Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Oremites don't eat Gentryii (Probably an oversight)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
IP: Logged
icon Oremites don't eat Gentryii (0)  
So, despite being made of metal, Gentryii will still move onto oremites. The oremites will then ignore the Gentryii and its chain.

I would expect a Gentryii head or a chain segment to be destroyed if it entered an oremite square.

(But, what would happen if a head entered an oremite square, but the rest of the chain was on dry land? There's no other situation in-game yet where you see a chain without a Gentryii head.)

06-26-2014 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: Oremites don't eat Gentryii (+1)  
Chaco wrote:
So, despite being made of metal, Gentryii will still move onto oremites. The oremites will then ignore the Gentryii and its chain.

I would expect a Gentryii head or a chain segment to be destroyed if it entered an oremite square.

(But, what would happen if a head entered an oremite square, but the rest of the chain was on dry land? There's no other situation in-game yet where you see a chain without a Gentryii head.)
Adamantium

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

06-27-2014 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
We actually do have an explanation for this, it just never made it into the game.

Sadly, it's not my awesome explanation for it. ._. But there's a good one, I'll let Mrimer take it.
06-27-2014 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Banjooie wrote:
We actually do have an explanation for this, it just never made it into the game.

Sadly, it's not my awesome explanation for it. ._. But there's a good one, I'll let Mrimer take it.
Flawless consistency.
06-27-2014 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tempestadept
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 141
icon Re: Oremites don't eat Gentryii (0)  
Chaco wrote:
Well, in EotA 1S3E you can break the chain and tail simply disappears. I understand why this happens if gentryii's head falls into a pit (it's obviously heavy and just drags the chain down), but if you break it in the middle... Maybe it can shed its tail like a lizard? But why doesn't it free itself from the wall? Gentryii behavior and abilities need to be further researched.
06-27-2014 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Well, Mrimer hasn't given the /official/ lore explanation, but I will tell you that they are /not/, in fact, very tiny oremites.

Though I asked. Really nicely.
06-28-2014 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Banjooie wrote:
I will tell you that they are /not/, in fact, very tiny oremites.
Huh? I don't understand what you mean. Did you mean to say "gentryii are not gigantic oremites"?

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-28-2014 02:07 AM]
06-28-2014 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Yes. I was very much hoping we would go with 'genetically modified oremites'. Sadly, yada yada yada REASONS we had to go with I think something along the lines of 'they're made of/plated with a metal oremites aren't interested in'.
06-28-2014 at 06:45 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Banjooie wrote:
Yes. I was very much hoping we would go with 'genetically modified oremites'. Sadly, yada yada yada REASONS we had to go with I think something along the lines of 'they're made of/plated with a metal oremites aren't interested in'.
Whatever those reasons are, they can only be incorrect.

06-28-2014 at 07:02 AM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Maybe they're made of silicon or some other metalloid? Or maybe passivated chromium or something like that. Sounds like the metal equivalent to spoiled food, or would you want to eat through an oxide layer first?
06-28-2014 at 08:04 AM
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
I believe somewhere it mentioned them being chromed. So that's a possibility.

I'm looking at it this way... if they are made of oremite resistant metal, then why hasn't someone build a crushing trap to lure one in, to get a block of the metal to use for weapons? It could be that the metal that they're made of is too hard... it's just too brittle when made into weapons. That will be less of an issue for giant sphere than a blade. And very hard alloys might be enough to discourage oremites.
06-28-2014 at 08:26 AM
Chaco
Maybe they're literally made of greckles. Oremites don't eat greckles, as we found in DROD: RPG.

06-28-2014 at 01:31 PM
Tamsk
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
I don't think the lore problem is explaining oremites not eating gentryii, that's easy, several good possibilities above. It's oremites not eating the chain that the Empire was using to restrain them, which is much less plausible to make out of something special.
06-28-2014 at 02:52 PM
Banjooie
bwross wrote: I'm looking at it this way... if they are made of oremite resistant metal, then why hasn't someone build a crushing trap to lure one in, to get a block of the metal to use for weapons? It could be that the metal that they're made of is too hard... it's just too brittle when made into weapons. That will be less of an issue for giant sphere than a blade. And very hard alloys might be enough to discourage oremites.

Well, first off, gentryii are canonically limited to the level you found them in. Because the Empire thought they were dumb and refused to use them. So it wouldn't really come up.

Secondly, I'm not sure a crushing trap would work.
06-28-2014 at 07:37 PM
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
If a crushing trap doesn't work, it's again because the Gentryii are too hard. It doesn't take a lot of knowledge to build a trap capable of crushing with more than enough force, so I'm sure they can manage that part... the issue would be in material strength.

Having them all trapped in one level because they're not being used are just more reasons for coming up for a way to reduce them to ingots for study.
06-28-2014 at 08:13 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: Oremites don't eat Gentryii (+4)  
Clearly the key is to push one gentryii into another several hundered tiles in the space of a single turn using pushing weapons and mimics. This device, the gentryii accelerator, would probably produce the necessary force.

06-28-2014 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Oremites don't eat Gentryii (Probably an oversight)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com