Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Things you didn't realize until recently [SPOILERS]
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zachski
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Things you didn't realize until recently [SPOILERS] (0)  
"Recently" can be defined as any time the poster so desires.

---

Sorceress's "Flame Aura" spell in combat functions nearly identically to the Parry skill for Warriors. You press and hold the button down, and after the initial mana cost, the only cost for maintaining it is stamina. Flame Aura will block attacks that can normally be parried, and it responds with damage immediately.

Unlike the Parry-Riposte strategy, however, Flame Aura cannot kill enemies.

The Rogue (and I presume a Warrior with acrobatics and the twin daggers?) can learn Acrobatic Strike by giving Moon Tzu's book to Heime.
01-22-2014 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Things you didn't realize until recently [SPOILERS] (0)  
Not quite the intention of this thread, but I'll say it anyway - this is rather embarrassing, but I got a long way through the game without realising that you could hold the dodge buttons while fighting.

Really.

Everything else was done by pressing a key or clicking only; I recalled from a cursory glance through the manual that it said when walking you should click, not click and hold; and it never registered to me. No wonder I was having trouble fighting enemies.
01-22-2014 at 05:00 AM
In Volund's workshop, you can actually his Eye of Thriassi on a shelf at the top-right of the screen, way before you hear about it for the first time.
01-22-2014 at 05:06 AM
Zachski
TripleM wrote:
Not quite the intention of this thread, but I'll say it anyway - this is rather embarrassing, but I got a long way through the game without realising that you could hold the dodge buttons while fighting.

Really.

Everything else was done by pressing a key or clicking only; I recalled from a cursory glance through the manual that it said when walking you should click, not click and hold; and it never registered to me. No wonder I was having trouble fighting enemies.

To ease your embarrassment, it was about halfway through my sorceress playthrough when I started a Rogue playthrough and I accidentally realized I could hold down the dodge button.
01-22-2014 at 05:20 AM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Heh. The original combat system was click only, but the way it worked was incredibly frustrating - it was written such that if you had higher agility, your chance to successfully dodge increased, but that meant you would never know if you were going to dodge properly or not, so the heroine would end up flinching on a failed dodge (so you would effectively be discouraged from using it when your agility is low and your dodging keeps failing).

So we made it so that players have better control over dodging, to encourage its use :) Meant some other changes, such as the way agility benefits the character, but all in all I think the combat system plays a lot more smoothly so long as you know what to do with the controls.
01-22-2014 at 08:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mentao
Heh, it is odd, if I hadn't read this topic, I wouldn't have realized about flame aura. Strangely enough, I did realize you could hold the shield button to block spells, I don't know why I never tried with flame aura (playing as sorceress, of course).
01-23-2014 at 01:26 PM
Spiffo
I beat the game as a sorceress and STILL had no idea how to use the the flame aura in combat. Fortunately you can dodge/duck out of the way of every spell except one AFAIK.
Click here to view the secret text

01-23-2014 at 03:44 PM
yariel
to be able to use certain ingredient for alchemy multiple times ...
usually in most games it will be consumed ...
but it seems in Heroine Quest, some if not, most won't get consumed ...
01-23-2014 at 05:37 PM
Zachski
Spiffo wrote:
I beat the game as a sorceress and STILL had no idea how to use the the flame aura in combat. Fortunately you can dodge/duck out of the way of every spell except one AFAIK.
Click here to view the secret text

As a tip, you can duck to avoid the dagger spell.

Took me awhile to figure that one out, too.
01-23-2014 at 07:09 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Things you didn't realize until recently [SPOILERS]
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com