Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Mini Metro. (Really simple strategy puzzler.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Mini Metro. (+5)  
http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/ (web-based game)

This is in alpha now, but it plays well and takes about 30 seconds to learn. You connect up subway lines to get people efficiently to destinations. It's abstract, only a tiny amount of resource management, and not in the Sim genre at all.

For people like me that don't like reflexes mixed in with puzzles, learn how to use the PAUSE button (clock in topright corner). It changes the game to happy reflective time and keeps the fiddly quirks of the UI from becoming a crisis.

-Erik

03-11-2014 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penumbra
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 358
icon Re: Mini Metro. (0)  
This game is really fun, and I haven't been able to get very far yet. I came into this thread to talk about just how hard it gets, and then I read this:
ErikH2000 wrote: use the PAUSE button
:selftwak
03-11-2014 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1304
Heh, the pause button isn't my problem. Record so far: 455 471 633. This is awesome!

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-11-2014 05:20 PM]
03-11-2014 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Mini Metro. (+1)  
Darn it, Erik, I didn't need another addiction right now.

I can get to the 500s pretty regularly, but the difficulty curve is too steep at that point for me. I haven't tried re-directing trains as they are needed to try to address temporary urgencies in a more dynamic manner. I'm not sure that I'm willing to do that (too much pausing/breaks what I find fun about the game).

I wish there was a bit less pressure... maybe a mode that is designed to play out over 20+ minutes instead of just ~5.

Or one that is completely open-ended. I've spent some time in the last year or so thinking about sub-way and elevator simulations as entertainment, but have yet to put my ideas into code.

03-11-2014 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Record here is 680!

I wish that man would stay away
03-12-2014 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Penumbra wrote:
This game is really fun, and I haven't been able to get very far yet. I came into this thread to talk about just how hard it gets, and then I read this:
ErikH2000 wrote: use the PAUSE button
:selftwak
Yeah, I was going to abandon the game until I found the pause button. Phew!

I can get to the 500s pretty regularly, but the difficulty curve is too steep at that point for me. I haven't tried re-directing trains as they are needed to try to address temporary urgencies in a more dynamic manner. I'm not sure that I'm willing to do that (too much pausing/breaks what I find fun about the game).

My take is the same.

Also, I don't WANT to be more successful at the game with "quick fix" solutions. What I am hoping is that the game will be balanced to reward good early choices or deeper design choices.

Hmm. I don't know if they can pull that off though. Maybe, like you, I'd just be happy if they simply smoothed the difficulty so I could enjoy a longer game.

03-13-2014 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I think to get a truly high score you need to have more permanent routes. I got to 680 without pausing.

This new build is harder than before. You used to be limited by tunnels.

I wish that man would stay away
03-13-2014 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Also, I don't WANT to be more successful at the game with "quick fix" solutions.
Me either, but I went ahead and played with some ideas in those directions and was largely unsuccessful (compared to more permanent route strategies). I don't know if that's because it's not possible or because I'm not skilled enough to pull it off. There are some built-in mechanisms that make this approach difficult - the trains continue on existing routes for some time even after you change the route, so you can't just make them teleport instantly to where they're needed by removing their track and placing it somewhere else.

EDIT:
672 using this technique: Yellow Line goes through every stop. All train upgrades go to yellow. I didn't use any station upgrades. The other four lines are used as needed to reduce congestion at stations that are behind wherever the yellow train is. Create a 3-4 stop track that hits all the shapes that you need, and remove it as soon as the train is on the last leg of it. Repeat. I think with practice I could top 800 or so. I think maybe I'm done with this game. It was very fun, but I think this technique breaks it, and I think I've reached my limit on the long-term techniques.

This new build is harder than before. You used to be limited by tunnels.
That's interesting... I found it easier without the tunnel restriction though the slow down over water is a nice way to maintain the difficulty without restricting the number of tunnels. I like the added dimension of needing to reduce the length of tunnels.

[Last edited by stigant at 03-13-2014 05:27 PM]
03-13-2014 at 12:48 PM
ErikH2000
stigant wrote:
EDIT:
672 using this technique:
Very nice.

I tried it out. It works well if you plan far ahead. I think I'm reaching the end of this game for me too, nice though it was.

-Erik

03-18-2014 at 01:10 AM
stigant
FYI, I went back to check in on this game again since it's in alpha, and there have been significant changes:

1. Upgrades are handed out after a certain number of customers have been served rather than once a week. There is no longer a week timer. The first few upgrades are available after 25, 70, 130, 200... customers. (tentative yay)

2. Tunnel quotas are back (ugh)

3. Up to 7 lines are available (yay)

4. The cars only hold 4 people at a time now instead of 8 (eh)

5. The extra line and extra car upgrades are now the same - ie either add an extra car to a an existing line, or add a new line
(yay... more flexibility)

6. Adding a car to a line now adds a separate car in a different place on that line rather than appending a car to the existing car. (I think that's an improvement)

03-28-2014 at 04:26 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Mini Metro. (Really simple strategy puzzler.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com