Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : TSS - sound doesn't play
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged
icon TSS - sound doesn't play (0)  
Just a minor bug. For whatever reason, sometimes when I start the game, it has no sound at all. I checked settings, etc. A restart fixes it. Slightly interesting fact: both times it's happened so far was very shortly after I switched my monitor from portrait to landscape orientation. I do doubt this has anything to do with the problem though.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 06-22-2014 02:13 PM]
06-22-2014 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: TSS - sound doesn't play (0)  
This isn't a new bug. If DROD can't acquire sound resources, I'm not sure there's a way to "fix" that on start-up. Any ideas from developers?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-22-2014 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Can you know from the code if the sound is not available, and can you try to reclaim it during runtime?

I can imagine it working in the way that it checks during the door/initialization sequence if it can access the sound driver and notify user if it can't. It could say something like "DROD has failed to acquire sound resources. You can try to reclaim them manually or restart the game and try again." with three buttons: "Play without sound", "Try again", "Quit".

06-22-2014 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Yes, it's a programmatic detection. We log it in drod.err. Having on-screen feedback would be nice.

06-22-2014 at 03:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
@mrimer I assigned this to you since you're the most knowledgable about these nitty gritty technical details. My suggestion is to, in case DROD fails to access an audio output device to show a short message along the lines of:

"DROD has failed to access a sound device. It might be caused by another software claiming full ownership."

And two buttons: retry and ignore.

A better solution could be built from that (I'd love to have a way to select the output device used by DROD).

10-03-2020 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I appreciate the neat ideas!

Moving this to the FR board.

Currently, the sound setup is inside InitSound() in Main.cpp (see the comment there).

We could, for instance, check once on the title screen if the sound has been disabled, and ask the user if they want to attempt reacquiring. Still, exiting the game via ESC and restarting is nearly as simple.

10-22-2020 at 02:10 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : TSS - sound doesn't play
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com