Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Just won the game! A few questions.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bad2dabone
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Just won the game! A few questions. (0)  
Hey I just finished HQ- I scored 87 honor as a Fighter and absolutely LOVED IT! The game wasn't fun playing as a Rogue first time through, my only complaint is that the game doesn't adequately explain enough why it's best to play an Honorable Fighter the first time through.

That being said, a few questions...

1. What are the best 3 extra skills to give yourself as a Fighter? While Fast Talk came in handy, Magic was.... well, kinda useless to be honest! It did help me to beef up my Will Power, and I got to cast the flame protection spell before the town battle but- that was basically all it did for me. (I did miss the spell in Skyrim's workshop)

2. Is it possible to melt the frozen flower as a Fighter without Thievery and a Tinderbox? Also, does the flower actually do anything?

3. Where do I get a golden apple from?

4. Can you retrieve your supply bag from Thrivaldi's cave as a Fighter even if you lack Stealth and Acrobatics?

5. Is there any special reward for solving that one puzzle in the Svartalf's armor shop? (you know, the one where you try to connect all the machines together) I'm always so bad at those kinds of puzzles... :(

6. Can a non-Rogue ever join the Thieve's Lodge?

7. How did the swan lose her wings? What was the story behind that? Did she turn into a human or a swan-human hybrid while she still had her wings? Was she forced to get married against her will? Can she ever become human or a swan-human hybrid again?

8. Can a non-Fighter ever get Weaponry skill to use other weapons?

9. Can non-Fighters ever encounter and fight the Swamp Beast?

10. It's obvious you guys put in a LOT of work for this game! Why give it away for free?

11. Also, will we ever see a sequel?

Thanks!

(apologies for the username, trying to fix that soon with a pm to the right person ;)

[Last edited by jowyblightxv@hotmail.com at 08-04-2014 03:00 AM]
08-04-2014 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Just won the game! A few questions. (0)  
Congratulations on finishing the game, and glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

In response to your questions (some spoilers):

1) It really depends on how you want to play, but every class can finish the games without using a cross-class skill. Putting points into other skills gives you more flexibility with solutions. Magic can come in handy if you think of the magical solution, and you can also use it in combat provided you have a magic staff equipped.

2) Yes, a warrior can also get the frozen flower. You'll need a certain magic item to help pick it up though.

3) You can get the golden apple if you successfully complete Lithrasir/Liff's quests.

4) Yes, you can retrieve your supply bag. It's probably less straightforward for a warrior, but maybe you have a certain skill which means someone can help you ;) (and no, I don't mean fast talk).

5) Part of the puzzle with the slider puzzle is actually understanding its function :)

6) A non-rogue can join the Thieves' Lodge provided she has the thievery skill, I believe.

7) Various NPCs tell you the story of the swanmaiden (Eitri, for one). Basically, Volund took her wings so that she couldn't leave him. Hervor does love Volund and Heime, but she also wishes to be free. And even though she has wings, she can also turn back into human (see the end-credit screens).

8) I believe that your class limits you to which weapons you can equip. E.g. a battle axe is too big for a rogue and a sorceress!

9) The swamp beast is a warrior only quest.

10) We'd always intended for this game to be free, and being free also means that more people would play it and enjoy it. Since we're not making games for a living, we're also not beholden to deadlines, which means we can make the game as best as we can without giving up on quality. However, in the future, we may not be able to get our games onto Steam/other distributors for free, so we hope that some people who enjoyed Heroine's Quest will be open to playing our other games when we release them - even though we're still doing this as a hobby :)

11) A sequel depends on whether there is enough interest and whether we have enough time to commit to one. We're not ruling it out though; it's just not on our current list at the moment (we've got a number of smaller projects we want to complete first).
08-04-2014 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bad2dabone
Thanks for all the info! It sounds like I may need my fox buddy.

12. So.... what spells are actually good for combat if you get Magic as an Alt skill?

All I ever got for fighting was that one dinky Magic Dart spell.

I did get the flame shield one to help out during the town battle, but beyond that, Magic really did very little for me as an alt skill to the point where it's unlikely I'd pick it up again unless that one defensive spell instance is helpful.

13. If I bust Fremont's shield then will he still have that funny sequence with Thrivaldi's army? I found him lurking down in Svartlheim. I kinda felt bad busting his shield but he is a menace to the local town after all.

14. If Fremont's shield is buster, will he appear later during the Thrivaldi mushroom sequence?

[Last edited by jowyblightxv@hotmail.com at 08-04-2014 05:57 AM]
08-04-2014 at 05:24 AM
Fizzii
12. Hmm, now that I think about it, I think you can get Flame Aura, Shadow Spell, Arctic Wind, Blink (?) and Shield. I might have missed something though. Flame Aura can be used as a defense move; shield spell serves the same function as a regular shield. Arctic Wind might be a special move, but I don't recall off the top of my head.

You'll find that pure sorceresses are generally limited to Magic Dart spell for a long time though; getting the other two magic attack spells normally takes a bit of time. But certainly, hybridising into this skill is mostly to allow for more flexibility with puzzle solutions :)

13. If you bust his shield before the Munarvagir raid, then he won't be there. But if you do it after the Munarvagir raid, then you will be able to see him banter with Thrivaldi.

14. No, I don't believe he's there, but I know for certain he's not exchanging anymore dialog with Thrivaldi during that scene. Good point though.

08-04-2014 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bad2dabone
Ah thanks.

I've decided to spare Fremont in the future- even Kraka, whose dad was eaten by trolls, speaks well of him.

Also, the only one to acknowledge that he's now gone will claim that she thought he was never a threat to the village. I kinda think that eventually the village would just hire him as a guard if he's left alone.
08-04-2014 at 05:34 PM
Bad2dabone
One last set of questions question-

1. Any special tricks to doing a Zero Honor run?

2. Is it okay if I lie to the Jarl at the beginning and tell him that I'm trying to become a hero?

3. And do I have to fail all pickpocketing attempts with everybody? I read something that you lose honor only if you get caught trying to pickpocket.

I just plan to be as rude as possible, do the minimum to help out other people, avoid fighting as much as possible and to rob everything I can that isn't nailed down.

4. Also, any chance of adding in the option of saving your final stats after the game ends like QFG always did?

I know QFI did that and it was a really great feature as it gives you a lot to look forward to since you can import your old character if another sequel ever does come out! :)

[Last edited by jowyblightxv@hotmail.com at 08-05-2014 10:41 PM]
08-05-2014 at 10:19 PM
Fizzii
1. I'm not sure that it's possible to get 0 honor; I think there is a minimum honor achievement though (30-something % off the top of my head). You have to be a liar, try not to help people, be rude to them where possible and steal from them. Consistently pestering them via haggling may also reduce honor (I'm not sure).

2. Telling the Jarl that you want to become a hero isn't a lie. It's probably the most honorable/sensible option for a rogue since it's not very smart of a rogue to tell the Jarl that she steals money :P

3. I don't think you have to fail pickpocketing attempts at all to lose honor!

4. The game automatically saves a hqrecord.dat file in your Saved Games folder.
08-05-2014 at 10:47 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
(2) Yes, the flower does something. After all that trouble getting it, of course you can use it for something :)

(7) Swan maidens can shift between human and swan form at will; there is no hybrid form.
Click here to view the secret text

Click here to view the secret text

(3) Generally speaking, if you succeed at stealing (including pickpocketing) you lose honor, whereas if you fail you get thrown into jail or the stocks. And no, you cannot grind your honor down to zero by repeated pickpocketing.

08-06-2014 at 08:34 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Just won the game! A few questions.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com