Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Quests that can be failed permanently (Potential for dead end with the two Eyes?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Merudo
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Quests that can be failed permanently (0)  
The game has a few quests, most of them being optional. Here is a list of them, with an indication if they can be failed permanently.

Fornsigtuna
Quests that cannot be failed:
- The Spectral Hangbui
- Snorri's challenge
- Jarl Ylfing's rescue

Quests that can be failed:
- Liff and Lithrasir: by telling one of them the other is not interested, or by failing to save Alviss and thus not obtaining the flowers (non-rogue only).
- Arngrim: getting kicked out of his tower, or consuming the apple yourself

Munarvagir
- The Librarian's Cat
- Sigrun's husband
- Rescuing Kraka

- Liff and Lithrasir (see above)
- Sigurd's memories: Consume the mead of poetry
- Regin's treasure: Open the chest yourself, give it back (non-rogue only), or steal the figurine from Regin

Nidavellir
- Skrymir's challenge

- Alviss's life: Use the eitur during daytime
- Andvar's armor: Insult him

My understanding is that the Left Eye in Fornsigtuna can only be obtained by successfully completing 3 Fornsigtuna quests (Volund always supports you), or by stealing the eye from the chest Wizard's Tower by first hearing the code in the bar (requires lock-picking and potentially acrobatics), or by defeating the Wizard's puzzle as a Sorceress.

Similarly, to get the Right Eye in Munarvagir you either have to complete 4 Munarvagir quests, or steal the Eye (Rogue only), or fight Sigurd (Warrior only).

Can a Sorceress still get the Eye if she fails all quests?

[Last edited by Merudo at 01-17-2014 04:15 AM]
01-17-2014 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Quests that can be failed permanently (0)  
Currently there is one walking dead which will be fixed in v1.1 which happens as described below:

It occurs IF you haven't retrieved your stuff from the Thieves' Guild and failed the Lithrasir and Liff quest. Which means you can only get vouched for by Volund/Snorri/Aurvandel. This applies to warriors and sorceresses, but not rogues (so it will be fixed).

It is also possible for a rogue to fail Regin's quest at the moment because of a bug, but a rogue can always steal the eyes, so they never run into dead ends with respect to failing this quest. For other classes, it shouldn't be possible to fail all Munarvagir quests, so there should always be four people who will vouch for you.

So no, the game is not intended to have walking dead ends.
01-17-2014 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Merudo
Fizzii wrote:
Currently there is one walking dead which will be fixed in v1.1 which happens as described below:

It occurs IF you haven't retrieved your stuff from the Thieves' Guild and failed the Lithrasir and Liff quest. Which means you can only get vouched for by Volund/Snorri/Aurvandel. This applies to warriors and sorceresses, but not rogues (so it will be fixed).
I forgot that Volund always vouch for you! I guess the Jarl Ylfing quest can be failed for a Warrior if you get your mirror stolen and don't get it back from the lodge. The Sorceress can throw a magic missile at Jarl but I heard this is bugged.
Fizzii wrote:
It is also possible for a rogue to fail Regin's quest at the moment because of a bug, but a rogue can always steal the eyes, so they never run into dead ends with respect to failing this quest. For other classes, it shouldn't be possible to fail all Munarvagir quests, so there should always be four people who will vouch for you.
Who are the four people? Because I can only think of the Librarian, Sigrun and Kraka.

Regin quest can be failed in many ways - by either giving the chest back to Fafnir, or opening it yourself.

[Last edited by Merudo at 01-17-2014 04:21 AM]
01-17-2014 at 04:05 AM
Fizzii
Sigurd. As I understand it, you should only be able to drink half of the mead, but if you CAN drink all of it, let me know.

Note that warriors can challenge Sigurd for the Eye, so it'd only be the sorceress who runs into trouble if for some reason the above doesn't happen.
01-17-2014 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Merudo
Fizzii wrote:
Sigurd. As I understand it, you should only be able to drink half of the mead, but if you CAN drink all of it, let me know.

You can drink all of it. If you try to drink it a second time it gives the message "However, as your head clears, you are dismayed to see that the bottle is now empty" and you lose the mead for good.

[Last edited by Merudo at 01-17-2014 04:53 AM]
01-17-2014 at 04:43 AM
Fizzii
Ok thanks. I'll make a note of that for Radiant. I think we were probably working off the fact that people are unlikely to fail so many quests, but I guess there could be someone out there who would want to try to do that :P
01-17-2014 at 04:54 AM
Merudo
Fizzii wrote:
Ok thanks. I'll make a note of that for Radiant. I think we were probably working off the fact that people are unlikely to fail so many quests, but I guess there could be someone out there who would want to try to do that :P

I got scared three weeks ago because I failed the quests of Sigurd and Regin, and no one knew how to get the Runic Stick at the time :).

Thankfully, I was able to find a past save game that didn't waste the mead.

[Last edited by Merudo at 01-17-2014 05:04 AM]
01-17-2014 at 05:03 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
It is not actually the case that failing to save Alviss locks you out of the Liff/Lithra quest, nor that insulting Andvari locks you out of his armor. You'll also have a hard time opening Regin's chest if you don't have the lockpicks.

[Last edited by Radiant at 01-17-2014 10:39 AM]
01-17-2014 at 10:35 AM
yariel
maybe it's just my guessing, but ...
higher and lower skill can make difference in success or fail at executing it ... yeah, nice design ... seriously ...
(at QFG1, few spell also can make fail attempt to do certain act because the skill or spell is too low)
certain tools and item also can support the skill or spell too (naturally) ...

Merudo wrote:
Fizzii wrote:

I got scared three weeks ago because I failed the quests of Sigurd and Regin, and no one knew how to get the Runic Stick at the time :).

Thankfully, I was able to find a past save game that didn't waste the mead.
the fail for SubQuest probably on purpose ?
(still better compared QFG 1,2 which might fail Main Quest ...
thus the gameplay get broken and can't be finished *x*)
01-19-2014 at 09:01 AM
Radiant
Yes, it is intentional that you can fail (or refuse) certain subquests. It should not be possible to fail the main quest, though, and v1.1 will include fixes for the few corner cases we found where this happens.

01-19-2014 at 09:27 PM
yariel
just as I guess ...
in spirit of QFG, and Adv /RPG, failing in SubQuest is quite normal ... (even for most any other elaborate RPG, failing SubQuest is normal)
Tough ..
multiple Ending probably better than being failed completely like QFG ...
Good End, Normal End, Bad End ... something like that ?
01-20-2014 at 04:00 PM
Aquillion
Radiant wrote: You'll also have a hard time opening Regin's chest if you don't have the lockpicks.
You can get lockpicks as a Sorceress with Thievery, can't you? Or with Thievery + Stealth, at least (I did it in my game.) That's not enough to steal Sigurd's eye, I think...? So you can fail Regin's quest as a cross-class sorceress, and have no backup plan.

Just try to pick the lock on the chest, tell Liff his girlfriend isn't interested, drink the mead yourself, and bam, the game is unwinnable.

Granted, I think the player has to be a bit of an idiot to put the Liff quest in an unwinnable state, but the other two actions aren't implausible (it's entirely possible for a sorceress to find the chest without talking to Regin about it, since they can use Sixth Sense to locate it. They'll have had to have seen him when they joined the guild to get the lockpicks, but it's plausible that they might have put off exploring his dialog and therefore never learned that the chest has anything to do with him before they pick its lock. Likewise, the use for the mead beyond drinking it yourself is not necessarily obvious, and I'm fairly sure you can get it before learning anything about Sigurd's backstory.)

But at that point it's unwinnable. You can't challenge Sigurd because you're not a warrior, and as far as I know, just thievery isn't enough to let you steal the eye in Munarvagir -- IIRC you need the harp, which is simply not available to a non-rogue.

[Last edited by Aquillion at 01-21-2014 10:42 PM]
01-21-2014 at 10:29 PM
Fizzii
In v1.0, sorceresses can't access lockpicks with Thievery (EDIT: Actually that seems to not be true. Will make a note in our private forum for Radiant in case he doesn't see this). Thanks for that :)

[Last edited by Fizzii at 01-21-2014 11:25 PM]
01-21-2014 at 11:22 PM
Radiant
Aquillion wrote:
You can get lockpicks as a Sorceress with Thievery, can't you? Or with Thievery + Stealth, at least
In v1.0, only with both skills. You are correct that this particular sequence of events makes the game unwinnable; we will fix this in v1.1. Also, in v1.1 it will be possible to obtain lockpicks with only the Thievery skill.

01-21-2014 at 11:38 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Quests that can be failed permanently (Potential for dead end with the two Eyes?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com