Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I like about TSS
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
IP: Logged
icon Things I like about TSS (+2)  
I decided to keep up the tradition of "Things I like for (New Game Name here). Me personally? I like everything! What I like most is the Gentryii. I always wanted to see an epic boss monster, and now we have one! Just make an unchained or extra-long Gentryii and have fun with it!

06-25-2014 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+2)  
Infinite. Puzzle. Potential.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
06-25-2014 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+1)  
I love stories, and so far TSS has gone way up above everything else in the other DROD games. Which means by the time I'm done, it'll have gone EVEN higher up above.

06-25-2014 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tamsk
Rank Points: 254
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+3)  
One small but really nice convenience upgrade that hasn't received much mention I've seen: the blast radius highlighting for all bombs in a chain. No more tedious clicking around (or suicide-testing) trying to find safe spots, and easily identified linked sets of bombs. :thumbsup
06-25-2014 at 11:17 PM
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
Another small but really useful convenience is being able
to click on doors to see the orbs that affect them: saves a lot of clicking about searching for the back mapping.

It's especially cool that you can do that on older holds too,
if you play them in the new engine.

06-25-2014 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
karlpopper
I wanna be the first to say; "Finally, a configurable number of undo steps, along with undo on death".

Reeeelax, but you still have to use your brain.

06-25-2014 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
The last level is the best last level in any DROD game ever.

Also the credits music is catchy as hell.

Also the music everywhere is amazing.

Arky and The Critic.

Also everything.

And everything else.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-26-2014 05:02 AM]
06-26-2014 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
I'm only partway through, but:

I love the new music. Or at least, the music that I don't remember from before. The caldera themes especially.

The temporal aumtlich is (are? I really have no idea) amazing in concept and theme and execution and voice.

The level layouts! Having the map seems to open up more options for letting levels vary in size and shape and theme and organization much more than past DRODs, which works great. Sometimes just a few rooms is a level's natural size.

The plot's actually pretty decent. There are some great exchanges between Beethro and, well, pretty much everyone. Plus the plot has plenty of my favorite elements.

Everyone mentions the temporal tokens, but I'm particularly looking forward to seeing what people do with the element introduced in SG.

Gentryii can still bite me, though. And frequently do.

06-26-2014 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DezzTech
Rank Points: 327
I'm still playing, but so far I like everything.

This game is absolutely perfect in every way. I had unreasonable expectations when it was released (thinking it would be better than all the previous DROD games combined), and after realising that, I was prepared to be slightly dissapointed, but... TSS actually exceeded my expectations. I have to say, at first a lot of things felt really weird, and I wasn't sure how to feel about them (such as new sounds, new graphics for older styles, and how the game is structured), but now that I got used to them, I really think the change was for the better.

Also I really like the checkpoint placement and multiple undo.
I set it at 5 (which, apparently, is actually 6), and it feels absolutely perfect for my playing style.

I have to say, TSS might be not only the best puzzle game I've ever played, it might be the best game I've ever played, period. (And I still haven't even completed it yet!)

Again, thank you Caravel for making such great games.

And just in case someone is wondering, my most favourite levels so far are WG, TA, WBCEND/CTA, LB, AL. That was a hard choice actually, considering how good all the levels are.

06-26-2014 at 09:18 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
- World maps
- zch and kallor levels and hold art in an official hold
- gentryii
- time travel
- multiple levels of hold completion and mastery

06-26-2014 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Click here to view the secret text

06-26-2014 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
My favorite level by far is The Rooted Hub. Arky is such a card! :lol

06-26-2014 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Pretty much everything I've seen so far! You guys really managed to exceed my pretty high expectations :thumbsup

A few things that really stood out so far:
- the plot is once again excellent, and I finally get the feeling all those loose ends from the previous games are gonna be tied together.
- Outstanding levels so far have been SM and TA. I don't know what it is about them but solving the puzzles in there just makes you feel so smart.
- my favourite object so far is probably the gentryii.
- even though I haven't tried it yet, I'm so looking forward to the improved scrpting system. Seems like you can do pretty amazing things with it. Also, syntax highlighting :)

I'm also positively surprised by temporal split tokens. I think you can do some terrible, terrible timing puzzles with them, but the puzzles in the hold are all very clever and forgiving. Also, those things must be an optimizer's nightmare (or dream, depending on how masochistic you are).
06-26-2014 at 08:38 PM
Tamsk
Rank Points: 254
I've only just noticed this, and I'm still not sure whether I'm just imagining it... but is the lighting level on the TSS title screen tied to the system clock? If so, very very sneaky, and very cool.
06-27-2014 at 04:15 PM
Emojk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 94
I think that has always been the case, or at least has been since TCB. And I have always found that pretty cool.
06-27-2014 at 04:22 PM
karlpopper
That creepy little flutter when Queens spawn ... makes me feel a little queasy.

06-27-2014 at 06:45 PM
azb
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (0)  
And a queasy feeling is something that makes you LIKE a game?

06-27-2014 at 08:02 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
icon Re: Things I like about TSS (+4)  
I liked the music. I liked the new scripting features. I really liked all the new elements. I liked unlimited undo.

I LOVED the TSS hold itself. I LOVED the hundreds of clever puzzles, of which listing some would take far too long. I especially loved the LB level; both in the concept, which was great, and the puzzles, which overall I thought were the best in the entire game. The EW/HW1/HW2/HW3 levels are an honorable mention, as they were also extremely incredible. I also LOVED two of the new custom weapons (the ones featured in R and D), and am loving that I might get to use some of them soon! :) Overall, the TSS hold is better than any official hold ever released! Possibly the best out of any hold EVER released.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 06-29-2014 05:37 AM]
06-29-2014 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
billbuckner
Rank Points: 57
Out of everything great about this hold, the music is really, really good. TCB was my favorite hold when it came to music thus far, but this has exceeded it by a decent margin. Just fantastic stuff.
06-29-2014 at 06:26 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Now that I've conquered the hold (albeit nowhere even approaching mastery), a couple things to add:

Everything from TA onward was phenomenal. I really liked how the various levels mix things up - neat layout levels, plot, more traditional levels, scripted un"DROD" puzzles, a particularly massive and elegant penultimate level, and finally a very, very nice "culminating experience" at the end. Having that variety is just fantastic.

Much of the difficulty has been perfectly pitched. Rooms go from Clearly Impossible (TM) to giving potential ideas to being solved, making just enough incremental progress to keep me from hitting the brick wall of frustration. Plus, the solutions tend to be really cool in the later half!

Soundtrack is solid throughout. I'm not a huge fan of the older tracks, but I left the music on for when the new ones popped up. The Patronage's soundtrack was a nice surprise.

And I like how there's still so much left to go. Perhaps I'll change my mind once I see how brutal the remainder is.

06-30-2014 at 01:40 AM
azb
Another thing I like about TSS is that it brings the old music back. After a long seperation, I am finally reunited with Brood (Foundation) and Devious (Deep Spaces), which are my favorites.

06-30-2014 at 09:26 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Agreed 100%
06-30-2014 at 09:50 PM
Emojk
That map. That glorious map. When I got *real* access to it, I just squealed.
So many levels.
So many hours left.
Yeepee!

[Last edited by Emojk at 07-02-2014 04:46 PM]
07-01-2014 at 07:04 PM
karlpopper
Aside from enjoying feeling queasy...

I like that all of the level introductions are now excellently voiced.

And, in a kind of inside-baseball way I do like that these bit parts of voice narration are all done by DROD hardcore fans: the ultimate Drod game truly features its central fanbase.

I also enjoy, in a masochistic way, that the game's creator has stepped up to play the role of the world's hammiest Hammer Horror villain.

I look forward to the Drod sing-along edition.

Dun dun dun .... ErikH as Arky!

[Last edited by karlpopper at 07-04-2014 07:24 PM : Formatting]
07-02-2014 at 12:09 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
After conquering the hold, still pretty much everything. Definitely stood up to all expectations.

More really cool stuff (all slight spoilers towards the end of the game, but nothing major):

07-02-2014 at 07:08 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The complete lack of levels dedicated to the manipulation of serpents.
07-04-2014 at 01:25 AM
Emojk
Aren't there a few?

07-04-2014 at 07:09 AM
Banjooie
No, that level has a few serpent rooms in it. That's different.

07-04-2014 at 07:22 AM
azb
Don't forget that TH also has a small section dedicated to all three snakes, and yep, some rooms DO involve manipulation there.

07-04-2014 at 10:59 AM
Banjooie
Can we not talk about that secret room because I--

there is a story about that secret room, that some people here got to see.
07-04-2014 at 05:07 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I like about TSS
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com