Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mobile DROD (Big news announcement)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged

File: jjhaidef.png (47.8 KB)
Downloaded 1882 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Mobile DROD (+8)  
Mobile users, rejoice! DROD is moving into the app space.

Last year, I had "Candy Crush" recommended to me (by Pearls, iirc). I tried it out, and from that moment I saw a huge potential for getting DROD to the masses. As a team, we brainstormed what we could accomplish here, and now we're forging bravely into this hot market space. We are spinning up a team that is working on a mobile DROD offering that will provide a seamlessly extensible set of features and puzzle sets. We're working on a reinvented interface for tablets and mobile devices and a properly shiny presentation. The below image represents new room token art. We'll make sure to provide a silky smooth difficulty curve. In the basic offering, we'll feature a carefully selected set of puzzle elements and tutorial levels highlighting each element. These design considerations are being made especially with the mobile user in mind. Rooms will be a lot smaller, with tiles a lot larger, pixel-wise.

We'll have supplemental level packs available for $2.99 each, and we've already started on holiday- and special-themed game, player and monster skins.

In addition, we'll be providing users with bonuses for regular logins, such as supplemental power modes and per-use abilities that you can acquire over time or buy in-game. To make continued play easy, you can purchase passes that let you skip troublesome rooms. Also, you can acquire special detonators that let you blow up monsters or knock down single wall tiles with a finger tap. Additional move undos can be purchased in packs of 100 for $0.99, with special discounts for bulk purchases.

We're tuning the play experience to match many of the most popular mobile apps. One consideration revolves around analysis of time spent in a single play setting and the number of rooms the typical DROD player solves in a sitting. Here, Beethro will carry a wineskin filled with leaf juice. Beethro takes a swig each time you take on a new puzzle room. When the skin is empty, you'll have to stop for a time while Beethro stops and gathers more leaf juice. Your leaf juice supply automatically refills while you're offline, and premium players can purchase larger wineskins and refills.

We expect these design changes will help us share DROD with the world in a big way, gaining it added exposure and helping it to reach its true potential. We care about our fans, and the Caravel Forum is the first place we're choosing to reveal our tightly-guarded news. We'd really like to hear your feedback.

Thanks for being a faithful fan, and here's to a bright mobile future for DROD!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-02-2014 07:19 AM]
04-02-2014 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
icon Re: Mobile DROD (+2)  
Thank you for sharing! I'm excited for this bold and innovative new direction for the DROD brand. :)

Speaking personally as a dedicated mobile gamer who has robbed several banks to fund his addiction to match-3 puzzlers, one trope of mobile gaming I like is rating systems for performing well in each level. Have you considered implementing a similar system for the DROD app? For example, gold medals for solving a room in under 30 seconds, silver for 60 seconds, and bronze for slower times. Gold medals could be exchanged for shorter leaf juice refill times, extra undos, etc.
04-02-2014 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Mobile DROD (0)  
Will there be an Android version, or are you focusing exclusively on iOS for the time being?

04-02-2014 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Mobile DROD (+1)  
I'm stoked about the purchasable packs of undo moves! Sweet!

04-02-2014 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
the only thing that gets to me is this: is the game going to be falling into a pay-to-win game? Because when I see these games on the internet, I always see that the people who pay only have 1/8 of the time invested to receive the same progress as someone who doesn't. I wouldn't like to see that happen to DROD too.

I wish that man would stay away
04-02-2014 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Yes, we're definitely thinking about providing a score out of three stars for each room.
Will there be an Android version, or are you focusing exclusively on iOS for the time being?
Both Android and iOS.
the only thing that gets to me is this: is the game going to be falling into a pay-to-win game? Because when I see these games on the internet, I always see that the people who pay only have 1/8 of the time invested to receive the same progress as someone who doesn't. I wouldn't like to see that happen to DROD too.
I see what you're describing here as two distinct categories. In one case, only people who throw lots of money at an app have an opportunity to perform competitively. I see that as the first case you describe. In the second case you describe, anyone can win without purchasing anything, but it takes longer. Our plan is largely to follow the second model. That's described in the "energy refill" system I described above. You will definitely be able to get through all of the game content and earn all achievements without paying for anything.

One potential departure, however, is in the level editor. We plan to make a level editor available, where you have a group of builders available that you can deploy to build up parts of your hold incrementally. As you login regularly and earn achievements, you will earn greckles that you can spend on hiring more builders. As part of level design, you need to have rooms that you yourself demonstrate can be conquered. Then, you can periodically delve into other players levels. The higher ratings you receive in conquering other players' levels, the higher your smiter rank becomes. Conversely, the more players your rooms defeat, the higher your "architect ranking" grows. Of course, a player can opt to purchase more greckles in order to build out their rooms more quickly and potentially achieve higher rankings, but it's by no means necessary and ultimately your skill is the prime factor.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-02-2014 05:07 AM]
04-02-2014 at 05:03 AM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
Have your preliminary testers voiced any concerns about restart being so close to the rest of the buttons? On a smaller screen I can only assume it would be a major issue.

Also, are you increasing c-net fees if a person has browser chat and game chat open? It seems only logical and with the move that drod will be making, it seems like this would be a good time to implement that.

04-02-2014 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
We'll make CNet chat a free feature of the mobile version.

04-02-2014 at 05:19 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Very cool. If Dungeon Keeper can be redesigned as a mobile game, why not DROD?

04-02-2014 at 05:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
So yeah - can I play this on my ipod nano too?

That's a must for my current "on the move professional" demographic

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-02-2014 05:54 AM]
04-02-2014 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Man, for a moment here I thought it was a joke! Awesome!

04-02-2014 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Me too til I remembered I'm one of the inspirations behind this move, what with owning a mobile phone and stuff.

Nokia 6210 is the best device for it until the maze level when you need several batteries to scroll the 8x8 ascii screen to the end
04-02-2014 at 12:28 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
That sounds fun!
04-02-2014 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
While the core idea of a mobile DROD game is solid, I'm assuming some of the details (specifically the "let's do everything that mobile games do wrong" parts) are a joke.

As for the architect/smiter rank thing, while it's an interesting idea on the surface, there are some major issues with this, primarily that it completely disincentivizes good level design in favor of "defeating" players that try to complete rooms. For example, placing a checkpoint for any reason (unless it's just meant as a trap) is suboptimal. Designing a room in a way that the player can understand it, one of the most difficult/important skills in architecture, is suboptimal. A room under this system should include as much visual clutter as possible. And of course, elegant solutions are something to be avoided, instead replaced by orb/pressure plate puzzles, trapdoors under tar (with no vision token, including one makes the player more likely to clear the room, after all), guess-the-script rooms, convoluted movement order "puzzles", and just intentional tedium. These things are openly rewarded by a system like this rather than frowned upon. Remember the Cheap Trick contest? That will be every room.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 04-02-2014 01:36 PM]
04-02-2014 at 01:34 PM
Penumbra
Rank Points: 358
Pinnacle wrote:
For example, placing a checkpoint for any reason (unless it's just meant as a trap) is suboptimal.

no vision token,

I would imagine both checkpoints and vision tokens would be purchasable by the delvers to drop where they see fit.

[Last edited by Penumbra at 04-02-2014 03:54 PM]
04-02-2014 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Got to say that it does seem like there will be way too many in-app purchases, and that can get expensive. I'd be more than willing to put up with occasional in-game ads in exchange for more free content. Just a suggestion.

tl;dr IGA > IAP
04-02-2014 at 03:34 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Pinnacle wrote:
Remember the Cheap Trick contest? That will be every room.

It probably won't be that bad. You need people to play your rooms to get architect points. Design rooms that are too obnoxious and no one will play them.

I'd be more worried about collusion. Player A beats Player B's dungeon but loses to Player C's. Player B beats C and loses to A. C beats A and loses to B. All three rack up the points.

Definitely a lot of fine tuning to be done on this idea. But, I have faith that the game won't be released with these kinds of issues left unsettled.
04-02-2014 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Vike91
Rank Points: 230
Is there coming a version for Windows Phone?

04-02-2014 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
What I'm most worried about is that I don't have a phone that can handle this. Does anyone know of an emulator that I can use to play Mobile DROD on my computer?

Is RPG going to be released for mobile at some point?
04-02-2014 at 05:45 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
So you guys really liked the whole leafjuice thing, right?

There is a moral in this...

04-02-2014 at 10:25 PM
Pinnacle
Lamkin wrote:
Got to say that it does seem like there will be way too many in-app purchases, and that can get expensive. I'd be more than willing to put up with occasional in-game ads in exchange for more free content. Just a suggestion.

tl;dr IGA > IAP

Judging from the fact that the announcement is basically listing every imaginable thing wrong with mobile games, the comparisons to Candy Crush, and the generally vaguely-snarky tone of the post, I think it's safe to assume that it's a joke (though as a fan of Dungeon Keeper and Roller Coaster Tycoon, it hits a bit too close to home.) Caravel is (I should hope) above that sort of thing. If there is a mobile version of DROD in the future, I would expect something more faithful to the core aspects of the series. Maybe a KDDL-style remix of JtRH, with a straightforward "the first few levels are free, then you buy the remaining episodes in packs of 4" model.

04-03-2014 at 01:43 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Pinnacle wrote:
Judging from the fact that the announcement is basically listing every imaginable thing wrong with mobile games, the comparisons to Candy Crush, and the generally vaguely-snarky tone of the post, I think it's safe to assume that it's a joke (though as a fan of Dungeon Keeper and Roller Coaster Tycoon, it hits a bit too close to home.) Caravel is (I should hope) above that sort of thing. If there is a mobile version of DROD in the future, I would expect something more faithful to the core aspects of the series. Maybe a KDDL-style remix of JtRH, with a straightforward "the first few levels are free, then you buy the remaining episodes in packs of 4" model.

I'm sad you feel this way. You've been around long enough to know that Caravel is above nothing that will improve their flawless consistency.

[Last edited by coppro at 04-03-2014 02:29 AM]
04-03-2014 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Pinnacle wrote:
Lamkin wrote:

tl;dr IGA > IAP

Judging from the fact that the announcement is basically listing every imaginable thing wrong with mobile games, the comparisons to Candy Crush, and the generally vaguely-snarky tone of the post, I think it's safe to assume that it's a joke...

Yes, I had already assumed that...and my response was my attempt to play along with the joke. :)
04-03-2014 at 02:40 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Lamkin wrote:
Yes, I had already assumed that...and my response was my attempt to play along with the joke. :)
Heh heh. It's hard to do that with any subtlety. People just assume you got fooled.

04-03-2014 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
ErikH2000 wrote:
Lamkin wrote:
Heh heh. It's hard to do that with any subtlety. People just assume you got fooled.

Yep. :paperbag :)
04-03-2014 at 03:10 AM
Pinnacle
Eh, that's mostly my fault, my sarcasm detector must be broken.

04-03-2014 at 03:30 AM
Panther
Rank Points: 402
icon Re: Mobile DROD (+2)  
Pinnacle wrote:
Eh, that's mostly my fault, my sarcasm detector must be broken.
This same difficulty was encountered in chat the other day, and it was determined to be due to oremites. Get yourself a replacement made of plastic and glass and you should be fine.
04-03-2014 at 04:53 AM
Syntax
icon Re: Mobile DROD (+5)  
Where do I download it? Been refreshing the internet for 16 hours
04-03-2014 at 06:40 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mobile DROD (Big news announcement)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com