Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Puzzle games
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
IP: Logged
icon Puzzle games (+2)  
I'm terrible with descriptions, so I'll give brief ones, and hope either someone can provide more insight to how each is like, or to try and dip your toes into them and see if you like them.

Ichi - Casual 1-button game where you control things like the rotating/appearing/disappearing of blocks with 1 button, and your goal is to get the uncontrollable ball collect all the gold pellets. You can also draw walls along your path so that you can bounce against it later. Puzzles get very brutal early on in regards to optimizing your moves to get an A rank.

Logigun - Some people like to call it a 2D portal. It definitely shares a lot of atmosphere and items, but your gun is more varied: you can also pull some items towards you, or pull yourself to objects, you can shoot switches with electricity which can open/close doors, etc. Looks simple but gets much harder than Portal 2

Rooms - The Main Building - There was a popular flash game involving collecting items and moving across screens to get to the goal, you have to move the screens around in order to achieve this. This follows a similar premise but includes different objects like ladders, teleporters that take you to the screen with a similar teleporter, teleporters that switch the room you're in with a similar teleporter (instead of teleporting you) so you may find objects with you that will provide more use.

First world is easy, but later puzzles will require some planning and foresight.

So Many Me - Possibly my GOTY. This is a puzzle platformer that gets brutal in both puzzle and platforming. Everything about this game is quality. The mechanics and usage of mechanics in order to create puzzles have been creative and varied. The aesthetic is cute and polished. The boss fights are challenging and rewarding being one of the few games I've played recently that have had worthwhile final bosses. There is an alternate section of the game that puts your ability to the test too, and I may never 100% it, it's tough.

As for the basic premise of this game, you control a slime that can collect clones along his journey. You can turn these clones into blocks to jump higher. 2 of you are enough to jump infinitely high by switching between who is the stone block, so you'd think it's easy, but the actual puzzles require more than that. You can eat fruits that let you turn your current clone into a different kind of platform instead of stone block. Red fruits turn your clone into a trampoline, blue into a rising fist, and yellow into a bright light.

You can also ride 3 different mounts that have their own puzzle potential behind them. There are also a small variety of enemies, as well as environmental objects like clouds, that are used well in puzzles

Sokoband - In case you couldn't get enough of chemistry games like SpaceChem, this game should sate your appetite. You control a certain chemical in each stage that may have a number of bonds around it. You have to connect every element to each other (in all but 1 section) making sure all bonds are used up. New mechanics open up very shortly including splitters that break bonds, strengtheners that adds another line to the bond between 2 elements and uses up 1 bond from each, and rotators that can rotate a portion of your current chemical mix so it can fit through spaces in the current puzzle's grid.

Would recommend

Strata
A small puzzle game revolving around wrapping ribbons over a grid of colours. The colour of the ribbon on the very top of a grid space should match the colour of that grid space, so you have to think carefully about what order you wrap ribbons around the grid in order to achieve this. Unfortunately, one strategy (once you discover it) will solve all puzzles, but it's a nice premise
07-25-2014 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
icon Re: Puzzle games (+2)  
More puzzle game recommendations here. I'll try to pick only the most quality ones this time rather than new ones coming out. So some of these are old, but gold:

Gateways - A big metroidvania game where the upgrades are different portal guns. You have the standard portal gun, one that either shrinks or grows everything when you step through it, one that goes back or forward in time, and one that rotates the world when you exit it.

Ittle Dew - Another sort of puzzle metroidvania. The puzzles you face are typically of the sokoban type but there are 3 different power-ups that can let you get through tougher puzzles. Mastery of the game mechanics will allow you to bypass some of these powerups. This game shines in its unique mechanics and the puzzles created from those. Some great puzzles become fantastic puzzles once you try to get through it without one of the powerups.

Chip - A puzzle game where you shoot a charge from a cannon and it needs to hit the sleeping robot located in the stage. There are basic objects like reflectors, but you then experience things like magnets, and portals. Some puzzles have optional tough items to try and pick up which require you to build your solution in a different way.

Sokoboros - a free game this time. It's described as a combination of snake and metroid. It's a very short open-worlded game where you can eat golden apples to grow in length. Some gates require you to be a certain length to open all its buttons at once with your body. Getting as many apples as possible requires tackling the rooms in the right order.

Not the best descriptions to recommend them, but these games are imo very quality.

EDIT: Thanks larrymurk, fixed the link:)

[Last edited by vinheim at 08-03-2014 07:42 PM]
08-03-2014 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Puzzle games (+1)  
Thanks for the suggestions.
Ittle Dew link needs to be fixed.
08-03-2014 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic - combines Sudoku with math logic. Squares with numbers in them are combined into different shapes with different math rules. If a tile group says 60x, it means all the numbers inside have to multiply to 60. You also have the "Straight" rule which means the numbers inside have to be consecutive, and also <,> rule in which squares have to either be greater or lesser the its adjacent square based on which symbol is shown between them.

Later on, you are given 2 boards at once, in which the numbers are the same, but the math hints are different. There are also grids in which some colours aren't given to you, so you have to use logic to fill out which group they belong to.

Back To Bed - puzzle game taking on Escher-style environments, and the age-old concept of having your character turn clockwise when it hits a wall. It's incredibly short (I 100% it in 2 hours), but it has its charm and nightmare mode adds a layer of fun to what you've already experienced in normal mode.

Hexcells/Hexcells Plus - In each stage, you are given a hexagonal grid, with empty cells. Some numbers already may be present on the grid, which represents how many adjacent tiles around it contain numbers too. Later you get additional hints like if the numbers are consecutive, or if they must be split, how many are in a row or column, how many are located in a 2-tile radius, etc. Hexcells is simple, but Plus gets brutal yet satisfying.

Micron - a cannon/multiple cannons shoot balls at a certain rhythm. Using a limited number of tools, you need to guide at least one ball to the exit. Some gates need a certain amount of balls to hit it to break. You get things like portals later one, walls that only a certain coloured ball can go through, etc. Some puzzles have difficult ordering of how you do it as it is real time, for example, finding the best way to conserve your balls because hitting a button to a gate that blocks the exit blocks off your cannon.

Pocket Robot Test Chamber - now for something free. This game is another programming-type game. You have to collect all collectibles in each stage, and you control your character using logic gates that are affected by a variety of things - time passed, which walls are adjacent to you, which collectibles you can detect in your line of sight, which coloured are your unit is in, etc. The levels provided are very satisfying to solve, although there isn't a strong learning curve, it generally goes easy to hard, but every few levels, you get a bunch of really hard levels. Strongly recommended
08-08-2014 at 12:27 AM
Tamsk
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
icon Re: Puzzle games (0)  
vinheim wrote:
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic - combines Sudoku with math logic. Squares with numbers in them are combined into different shapes with different math rules. If a tile group says 60x, it means all the numbers inside have to multiply to 60. You also have the "Straight" rule which means the numbers inside have to be consecutive, and also <,> rule in which squares have to either be greater or lesser the its adjacent square based on which symbol is shown between them.

This sounds like a blend of the existing puzzles Kenken and Futoshiki, which prompts me: Simon Tatham's Puzzle Collection contains those and 34 more, is available for a wide range of platforms, is free, and is awesome. It's been recommended here in the past, but it can't hurt to mention it again for those who missed it or haven't checked it out.
08-08-2014 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
Yeah, it's a definitely a blend of those 2 games, though it has a few additional elements (double boards, straight, painting colours to find groups that belong under one group requirement), but thanks for showing that site. I'll be spending a lot of time on Signposts, Tents and Undead :)
08-08-2014 at 07:36 AM
mayatobosr
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
seems not bad
08-28-2014 at 08:54 PM
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
English Country Tune Stephen Lavelle's masterpiece in my opinion (increpare).

Since then he's also created a scripting engine for "pushing things" games converted to html5 called puzzlescript ( http://www.puzzlescript.net/). I've had a lot of fun recreating DROD levels with this even managing to overcome the current lack of diagonal motion. In any case, the engine is fantastic in its simplicity and plenty of examples can be found in the Gallery there.

I'm not associated with increpare in any way btw. Just a great puzzle design mind I respect
09-19-2014 at 10:13 PM
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
icon Re: Puzzle games (+2)  
ENDING http://robotacid.com/flash/ending/

Very DROD-like actually.

09-23-2014 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Puzzle games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com