Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : re: Move to phpbb.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon re: Move to phpbb. (0)  
Schik wrote:
If we can import the existing users/messages/etc into phpbb, I would have no objection. The more recent versions of tForum require more recent versions of PHP and/or MySQL than drod.net has, so we're not able to upgrade. I believe phpbb has less demanding requirements.
I don't think we should move to phpbb or other forum software.

I picked tForum because out of several packages I tried, it was the only one that didn't require file permissions to be set up. I have to send my admin requests to a busy guy at TLK who translates them to French and gives them to another busy guy at the ISP. So I try to limit what I ask for. Hence, we've got a slightly old version of PHP and hard-set file permissions to work with.

More importantly, Schik and I have done a fair amount of customization that I don't want to lose, and there is the job of importing all our existing data that Schik has described.

I think it's a pretty decent piece of software, and we can fix it up as we go.

-Erik

05-22-2003 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: re: Move to phpbb. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
it was the only one that didn't require file permissions to be set up. I have to send my admin requests to a busy guy at TLK who translates them to French and gives them to another busy guy at the ISP. So I try to limit what I ask for. Hence, we've got a slightly old version of PHP and hard-set file permissions to work with.
Just out of curiosity.... Huh? :huh

I've installed phpbb before, and just took another look at the install docs. You do have to change one file's permissions, but... you can do that in any FTP software. You shouldn't have to have the ISP involved... I just checked for kicks and was able to change a file's permissions on drod.net.

That's not to say I'm arguing for moving over to phpbb - that "if" I gave was a VERY BIG if. Importing everything seamlessly sounds like an interesting technical challenge, but not one that I have the time for in the near future. Anyways, I think that changing permissions would be the least of the worries in trying to migrate to an entirely different forum.

05-22-2003 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: re: Move to phpbb. (0)  
Schik wrote:
Just out of curiosity.... Huh? :huh
I guess I was just being grumpy and saying "IT CAN'T BE DONE", because I had a hard time figuring something out a while back that had to do with file permissions. Maybe it was actually much easier than I thought.

But I'm not one to argue fine points when a decision can be made based on something more clear. Like you say...
Importing everything seamlessly sounds like an interesting technical challenge, but not one that I have the time for in the near future.
Amen.

-Erik

05-22-2003 at 07:05 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : re: Move to phpbb.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com