Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Any input at all seems to close level entrance screens
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon Any input at all seems to close level entrance screens (0)  
DROD seems to be overly eager to skip past level entrance screens, which is a shame when I'm trying to listen to the voiceover.

Platform: Linux, with xmonad (so it passes through some keyboard events? I dunno)

To reproduce: Open a level entrance screen. Press a key. Any key. Really. Including volume controls. Even keys normally bound to do things like change workspaces sometimes work (is DROD responding to keyrelease events?)

Observed Behaviour: DROD exits the level entrance screen and I have to go restore to the level start again.

Expected Behaviour: DROD does not yet exit the level entrance screen.

06-24-2014 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Any input at all seems to close level entrance screens (0)  
Sorry, are you saying that you want no keyboard input to exit the level entrance screen? That seems too conservative.

However, we can restrict exiting on only, say, Space, Enter and ESC. How about that?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-24-2014 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
mrimer wrote:
Sorry, are you saying that you want no keyboard input to exit the level entrance screen? That seems too conservative.

However, we can restrict exiting on only, say, Space, Enter and ESC. How about that?

I'm not sure. I'm just complaining :P. I think that restricting it to those three is probably the best though, or checking if it's looking for releases without matching presses too and ignoring those if that's the case?
06-24-2014 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
While were at it, I suggest that clicking the mouse should also not leave the entrance screen. (Or at least the area where you can click should be restricted; maybe add a button or something.)

The reason for it is that I often switch to a different window while listening to the narration, and later try to switch back by clicking in DRODs window, thereby inadvertently dismissing the level entrance screen.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

06-24-2014 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bwross
Rank Points: 376
mrimer wrote:

That would be much better. Certainly not volume control keys... with dialogue audio now playing on those screens I've wanted to adjust the volume and that shouldn't be ending the dialogue.
06-24-2014 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Any input at all seems to close level entrance screens (+1)  
mrimer wrote:

I would prefer those keys plus any key currently bound to movement to just those keys, since I usually dismiss level entrance screens by hitting my numpad.

06-25-2014 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
But...but...what if your numpad is too close to itself?

Okay, that doesn't make any sense. I'll have these two sets of keys only exit the Level Start Screen. Let's see how that feels.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-25-2014 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Any input at all seems to close level entrance screens
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com