Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I like about TSS
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
IP: Logged
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (0)  
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but there's also unpredictable scripting at points, such as TLW: 2N. It's not obvious what the "rules of the place" are, so it's a trial and error kind of puzzle.

07-05-2014 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+1)  
How much more obvious can "don't disturb the walls" possibly get?

07-05-2014 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I don't know. I think there are a number of hints about this.

Post collision

[Last edited by Jacob at 07-05-2014 11:56 PM]
07-05-2014 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The scroll just outside the room says 'Go on in peace.'

The guard is admonished for damaging the walls.

The walls are damagable, and the room is trivial /if/ you can damage the walls.

I don't know how many more clues you need.
07-06-2014 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+2)  
I like that the hold is huge and hard

I like that the puzzles are more lynchpin than long executions

I liked the turning aspect and changing between both skies

I liked all the optional content and the rewards for clearing secrets

I like the new mechanics and how they were implemented, specificially temporal tokens, constructs and traps

My only complaint is voice acting for some bits, but the game is a 9+/10 easily for me. This is the best way to end a series
07-06-2014 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
I love the dagger: I name him Sting: I totally feel like Bilbo fighting Shelob when I have this. It's all so up-close and personal.

I love that everything in the game is so familiar, yet interestingly nuanced.

I love that fighting four goblins at once is now possible.

I love that I can stroll through a gateway of two evil eyes and nonchalantly punch them out with a left-right jab.

I love that I can tiptoe over trap doors, sometimes.

No spoilers for me, (ok, ok a little bit of looking at Shark Joe's youtube) but I'm thinking there's probably a Raygun lying around somewhere.

07-06-2014 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
I like the fact that there is a way now for Beethro himself to cut briar.

I loved that feature in RPG, and it's completely natural in TSS.

07-06-2014 at 04:12 PM
vinheim
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+3)  
Now that I've done more of this hold (I've unlocked the MoAR and other levels), I have more things to add

First off, forgot to comment on the music. There were a couple tracks first shown off in Gunthro which I loved, I would stay in certain rooms just hearing it loop. In TSS I'm hearing more of those tracks plus some additional ones that give the same feeling.

The level design reminds me of Gigantic Jewel Lost in some parts which I loved.

I've been opened up to some additional elements in the game like the stuff RCS stamps unlock. Manipulating flowers and rayguns is so fun.

The puzzle quality later on in the hold just goes even higher. Solving MoAR rooms is so satisfying and I managed to do all of Empty Space by myself, each of which has fascinated me especially the one with the guard and the aumtlich. Another good level is the Tar Annex.

I've unlocked around 750 rooms making this 3x larger than its predecessors. You guys really poured a lot of love into this hold and I'm going to donate more money to this game until I've paid full AAA price or more because I feel it deserves that. Thought you guys were slacking off because the release took so long :P, but the effort you guys put into this is too much, in a good way.

I'm happy that Gunthro got greenlit and hope to see TSS greenlit too so I can replay it all or at least have my challenges show up

Thanks for a fantastic game, probably the best I'll ever play :D
07-08-2014 at 09:03 AM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Now that I conquered it I can easily say that this was an epic adventure and the fact that I still have to visit lots of places and that there are alternative endings is probably the best thing I could ever hope for!

I secreted something because I think it's spoiler.

I loved how the story "turned out"
Click here to view the secret text

I loved that most of the puzzles had me stump and made me reflect for a long time, you definitely achieved the "tremendously rewarding experience for the hardcore gamer"

I loved the music, I'm not sure what I can add to this topic but this, great job!

I can't actually finish my speech because there's still a lot of things to do but I found the difficulty curve really good for me, the elements introduction worked fine for me.

Thanks to all who worked for TSS! And now, the secret hunt begins!

07-08-2014 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Rank Points: 414
All done!

Since this seems as good a place as any, I'd like to say I thought TSS was brilliant - an absolutely fitting end to the series. I only played GatEB in January this year and I thought it seemed a bit rushed, particularly with some of the voice acting and the post-mastery but I can't complain about anything like that here. It's obvious that a lot of effort and hard work has gone in to this game and I'd like to express my thanks to everyone who was involved.

I'm one of these players who likes to try and do everything in one playthrough, so I'd be interested to know whether you have to see the bad ending before you can see the good ending? At the point where I triggered the bad ending, I had cleared all rooms and levels available to me (except for 5 secret rooms I'd missed...) and I already had the means to ask the hardest question...

So now I'm wondering what's next for Caravel Games and Drod? I hope I haven't misinterpreted mrimer's comments in the credits :(

Having said that, I've been playing Drod for 9 years now, and I've played a lot (as you can see from my highscores :D) yet I still have a lot of holds left to play so there's plenty of life in this yet :thumbsup

Progress - Gavin G
07-18-2014 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tempestadept
Rank Points: 141
martz wrote:
I'm one of these players who likes to try and do everything in one playthrough, so I'd be interested to know whether you have to see the bad ending before you can see the good ending?
I went for the good ending without seeing the bad one.
07-18-2014 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
tempestadept wrote:
martz wrote:
I'm one of these players who likes to try and do everything in one playthrough, so I'd be interested to know whether you have to see the bad ending before you can see the good ending?
I went for the good ending without seeing the bad one.
so did I.
and I discovered later that even if I restore to an older save, I can't get the bad ending into my playthrough anymore, so I'll always have this annoyance of a level without 100% exploration.

07-18-2014 at 06:31 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
I've seen the good ending and the bad one, but the Epilogue level isn't 100% explored yet. Interesting.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-18-2014 at 08:18 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
disoriented wrote:
I've seen the good ending and the bad one, but the Epilogue level isn't 100% explored yet. Interesting.
There's a "middle row" that you can explore by visiting one of the post-mastery levels.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-18-2014 08:27 PM]
07-18-2014 at 08:27 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
silver wrote:
so did I.
and I discovered later that even if I restore to an older save, I can't get the bad ending into my playthrough anymore, so I'll always have this annoyance of a level without 100% exploration.
Restoring to the start of CC would always give you a position where none of the final conditions for the good ending have been met. From there, you should be able to see the entirety of the bad ending.
07-18-2014 at 11:20 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
that did it. guess I hadn't restored early enough in my earlier attempt to do that. thanks.

07-19-2014 at 11:20 AM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I've been very impressed with the ways secret rooms have been hidden. There are very few secrets that require you to spot a secret wall with no further clues. I particularly like the use of symmetrical level layouts to suggest the presence of secret rooms.

I also like the extensive use of optional levels. It's a good way of including some rather difficult rooms while still maintaining a more manageable difficulty level in the main sequence of the hold.

07-19-2014 at 09:47 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+4)  
I unexpectedly loved the powder keg plus pickaxe combo. Those rooms where you have to carefully disassemble a mess of kegs were very satisfying. I think just those two elements by themselves could be a whole game on its own. (Though that is not the Caravel Way.) Maybe somebody will make a big hold that is just those puzzles, and I can on a rampage.

The temporal split points are a game element I've seen before (Braid, others) but if there was ever a game they belonged in, it would be DROD. I love how well they work with undo. Thinking about the programming involved, it seems like this could be a difficult feature to add. This is also a game element that shows you, the player, how well you know DROD, because you have to model in your mind what all the monsters and elements will do.

Gentryii... I really appreciate that the rules for how they work are so intuitive. This seems like an element that could easily become quirky and unpredictable. Good job throwing in intro rooms so I could try them out.

The new music is great, from both Emmett Plant and Jon Sonnenberg. I will still turn off music sometimes so it doesn't drive me nuts hearing the same 2 or 4 songs for hours. But after I get to another level, I switch it back on.

The new graphics and updates to old... all first-rate pixel art. I guess Alex did all of that? The RCS was so terrific. I loved the jolting of the cars on the track.

Jeez, I'm not even halfway through. This game is so good.

-Erik

07-22-2014 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Rank Points: 175
Another thing I like about TSS:

Erik liked it. I mean by that, it's very nice to see the culmination of all of DROD's progress, and it's even nicer when the man himself appreciates the end result so much. And, not only Erik if I broaden my vision; judging by every comment in the thread, absolutely everyone has had their own fair share of likes, to varying degrees but always in overwhelming amounts compared to the little details that were nitpicked (not to downgrade their importance either) out of the bunch. The fact people liked TSS so much is a thing I like, because that means DROD is going to stay alive, and doing well; more usermade content, more of that rich community.

07-22-2014 at 04:39 AM
Arazu
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
Time travel tokens. This mechanic is something I always enjoyed in other games, but the usual approach was introducing it for a few easy puzzles and then dropping everything just when things started getting interesting. DROD is the only game where the creators weren't afraid to introduce some actual challange, resulting in late-game rooms with really satisfying solutions. Also, time clones combine well with nearly every room type, so I'm looking forward to what future architects come up with.

All new weapons. The pushing/stunning behavior has so much potential that I think the main TSS hold barely scratched the surface. (Some rooms showcased it well though, for example the secret room in Seeding Grounds.) I especially like how the weapons can be used equally well for puzzle and combat levels.

Spike traps and powder kegs. I generally prefer elements with simple rules and lots of potential for emergent behavior when combined with other elements, these two provide great examples.

Gentryii. I think the predictable movement they have is a much better fit for DROD than the old snake AI. Serpents usually have a difficulty cap for me, above which I get really frustrated with them, however I enjoyed solving even the hardest gentryii rooms.

The levels Shattered Mine, Temporal Anomaly, Lemming Beach and R. Although I liked most of the levels, these were the ones where just about every room was interesting and enjoyable.

All new tilesets and the updates to old ones.

Most of the soundtrack, but mainly the first Greenhouse puzzle music, the second Caldera puzzle music, the title theme, Halph's theme, Tendry's theme and the music which plays first during the Turning.

The funky voice acting. (Am I the only one who actually likes it?) Great examples are the Pit Thing, Bombus Gadhan, the diamond doily woman and the FC.

Most of the plot, although I can't really comment on anything individually.

[Last edited by Arazu at 07-22-2014 02:30 PM]
07-22-2014 at 02:19 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Some of the voice acting is really great. I was impressed with...

They sound friendly and likable, which was a relief after the tense previous level. I believe these roles were done by Tony Porter.

The writing on the level intro texts is interesting, and I thought it was a good idea to not have them all be jokes. It reminded me of the game Myst, where you found pieces of background story in different places. Pearls wrote them, I thnk. I purposefully ignored the text so I could hear it read out loud as a mini-audio drama. Background sound effects added to some was a nice touch.

-Erik

07-28-2014 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
ErikH2000 wrote:
I believe these roles were done by Tony Porter.

All of Tony's recordings were top-notch, both in quality and character. I loved them.

07-28-2014 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
ErikH2000 wrote:

The writing on the level intro texts is interesting, and I thought it was a good idea to not have them all be jokes. It reminded me of the game Myst, where you found pieces of background story in different places. Pearls wrote them, I thnk. I purposefully ignored the text so I could hear it read out loud as a mini-audio drama. Background sound effects added to some was a nice touch.

-Erik

Myst was my first computer video game, and remains probably one of the most influential games, developmentally, I've ever played. I was maybe, seven? Eight? I enjoy the format of a story you sort of have to 'dig up' and I'll probably be talking more about this sometime soon. They aren't anywhere close to perfect, but I'm, overall, pretty happy with how they came out.

07-28-2014 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I felt that way about Metroid Prime too (as in Myst). The story was entirely gathered in little snippets as you scanned items, creatures, computer logs. The overall effect was incredibly moody and creepy.

07-28-2014 at 03:41 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+5)  
Alright, so with 524 rooms completed I think I may finally have a grasp of this game (at least a bit). I liked it. Thus I’m writing here. Most of all, I think, I liked the story. It was epic and complex and I didn’t understand everything, but it gave some good chills down my spine from the excitement. I think it’s the story I’ve liked best of any computer game I’ve ever played.

The next portion contains some spoilers:

All in all I am very pleased with this game. Before TSS I would have to say that the peak of the main games was at JtRH, and I’m pleased to say that is no longer the case. TSS ranks amongst the very best holds out there! I just wish there had been more speed potions in the game :-)

08-10-2014 at 10:26 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Blondbeard wrote:
I liked it. Thus I’m writing here. Most of all, I think, I liked the story. It was epic and complex and I didn’t understand everything, but it gave some good chills down my spine from the excitement. I think it’s the story I’ve liked best of any computer game I’ve ever played.
Wow, that's high praise! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your feedback here on the game mechanics, puzzles and level presentation. We're so glad you liked so much about TSS :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-11-2014 07:38 PM]
08-11-2014 at 07:38 PM
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
First of all, I like it's pure existance. Thanks to the dev interview I realized how much of a fan game this really is and that there could be a timeline where everything stopped with KDD. What a chilling thought!

Then there's the great story that keeps me asking for more yet again, even though the conclusion is satisfying.

The level design that kicked into high gear with TCB, but got even better with TSS.

The huuuuge amount of content. Seriously, the onslaught of rooms just didn't stop and they weren't just filler. They are all different and have their own puzzle.

The new features like the weapons and time token. I had so much fun with the time token alone. A great addition to DROD!

The voice acting and DRODs quirky music.

At this point I'm drooling again. Whoops... :D But this is how I feel about this game. Finishing with the good ending in a 12hours marathon of CW3, More fluff and MoaR with the chat and especially Nuntar cheering is something I'll never forget my whole life.

So, thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who was involved!

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
08-11-2014 at 11:14 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
mrimer wrote:
Wow, that's high praise! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your feedback here on the game mechanics, puzzles and level presentation. We're so glad you liked so much about TSS :)

My time-investment is a drop in the ocean compared to yours ;) I just realized I forgot to say something. Thanks so much for taking the time to develop this game. That goes to everyone involved, but especially to you, mrimer. I am truly humbled by people spending so much time on a labor of love. You may not have become rich, but I hope you realize how many thankful thoughts are sent your way from all over the world.
08-12-2014 at 07:00 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Thanks so much, Blondbeard. It was a lot of time, but it was also a dream I had, and a budding creation from inside all of us that somehow wanted to exist. It was a pleasure and an honor to create this series, and I'm so happy we were able to share it with you.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-14-2014 at 01:57 AM
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
So I've only (just?) got to the bad ending, but I think I've seen enough to say that TSS is pretty darn impressive. I agree with almost everything that's been said here and I won't bother repeating them - but a few more things that I don't think have been mentioned much:

*I like how the title screen changes 'skin' when you load a hold made in a different DROD version. That's a nice touch.

*the new weapons - I like that there's a good variety of them, and how they 'feel' so natural to use. Collectively they are probably my favourite new element.

*I like how the TSS hold itself shows off what can be done well with the scripting engine - the custom weapons and monsters in particular.

*I like the references to things on the forum (I'm thinking of:

*the difficulty - I think that TSS is quite hard, more than TCB, and for me personally it's a tiny bit too hard towards the later levels. That said, I think this is a good thing, and I would rather this than it be too easy. Besides, every room that I've solved without looking at H&S has been genuinely rewarding, and I can tell throughout the whole hold that the attention given to quality puzzle design is first class.

Overall I am very pleased - the positives far, far outweigh the negatives, and the whole development team should be proud of what they've created. Thank you for all of your hard work, it's been well worth the wait!
08-15-2014 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I like about TSS
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com