Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Automatically saved files
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Automatically saved files (0)  
If you somehow manage to get your DROD corrupted, and can't get it to start again, you'll lose all non exported holds and your player. Could Holds and players be exported automatically after changes to avoid data loss?
09-22-2004 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Automatically saved files (0)  
You can sometimes recover data as it is now. Every so often - certainly every time you quit DROD, maybe other times too - your player.dat, text.dat and drod1_6.dat are copied to files with a .da_ extension. If you rename these back to .dat, you may regain your corrupt data.

"Oook!"
09-22-2004 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
The problem is that when DROD corrupts while in use, both the .dat and.da_ files become corrupt.

I quite like the idea, although perhaps these "backups" should be saved to a separate folder, or perhaps even have a separate folder for each hold, so that they can be kept separate from "proper" holds, and not get mixed up with each other (I would imagine that this sort of thing will produce a large number of backup copies after a while).

09-22-2004 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hazekel
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I have a desktop and a laptop. As I have already played and won DROD 3 : the City Beneath I have the entire levels saved automatically, but I want to play it on my laptop and have access to my progress and make it easier to find hidden levels, but the auto saves appear to be different from DROD 1 and 2 as the DAT files appear to be unchanged and unmodified.

Where are the autosaves in DROD 3 and 4? I would like to copy them over to my laptop.
03-27-2016 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Automatically saved files (+2)  
From TCB onwards only the core game data is saved in the program directory; your user data is separated into an area that's more writeable. I'm not on a machine with Windows and DROD at the moment, but try C:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-3_0 or something similar. On Linux/Mac they should be in your home directory under .caravel.

The other option is to just export a .player file (from the Choose Player screen), then import that on the other system. That has the advantage that you can merge your progress between machines later on, instead of having to move everything back and forth. However, an import only imports data for holds that are currently installed -- copying the .dat files back and forth transfers the extra holds across as well.
03-28-2016 at 03:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Automatically saved files
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com