Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Any more Architect Toolkits out there
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Any more Architect Toolkits out there (0)  
It's been several months since any Toolkits went up, are you sitting on any that you could toss up there for an update? Is there still interest in writing them?

09-11-2004 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Any more Architect Toolkits out there (+1)  
I've partially started one on graphical mods, but I'm not sure if you'd want it in there as it isn't *really* about hold making. If I get an A-OK for it, I may finish it.

09-11-2004 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
icon Re: Any more Architect Toolkits out there (0)  
Hows about one describing exactly how to make one of those arrangements of certain squares that look like eys or summatt on the minimap? And I just realised that purple tar on map, purple tar on DRODIS! looks good! *is happy*
09-12-2004 at 12:29 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I have one. Funnily enough, it's from DiMono. I'd rather there be a bit more of an even mix between DiMono and everyone else.

I'm always looking for Architect's Toolkits. If you want to send me one on making mods, that's fine. Or indeed any topic. Even if it isn't really about architecture, I'll find a home for it.

Matt

09-12-2004 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Could I make one about pie?....

or not. Seriously, could someone do one about smilies? there is a whole thread about it and it would be cool if we could have some more DROD-related smilies on the forum!

:pokey

Heehee! This one's funny!
09-12-2004 at 01:17 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Hey Matt, would you mind if I sent you my A.T. as a HTML file? I need to have pictures in mine to help illustrate it.

09-12-2004 at 10:20 PM
DiMono
For an A.T. about graphics? Please, I'm sure you can get by with descriptions.

09-13-2004 at 12:59 AM
wackhead_uk
it shouldn't be that hard to do one for that..
09-13-2004 at 11:26 AM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Any more Architect Toolkits out there (+1)  
First of all, I HOPE you were joking DiMono... ;)

Secondly, would you mind if I have the GeneralTiles.bmp file that I used in the Toolbox downloadable in the file? Just a small request. And BTW, I should have the toolbox finished soon.

09-14-2004 at 12:31 AM
DiMono
I would assume that any original content you make can be used in any way you see fit. You're not signing over copyright to drod.net, after all.

09-14-2004 at 12:49 AM
Mattcrampy
HTML files and pictures are okay. You can also send it as just text and put a note in saying "picture1 goes here". If they're too big, I'll get to work on reducing their size. (I've got a few neat utils to compress pngs, although I never seem to get quite the same results as most of the pngs on the site.)

Matt

09-14-2004 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
I just wanted to say that new (well, "new" to me because I am slow getting round to these things) A.T. article by Patrick was really quite good. I was expecting the tone to be extreme, but in fact, it wasn't. Nice job, buddy!

(Sorry, I find the word "extreme" very funny for some reason.)

-Erik

09-18-2004 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
extremely funny?

I found it very strange that he decided to turn roaches into mice...wouldn't it have been better to show something off of DRODIS?
09-18-2004 at 09:22 PM
gamer_extreme_101
wackhead_uk wrote:
...wouldn't it have been better to show something off of DRODIS?
I wanted to start off with a new idea rather than going with a idea that has already been used.

Thanks for the compliment, Erik. I had tried to go for simple, but had worried about whether or not people would understand it or not, but I guess it was all good. Even with a picture missing in it!

09-18-2004 at 09:31 PM
wackhead_uk
Would I be considered to be leeching off of someone else's ideas if I suggested that someone do a small architect's toolkit about modding levels rather than the generaltiles.bmp file? It could say about the statues and the pit falling animations, amongst other things.
09-19-2004 at 03:47 PM
DiMono
No more than I'd be leeching if I did a different "how to design a specific room" article than the one that's up there. At least, that's what I think.

09-19-2004 at 04:25 PM
wackhead_uk
I don;t understand what you're trying to say, but I assume it's...bad?
09-19-2004 at 10:03 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think what he's trying to say is that it's not leeching if you use someone else's topic, as long as you write something different about it than they do.

09-19-2004 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Assuminbg that is true...could I write one about modding levels ??
09-19-2004 at 10:27 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Well, I've got another one, but it's not finished yet. Matt, is there a particular place to send it to? I sent a message to the address I used for the previous one, but there was no response.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
09-20-2004 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
webmaster@caravelgames.net was where I sent mine...

09-20-2004 at 12:16 AM
DiMono
Indeed, what I'm saying is that there are only so many topics, so there's no point calling foul if the same one gets covered twice. As long as the content is original, it's okay to re-use topics.

09-20-2004 at 04:01 AM
Mattcrampy
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Well, I've got another one, but it's not finished yet. Matt, is there a particular place to send it to? I sent a message to the address I used for the previous one, but there was no response.

Yeah, don't send things to the Yahoo address any more. I got really, really sick of all the dodgy spam I was getting.

webmaster at caravelgames.net and mattc at caravelgames.net will find me.

Matt

09-20-2004 at 12:31 PM
wackhead_uk
Well, I dont think that copying that toolkit is really a poblem because there are a lot of toolits about making levels but they are all about different things, so that is OK. I suppose that I am asking if I can write one about modding levels? Can I?

09-20-2004 at 04:24 PM
DiMono
Well, the easy way to find out is to write the article, submit it, and see what response you get from Matt. If he doesn't feel it's right, he'll very politely tell you, and the article will not appear. If he's okay with it, then he'll put it up for all to see.

09-20-2004 at 11:32 PM
Mattcrampy
Upon reflection:

I'd rather not people write anything just yet about editing level graphics. It seems like an awful waste of time and effort when these details will change for JtRH.

Click here to view the secret text

The current AT on graphical mods is okay, but I may 'revision' it with gamer's help so that come JtRH the details are still accurate. Either that or make editor notes saying what's changed, but that's a copout.

Another 'how to build a room' AT will be welcomed with open arms. The way I demonstrated is certainly not the only way to build a room, and I for one would like to see what more ubiquitous hold designers do different. The idea is to promote discussion, not stifle it.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 09-21-2004 at 10:10 AM GMT: Can't spell, clown'll eat me]

09-21-2004 at 11:09 AM
wackhead_uk

BooHoo! no DROD mods for JtRH! Ahwell, I guess I could do one on how to relieve stress if you are stuck on level 8 septence south thrice east...
09-21-2004 at 01:33 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
wackhead_uk wrote:

BooHoo! no DROD mods for JtRH! Ahwell, I guess I could do one on how to relieve stress if you are stuck on level 8 septence south thrice east...

Now now... he didn't say that. You're making assumptions.
09-21-2004 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Mattcrampy wrote:
Well...that's true...but they never entirely relied on those graphics anyway...

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:09-21-2004 at 09:21 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-21-2004 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
s'pose....

Well when are you going to bring out the JtRH beta so we can start making toolits for them then?

please?

please?

anyway, I was thinking that someone(not me) did a toolkit for making a room with the new dungeon elements so that people knew how they were supposed to be implemented into a room.
09-21-2004 at 10:39 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Any more Architect Toolkits out there
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com