Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Progressively Larger Objects (An idea for another forum game.)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged
icon Progressively Larger Objects (+2)  
Not sure if this will work in the forum, since it is meant to be played quickly... but... we'll see. When I was in Junior High, I (briefly) joined an after school group called "Odyssey of the Mind." A somewhat intelligent/creative group that had yearly competitions and so on. Anywho, as a mental warmup on some days, we'd play this game.

One person (me) starts off by naming a small object, it could be anything, really. Then the next person has to name something larger than that object. Simple.

The fun and sometimes challenging part is trying to name objects that are funny, creative, or odd. So if one person says "a baseball," a good answer might be "Half an armadillo" and a bad answer (while correct) would be "a football."

After a while, of course, these objects are going to get pretty large, we don't want to have any answers like "Our solar system" and then "The entire known universe," so we have to set a limit. Say, no objects larger than Earth. Then someone says "reset" to go back to a small object again.

So, the plain english rules:

- Make a new post with an object larger than the object in the previous post. If the previous post says "reset," you must name a small object for everyone else to build off.
- No posting twice in a row.
- No objects larger than Earth.
- Objects must be tangible. No fair saying "Clayton's Ego is bigger than..."
- Try to keep the object close to the size of the previous object. Keep the chain going as long as possible!...
- ...but be reasonable. Plungers come in all sizes, so if someone says "a plunger," assume that its a pretty standard one, about 3 feet tall?
- If at any time you feel the object posted is too large to be useful anymore, post the word "Reset."
- To keep it fair, I think posting "reset" should also forfeit your turn. You cannot make another post until after someone else.
- Be creative! Be funny! This would be a good game to spend/earn rank points in.

Any questions? I'll start:

A thumbtack (first thing I saw :))
09-12-2004 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Progressively Larger Objects (+1)  
The M key on my keyboard.

09-12-2004 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
A brand-new eraser that's been run over by a chair with wheels on it

09-12-2004 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
A brand-new eraser that hasn't been run over by a chair with wheels on it.

09-12-2004 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Nancy Kerrigan's Kneecap (pre-Tonya Harding).... too harsh? :huh
09-12-2004 at 05:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Half a large watermelon!

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-12-2004 at 07:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: Progressively Larger Objects (+2)  
A mildly truncated picket post.

09-12-2004 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
A red chair missing its arms and feet.

[Edited by DiMono on 09-12-2004 at 01:51 PM GMT]

09-12-2004 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
A child's giant red balloon just before it is going to be popped by being sucked into a jet engine.

I thought it was good...
09-12-2004 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Pi/fourths of two quart juice cartons:)

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
09-12-2004 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: Progressively Larger Objects (0)  
A hollow armadillo shell

09-12-2004 at 05:08 PM
ClaytonW
09-12-2004 at 08:27 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
A Mechwarrior's Left Missile Pod

Basic info - A Mech' is about 13 ft. tall, so the Pod would be about 1.5 ft. tall and 1 ft. wide-ish.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 09-12-2004 at 07:46 PM GMT]

09-12-2004 at 08:45 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
A diagonal brick door with a "Welcome" sign on it

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-12-2004 at 08:55 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
A tap-dancing male lion wearing armor and with four left paws.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
09-12-2004 at 10:13 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Beethro.

09-12-2004 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
A two-square-long serpent.

09-12-2004 at 11:16 PM
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
four goblins ductaped together.
09-12-2004 at 11:40 PM
gamer_extreme_101
An old mainframe computer.

09-12-2004 at 11:46 PM
DiMono
The room said computer is stored in, the carpet all torn to shreds and stained with the coffee of programmers long since gone insane.

09-13-2004 at 01:00 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
A collapsed small log cabin.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-13-2004 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
A collapsed small log cabin with a one-inch layer of ice around it.

09-13-2004 at 03:39 AM
DiMono
Donald Trump's bedroom, filled with mice.

09-13-2004 at 04:15 AM
ClaytonW
ENIAC

Would anybody object to a new rule requiring pictures of the objects? Exactly how big is Donald Trump's Bedroom, anyhow?
09-13-2004 at 04:31 AM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Level 3, 1S1E.

Here is a picture.

[Edited by wackhead_uk on 09-13-2004 at 10:21 AM GMT]
09-13-2004 at 11:20 AM
Nillo
ClaytonW wrote:
Would anybody object to a new rule requiring pictures of the objects?
Yes, because that takes away all the creativity and imagination from the game. If you have to find pictures of the objects, you can't use "four goblins ducttaped together" etc.

But it's your game, and that's just my opinion. Choose yourself.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-13-2004 at 11:52 AM
ClaytonW
Well I don't know, it just seems that some answers are difficult to tell what size they are, especially when preceded by "A large..." or "A small..." A user could always make their own image, or tweak an existing one. You could easily MSPaint some goblins together.

Hmm... For now, forget I said anything about the rule.

[Edited by ClaytonW on 09-13-2004 at 01:29 PM GMT]
09-13-2004 at 02:24 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
the 2 tar mama rooms on level 24

09-13-2004 at 02:48 PM
Nillo
Squeenton Swicks

09-13-2004 at 03:06 PM
gamer_extreme_101
A full-size soccer pitch(field) with a confused player standing in the middle of the field wondering why no one is there when in reality his game is tomorrow.

09-13-2004 at 03:33 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Progressively Larger Objects (An idea for another forum game.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com