themed levels is just not enough time, so you'll have until Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:30 AM to send me your holds (cjmarks at gmail dot com). Victory demos must follow shortly, or be sent along with the hold in the first place.

At Local Time:10-17-2004 at 08:00 AM I'll start a new thread and release the contest entries in it. When you have victory demos for every room of every hold, make a post in that thread and then email me your demos. First three to submit a full demo set win prizes.

I'm going to be lurking on the forums for the next four hours, so if you have any questions please feel free to post a reply or PM me. See you in an hour!

10-17-2004 at 04:03 AM
DiMono
The time has come, once again! With one mighty stroke of his gavel-like hand, King Ballioutay shall reveal the themes he wants for the second run of his audition holds. Stand in awe (again) at the majesty of his task... a second time! The themes for the second running of this competition shall be:

1) Stop-Watch.

2) Hiding in the Bushes.

3) Circular Logic.

King B. has asked me to wish everybody only the best of luck in this endeavor, as he looks forward to seeing each and every entry in this competition. Remember, your entry is due Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:30 AM, and I'll be making another post at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:15 PM to let everyone know the time is nigh.

Alright. Themes will be revealed every half hour, and I'm going to update the top post in this thread with them as well. I will be lurking on the forums during the contest, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask them in the thread, or to send me a PM. And yes, the themes are intentionally vague to allow for more flexibility.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 04:58 AM]

10-17-2004 at 04:57 AM
DiMono
Well, it's Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:15 AM, which means there's 15 minutes left to get your holds emailed to me at cjmarks at gmail dot com. In what I think is an absolutely amazing turn, while I've been lurking on the forums I've seen all sorts of people present at the tops and bottoms of the hours, but this is the only post that's been made since the contest started. That's power.

Holds should be emailed to me at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:30 AM, with demos either immediately following or included, and I will start a new thread at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 08:00 AM in which I'll post a zip file containing all the holds. See you all in a little bit

10-17-2004 at 07:15 AM
DiMono
Alright everyone, the time has come. It's Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:30 AM, which means it's time to email me your holds and demos. They can come seperately if you like :)

And remember: A hold that isn't finished is still a valid entry

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:32 AM]

10-17-2004 at 07:31 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
argh, I just deleted a level instead of a room!

GARG!

Not that it was good or finished anyway. :/
10-17-2004 at 07:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rabscuttle wrote:
argh, I just deleted a level instead of a room!

GARG!

Not that it was good or finished anyway. :/
Man, that's a bad thing to do by accident. You can still use it, but I need it in my email.

10-17-2004 at 07:40 AM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
Yerf, this is tense. (I got my last demo finished 2 minutes before the deadline.) DiMono, I presume my demos came in ok, so I'm going to go get a snack. See y'all shortly.
10-17-2004 at 07:45 AM
DiMono
jdyer wrote:
Yerf, this is tense. (I got my last demo finished 2 minutes before the deadline.) DiMono, I presume my demos came in ok, so I'm going to go get a snack. See y'all shortly.
Yep, it's all good. I need to know who Daniel is though. Is that you, Rabscuttle?

10-17-2004 at 07:46 AM
Rabscuttle
Yes, that's me.
10-17-2004 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rabscuttle wrote:
Yes, that's me.
Excellent. Remember the victory demos.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:49 AM]

10-17-2004 at 07:49 AM
Rabscuttle

*smacks forehead*

impossible room.

10-17-2004 at 07:51 AM
DiMono
Correct and resubmit, my friend... as long as it's only a small tweak to get the job done.

(I think Doom's lurking so he can see what comes of the second contest)

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:53 AM]

10-17-2004 at 07:52 AM
Doom
I just woke up twenty minutes ago. Of course I'll take a look.

I'll try to beat the levels just for fun.
10-17-2004 at 07:56 AM
Rabscuttle

Of course I should have saved the victory demos before editing.

The rooms should all be solvable.

One is just annoying though. I hate rooms like it.

10-17-2004 at 08:04 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
And guess what? I thought I still had half an hour.

Oh well, sorry DiMono. I would have been on an hour earlier, but my family missed me, and more importantly, my brain, and kept me on the phone for an hour and a half.

And on this day, the seventeenth of October, the lamest excuse in the history of the world was uttered, and the forumites did say, "yeah, okay".

Oh wells, it gave me good practice.

Matt

10-17-2004 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
Mattcrampy wrote:
And guess what? I thought I still had half an hour.
And on this day, the seventeenth of October, the lamest excuse in the history of the world was uttered, and the forumites did say, "yeah, okay".

You can repent by trying out the entries. 3rd place still up for grabs. ;)
10-17-2004 at 08:26 AM
DiMono
Don't worry, Matt, you can still play for 25 points to be handed out by ...you, and if you want you can post what would have been your entry on the forums too.

10-17-2004 at 08:32 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Dungeons of Snoll! (October 2004 contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com