Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : (The) Prodigy (Anyone even heard of them?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
IP: Logged
icon (The) Prodigy (+2)  
I'm not sure if the prodigy ever made it in America or Canada or Australia or wherever you DROD-ophiles come from, as they really only just made it in Britain. They are a band that does electronic sort of music and I was just wondering if anyone from Britain or anyone else who has heard of them thinks that they are good, or if they think that they are just complete nutters. I think that the prodigy have a bad name, and I don't know why, apart from maybe 'smack my b**** up', their most successful and incidentally their most hated song. So, has anyone heard of them? does anyone like them? has anyone got their new album? Does anyone think they are complete nutters? does anyone even know what this thread is about? Am I rambling on?...Yes, I am. So get replying. :)

Edit: the reason I put (the) prodigy was because two of their albums said just Prodigy on but the other two said The Prodigy, for some reason. Does anyone know the real answer?

[Edited by wackhead_uk on 09-15-2004 at 09:34 PM GMT: Name?]

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 09-15-2004 at 10:35 PM GMT: Mild censoring action.]
09-15-2004 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: (The) Prodigy (+1)  
I would say that in the US their song "Breathe" was the most successful, followed by "Firestarter". Haven't heard much from them since 1997 or 1998 though.

09-15-2004 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: (The) Prodigy (0)  
They're plenty popular in the US, as much as any dance/electronica band can be. That genre is less popular in the US than in Europe. But bands like Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fat Boy Slim, Basement Jaxx--you hear them all the time, and any major city will have at least one radio station that plays it.

I've got a few Prodigy CDs. Love the video for Smack my B**** Up.

-Erik

09-15-2004 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
wackhead_uk wrote:
So, has anyone heard of them? does anyone like them? has anyone got their new album? Does anyone think they are complete nutters? does anyone even know what this thread is about?
Isn't this the band with that song called "How much is the fish?" ...or something like that?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-16-2004 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
I don't remember that one...

And yes, the video for smack my b***** up is the best one ver made, without quesiton. The new album is really good, and I would definitely recommend getting it to listen to track 10. The best album is 'baby's got a temper' I think, with 'voodoo people'. REALLY good song.
09-16-2004 at 09:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ack. A lot of my friends really loved them. I really, really, don't.

09-16-2004 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
What kind of music do you like? what kind of music does anyone like actually? would it be actually worth starting a poll about this? :?
09-16-2004 at 07:16 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm not much of a music-lover in genral, but I do like jazz a lot, and classic rock. I strongly dislike electronic or dance music.

09-16-2004 at 07:46 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Myself, I'm huge on electronica, but I admit a lot of it just runs together and I don't end up remembering any favorite bands--especially for trance and ambient stuff. While I'm working, I'm pretty much always listening to a shoutcast station. Occasionally, I'll hear something really good and jot down the artist. In my "to check out" list, right now I've got Plaid, 4 Strings, Alpha Conspiracy, Xerxes, bunches more. I used to buy about a hundred CDs a year, but lately I am less wasteful with my money and mostly just listen to stuff online.

When I go out clubbing, I like industrial and gothic music, but I'm biased there because I like to see clubgoers dressed up and not looking like they just got out of a football game. If you go to an industrial/gothic night somewhere in Seattle, you see everybody all fetished up and halloweeny--it's nicely surreal. VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berserk, Wolfsheim, Nine Inch Nails--bands like that I like. I don't care for the cliched distorted vocals that industrial bands use to disguise their bad voices, so I like the ones that can actually sing.

Some of the old 80's synthpop that hasn't been played to death is good, i.e. Depeche Mode, New Order, Erasure. There's been a nice "new synthpop" category since the 90s with bands like Devision, And One, and more recently, Kenna, Fischerspooner, Telepopmusik.

And I like other things too, but nobody wants a complete inventory, so I think I'll stop typing now. Let it be known that my taste in music is the very best and you should all agree with me!

-Erik

09-16-2004 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
SMBU is possibly the best music I've ever heard for a fight scene. Used to great effect in Charlie's Angels.

Actually, I was young and exceedingly impressionable when that came out, and somehow managed to see the clip for "Breath", which anyone who's seen it would note it's not the sort of thing you want impressionable children seeing. Like getting Insane Clown Posse at the circus.

It took me a long while to forgive the Prodigy for that clip.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 09-18-2004 at 01:37 PM GMT]

09-18-2004 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
It was used to great effect in that scene until it came out on terrestrial channels, and I turned the subtitles on...

change my pitch up..

smack my picture...

wait a minute, smack my picture? Has this person ever heard this song? I had a right laugh at that. :lol
09-18-2004 at 02:45 PM
wackhead_uk
Sorry to bring this thread back, but has anyone heard of Goldfrapp? Because I have a very indirect link to them:

A friend's friends on the internet has a friends whose friend's aunt is the lead singer in Goldfrapp.

Just so you know.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:11-06-2004 at 12:12 AM]
11-06-2004 at 12:11 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: (The) Prodigy (+3)  
The Prodigy is one of my favorites. I've got all their CDs (including the Dirtchamber Sessions #1) and a few singles.

The first time I heard the Prodigy was back when they released Music for the Jilted Generation some time back in 1994 (that would make me 12 or 13 years old). I was on a bus at some school trip, and people was bringing CDs up to the driver to play on the speakers. Someone put on No Good (Start the Dance) (which became very popular at discos, parties and radio stations), I asked who that was, and that was it, really.

Ironically No Good is probably my least favorite on MftJG these days (Voodoo People is usually my favorite), although that's not really saying much since I really love all of them.

My favorite album, well, that depends. I really like the very first one, Experience (I've got the supposedly US-only 2-disc set with the Experience: Expanded B-sides CD that somehow made it into my hands at a local CD store here in Norway (for regular price even)), sometimes more than Music for the Jilted Generation, sometimes less. The first time I heard songs from The Fat of the Land CD, I was a bit disappointed, but it quickly grew on me and I like that one as well. If I were to pick a least favorite album, TFotL would be it, though again not by too much.

I had been waiting a long time for Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned when it finally came out. The first song I heard from it was Girls, which I accidentally heard the exclusive premiere of on radio by randomly flipping on the radio and changing to the right channel at the right time without having a clue why. Heh. Anyway, Girls was refreshingly different (which isn't such a rare thing with the Prodigy, actually, they seem to be reinventing themselves each album), and I instantly liked it. I was a bit concerned that the CD would be crippled (so called "copy protection" which I consequently boycott, as it doesn't really stop rippers, prevents legal use, and reduce player lifetime, won't get into that here though), but thankfully it wasn't (yay!), so I bought it. I usually don't buy CDs without having heard and liked at least a couple of the songs, but as you understand I've good experience (heh) with the Prodigy, and besides, I haven't been buying a lot of CDs lately...

Anyway, first time I heard the full CD I again was a bit dissatisfied, though. See, one thing I really like about the Prodigy is that they can make these long techno/electronica songs without using much standard repeating patterns (Fatboy Slim was/is also excellent at this), like for example repeating a pattern 4 times, always 4, before going on... This quickly becomes very predictable, and you end up waiting for yet another 4-pattern sequence to end. Anyway, the Prodigy's songs could unexpectedly break or expand on this pattern (2 or 3 in stead of 4, or add something new after 2, for example) or somehow make it less obvious, and by doing that get a new and refreshing feel. On the new CD, there's a lot of pattern repeating. That sort of thing leaps out at me immediately, and I didn't like it. However, again the CD has grown on me, and now I really like the entire CD, more than The Fat of the Land. My favorite song on AONO currently is a tie between Memphis Bells, Get Up Get Off, Hot Ride, Wake up Call and Shoot Down, but the others are not far behind at all.

My overall favorite Prodigy song... Again, I really like all of them. My favorite varies from day to day, it really depends on my current mood, the color of the sky, the phase of the moon, and so on. If I were to write a tied first place list like I did for AONO it would probably include most of them, heh.

This became a bit longer than I expected. Before I finish, though, I'd like to note that I really listen to all kinds of music. Depending on just about every variable you can think of, I prefer listening to, well, everything... Classical music, all kinds of folk music, jazz, blues, rock, hard rock, metal, pop, reggae, r&b, rap, hip hop, electronica, techno, trance, goa, even sea shanties... the list goes on and on. But I'll stop now :P

- Gerry
11-06-2004 at 04:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Copy protection...grrr... I just bought a CD which I can' even play on my computer because the copy protection is absoluely stupid, I can't play the music no matter what. That's going back. Why did they bring out a CD in 2004 that wont play on XP, but will play on 95?????
11-06-2004 at 12:16 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
wackhead_uk wrote:
Copy protection...grrr... I just bought a CD which I can' even play on my computer because the copy protection is absoluely stupid, I can't play the music no matter what. That's going back. Why did they bring out a CD in 2004 that wont play on XP, but will play on 95?????
Yeah, copy protection sucks. That's one reason I never buy any CDs anymore.
Besides, a talented person can still copy the music, which renders the protection useless.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
11-06-2004 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Damn, Gerry, long post there...I guess you really like the Prodigy, eh? I just wanted to comment on this...

trick wrote:
Ironically No Good is probably my least favorite on MftJG these days

I totally know where you're coming from on this. There are so many songs that I used to love, that perhaps even got me into liking a band, that I just can't stand now because they were overplayed on the radio, or even I overplayed it myself. I don't think I've ever stopped liking a band entirely because of this, but in general my favorite songs by a band are the ones that aren't played on the radio.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-06-2004 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: (The) Prodigy (+2)  
I want to create a type of copy protection that if you rip it as an mp3 it turns out gibberish, but if you rip it into ogg it turns out better than the original CD.

I just think that'd be fun.

Matt

11-07-2004 at 02:40 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Oneiromancer wrote:
Damn, Gerry, long post there...I guess you really like the Prodigy, eh?
Yeah, you could say that. I really like music, and the Prodigy makes music I like :P

I just wanted to comment on this...
trick wrote:
Ironically No Good is probably my least favorite on MftJG these days

I totally know where you're coming from on this. There are so many songs that I used to love, that perhaps even got me into liking a band, that I just can't stand now because they were overplayed on the radio, or even I overplayed it myself. I don't think I've ever stopped liking a band entirely because of this, but in general my favorite songs by a band are the ones that aren't played on the radio.

Yeah, definitely. In the case of No Good, back then that song was basically played all the time everywhere, so I got to hear it a lot and it was doomed to eventually get into that overplayed "can't stand it" cathegory like you say. That was a long time ago, though, and it's crept its way upwards so that I not only can stand the song once more, but actually rather like it. It's still my least favorite on that album, though.

If it ever goes as far as stopping liking a band, listening to wildly different kinds of music will probably help (if you're interested in getting around to liking them again, heh). Listening to different stuff keeps things interesting. (Right now I'm listening to jazz, for example :))

Mattcrampy wrote:
I want to create a type of copy protection that if you rip it as an mp3 it turns out gibberish, but if you rip it into ogg it turns out better than the original CD.
Yeah :lol. I like making oggs of my CDs, so that I can listen to them while at my PC without having to switch discs all the time.

(I didn't mean to start a copy-protection discussion here, though. It's a bit off topic since the Prodigy's CDs don't have that :))

- Gerry
11-07-2004 at 08:01 AM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Hello!:smile I haven't been around this boards for some long time...

I like Prodigy as much as Trick does. I used to have all their albums until I let a friend borrow The Fat Of The Land. _

My brother used to DJ, so the first time I heard them I was very young (can't remember)and it was the original Charly track. There are other old singles that are very good from Prodigy like Pandemonium (if you like acid dance type - check it out).

I like TFotL album (second favourite), but I think it's because I love track Narayan(sp?) from it. It's true how the tracks that don't get radio played are often your favourite tracks.

wackhead_uk wrote:
the reason I put (the) prodigy was because two of their albums said just Prodigy on but the other two said The Prodigy, for some reason. Does anyone know the real answer?

It's was a bit like how Emmerdale used to be called Emmerdale Farm :D. Or maybe because The Prodigy more referred to Liam Howlett, and didn't sound much of a band/group. A band or group is more easily recognised with fewer letters in its name, so they loped the "The" off.

Some people believe it was a typo on the second album, because the first album name was "The Prodigy Experience". That was all on it.

Slight going off topic, I want to get into more Electronica (Erik... :)) been listening to a bit of Aphex Twin, probably get the album Drukqs soon. Are there any invaluable albums I should get from Aphex as well as other artists?

Btw, Wackhead, my friend loves Goldfrapp and Scissor Sisters. :)

Click here to view the secret text

11-07-2004 at 03:05 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : (The) Prodigy (Anyone even heard of them?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com