Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : probably not a bug? - TCB demos where I die (upgrading TCB does this, I guess)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ghira
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon probably not a bug? - TCB demos where I die (0)  
I am currently running the latest Linux version of TCB and am looking at some of my old demos because a friend is playing TCB and I want to remind myself of what some of the rooms were like. I see that in a surprising number of demos I now die quickly. Water skippers seem to be present in all the cases I've noticed so far but this may be a coincidence. I assume this isn't really a bug but searching for "gets himself killed pretty quickly" or "broken demo" doesn't find much on the forums. I guess some change in movement order or similar has caused some of my old demos to fail and this is well-known and routine.

I don't imagine this is interesting enough for anyone to want me to upload any of them but I can if, unexpectedly, it is.

Edited: I've put 5 demos where I die in later messages in this thread. They all have water skippers. However, there are plenty of other water skipper rooms where all is well.

[Last edited by ghira at 08-29-2014 09:45 PM]
08-29-2014 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: probably not a bug - demos where I die (0)  
This usually happens when a hold is updated. It can happen when behavior in the engine changes but usually that will not break existing holds.

What rooms are you noticing this in?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-29-2014 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ghira
disoriented wrote:
This usually happens when a hold is updated. It can happen when behavior in the engine changes but usually that will not break existing holds.

What rooms are you noticing this in?

A quick look now shows River Dugan 4S1E and 4S4E but I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one other example as well.

Clearly my threshold for "surprising" may be lower than I realised, though maybe any at all should be somewhat surprising.

Edit: 5 rooms found. Demos in later messages.

[Last edited by ghira at 08-30-2014 04:52 AM]
08-29-2014 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ghira

File: TCB River Dugan 4S1E Victory.demo (7.2 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's River Dugan 4S1E
08-29-2014 at 08:45 PM
ghira

File: TCB River Dugan 4S4E Victory.demo (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
And here's River Dugan 4S4E
08-29-2014 at 08:46 PM
ghira

File: TCB Archival Catacombs 2S1W Victory.demo (6.7 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
And Archival Catacombs 2S1W. Water skippers again.
08-29-2014 at 09:05 PM
ghira

File: TCB Rasarus Archipelago 1S1W Victory.demo (8.9 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
Rasarus Archipelago 1S1W. Water skippers again.

08-29-2014 at 09:10 PM
ghira

File: TCB Abyssian Fortress 1S Victory.demo (8 KB)
Downloaded 29 times.
Abyssian Fortress 1S. water skippers once more.

This is the fifth one. I think "surprising" is starting to seem almost reasonable now.
08-29-2014 at 09:35 PM
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
disoriented wrote:
The former, rather than the latter, I think. I'm using an older version of TCB in 5.0.1, and the two demos I tried from this lot (River Dugan 4S1E and Abyssian Fortress 1S) both worked correctly. That is, the player conquered the room and exited without dying.
Without version numbers/proper changelogs for the main holds, it's hard to tell what has changed when...

[Last edited by Moo at 08-30-2014 12:37 AM]
08-30-2014 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: probably not a bug? - TCB demos where I die (0)  
It's neither, actually. The latest version of DROD does not invalidate those demos, and nor does the current spider (which should naturally be using the latest version of the hold).

Which possibly points to a bug with the Linux version, which is beyond my ability to test.
08-31-2014 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ghira
TFMurphy wrote:
It's neither, actually. The latest version of DROD does not invalidate those demos, and nor does the current spider (which should naturally be using the latest version of the hold).

Which possibly points to a bug with the Linux version, which is beyond my ability to test.

I am using the TCB engine to play these since that's where my saves for KDD/JTRH and TCB live. I could try to migrate the TCB save to Gunthro or TSS to see if they _also_ claim these demos are invalid.
08-31-2014 at 06:03 AM
ghira
ghira wrote:
I am using the TCB engine to play these since that's where my saves for KDD/JTRH and TCB live. I could try to migrate the TCB save to Gunthro or TSS to see if they _also_ claim these demos are invalid.

Hmm. Exported and imported saves but it won't let me view my own demos because I haven't conquered those rooms. Even though I can restore to those levels now. I have never tried this before so am probably doing it wrong.
08-31-2014 at 07:26 AM
ghira
ghira wrote:
Hmm. Exported and imported saves but it won't let me view my own demos because I haven't conquered those rooms. Even though I can restore to those levels now. I have never tried this before so am probably doing it wrong.

That was with TSS. Importing my TCB saves into Gunthro works but it also says the demos are invalid. Or at least the first three I've tried.

08-31-2014 at 06:08 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Can someone who has TCB installed and conquered investigate this for me?

10-08-2020 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: probably not a bug? - TCB demos where I die (+2)  
The above demos all play back fine for me in 3.3.0.96 on Windows and 3.3.1.98 on Linux.
10-13-2020 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : probably not a bug? - TCB demos where I die (upgrading TCB does this, I guess)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com