Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Krighton's Castle : Automatic Chambers : 2 North, 1 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
marg
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Krighton's Castle : Automatic Chambers : 2 North, 1 West (0)  
I dont really understand what has to be done. I wait until the platforms form a direct path all the way round thinking that they would start to move towards their own colour but nothing happens and how do you get the citizens on the platforms to stop, also what good are the arrow changers? I have tried for hours going round and round in circles.
HELP!!!!!
04-22-2014 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Krighton's Castle : Automatic Chambers : 2 North, 1 West (0)  
The citizens will only move to their station if there's a direct path made by the platforms. They aren't smart enough to pathfind any other way.

The tokens in the middle aren't arrow rotators. They're persistence tokens, which make citizens moving to their destinations stand still if their paths get blocked (as opposed to running back to their original stations). You can't interact with them.

Because each citizen needs a direct route from the first station to the second, you'll need a line of platforms that extends that far. How might you go about making a long line of platforms?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-22-2014 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
LvanPelt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25

File: fail.jpg (8 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
License: Public Domain
12th Archivist wrote:
The citizens will only move to their station if there's a direct path made by the platforms. They aren't smart enough to pathfind any other way.

The tokens in the middle aren't arrow rotators. They're persistence tokens, which make citizens moving to their destinations stand still if their paths get blocked (as opposed to running back to their original stations). You can't interact with them.

Because each citizen needs a direct route from the first station to the second, you'll need a line of platforms that extends that far. How might you go about making a long line of platforms?

i tried to stop the characters with beethro's body, on the upper path, the citizen moves from his position , but is not able to reach the other token.

LvanPelt

[Last edited by LvanPelt at 04-28-2014 05:22 PM]
04-28-2014 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
You're on the right track, and you're most of the way there.

However,
Click here to view the secret text

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-30-2014 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
LvanPelt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
12th Archivist wrote:
You're on the right track, and you're most of the way there.

However,

Thanks, solved

LvanPelt

05-01-2014 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Sorry, I still don't understand at all despite the hints given here.

I'm mostly having a problem because Mud Coordinators keep dying.

EDIT: ok, managed it, mostly by trial and error.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 10-29-2015 08:04 PM]
10-24-2015 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
disoriented wrote:
Sorry, I still don't understand at all despite the hints given here.

I'm mostly having a problem because Mud Coordinators keep dying.

EDIT: ok, managed it, mostly by trial and error.

I'm having the same issue. I can get 5 platforms lined up easily enough but the stupid citizens keep killing each-other. I suspect I have to get their positioning and movement order just right to avoid this. But in terms of fun level, "manipulating citizens into the right position" is wedged firmly between "doing my taxes" and "sneezing while my mouth is full", so I'd rather just see a demo for this one. Anyone want to share?

04-27-2018 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
The mud coordinators are scripted characters, so you don't have to worry about citizen movement for them. And you can keep them blocked so that the actual citizens are able to reach their destination, at which point they stay there.

So the only issue is getting the line of platforms to another position, which really just requires getting out of one coordinator's way and blocking the next one. My demo, which is currently #1 and less than a thousand moves, does use move order to get two coordinators on one platform without either falling, but I don't think that should be necessary? I'd have to replay the room to say for sure.
04-27-2018 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Krighton's Castle : Automatic Chambers : 2 North, 1 West (+1)  
Okay, on starting to replay the room it becomes a bit clearer what the trick is.

Edit: played through the whole room again and improved my score a bit.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 04-27-2018 05:28 PM]
04-27-2018 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638

File: KC Automatic Chambers 2N1W Victory.demo (17.7 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
License: Public Domain
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Okay, on starting to replay the room it becomes a bit clearer what the trick is.

As I mentioned above, I'd already figured that out. The problem is that they basically want to shuffle each other off the platforms whenever more than one of them are on the same one. They certainly don't seem to want to get in the same move order for me. When I try the most obvious setup they die without fail. When I try more awkward things like getting them set up 2 to a raft they also die.

EDIT: Finally got it after a whole lot of fiddling around. Demo attached so that no one else ever has to suffer.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 04-28-2018 03:33 AM]
04-28-2018 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
I looked at your demo and I see what happened. My solution is very clean by comparison and only slightly fiddly.

04-28-2018 at 03:52 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Krighton's Castle : Automatic Chambers : 2 North, 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com