Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 'Students of the Slayerly Arts' (Why do they exist?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon 'Students of the Slayerly Arts' (0)  
It occurred to me, poking through JTRH quickly: Why are there students of the Slayerly Arts when slayers are vatborn with all of their knowledge intact?
04-12-2014 at 04:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: 'Students of the Slayerly Arts' (0)  
Do they have innate knowledge? I forget if this was confirmed.

04-12-2014 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
We saw a bunch of trainee slayers in TCB too, so there seems to be a pretty rigorous training and selection process.
04-12-2014 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, according to that 'Things We Knew' song Erik had us all singing way back when, yes, they have all their necessary information at birth.
04-12-2014 at 05:40 AM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
icon Re: 'Students of the Slayerly Arts' (+1)  
Given the amount of, er, 'unique' individuals found in the Empire, it could simply be that vatborn, while more homogeneous than surfacers, still have variations. And it could be possible for a badly managed vat to create really dumb people. This means that after you get your perfect killing machines, you still need to find the most perfect. Can't have a Slayer that freezes for two turns when it hears a Tuenan accent, can we?

04-12-2014 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
I think I haven't got far enough in TCB to really know what you're talking about, so it might be impossible somehow... But perhaps the "true" slayers are the professionals, and these students are only learning in an amateur capacity?
04-12-2014 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
39th Slayer loves to show off and he fancies everyone would want to be like him. He amassed a fan club.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-12-2014 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Sure they have the knowledge, but it's not like they have the practical. I mean, look at 39th Slayer, you needed to work to slay him. You never saw the 39th trying to turn on hot tiles or standing on platforms where he could be easily dumped in JtRH. That's the sort of thing that today's upstart Slayers just don't get. I mean, there was even that 1st Slayer that didn't even use a hook!

Plus, they're not all exactly the same out of the vat... you need to weed out the inferior specimens from the production run.
04-12-2014 at 04:01 PM
mattw0520
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
Not all slayers are vat-born. The students of the 39th Slayer in JTRH were citizens of the empire employed as slayers.

[Last edited by mattw0520 at 04-13-2014 12:48 AM]
04-12-2014 at 07:07 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 'Students of the Slayerly Arts' (Why do they exist?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com