Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What phone do you own? (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What cell phone do you own?
Nokia
Samsung
Apple iPhone
Sony Ericsson
HTC
BlackBerry
LG
Motorola
MyPhone
Other - please specify
What system is your cell phone based on?
Android
BlackBerry
Apple iOS
Windows Phone
Basic cell phone system
Other - please specify
What system would you like to try in the near future?
Android
BlackBerry
Apple iOS
Windows Phone
Basic cell phone system
Other - please specify
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 229
IP: Logged
icon What phone do you own? (0)  
I'm thinking of buying a new cell phone... but... THERE ARE SO MANY

So I decided to make this poll and see what kind of phones do you have, so I can get some recommendations.

If you want, you can also list the pros and cons of your phone.

[Last edited by Vike91 at 01-11-2014 09:45 PM]
01-11-2014 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 595
icon Re: What phone do you own? (+2)  
Obviously it depends what type of things you would be using it for, but personally, I would always go for Android over iOS. I've had experience with both and there are numerous reasons why Android beats iOS (I haven't tried Windows Phone or Blackberry, and I'm presuming you'd like a smartphone).

I'm not going to bore you with lots of in depth reasons why Android is superior, but these are the key points:

-Android phones are, in general, much, much cheaper than Apple products.
-The higher-end Android phones are more powerful than the iPhone.
-The user experience is a lot more customizable on Android (ie. There are widgets, themes, you can write apps for Android without having to pay) if you are interested in that sort of stuff.

If I were to make a recommendation, it would probably be the Moto G if you are looking for a pretty cheap but powerful phone. It runs the latest version of Android and is extremely powerful for its low price (around £130 sim-free, $215, 156 euros or from about £10.50 a month).

Otherwise, I'd go for the Nexus 5, which is basically an even more powerful version of the Moto G.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 01-12-2014 07:39 AM : Adding a contract price into it and changing the phone price]
01-11-2014 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
icon Re: What phone do you own? (+1)  
Personally I prefer iPhone, and I have been using iOS for a few years now. I've tried Android before, but I did not experience the same comfort as I did with iOS. One of the greatest advantages for me is how well it syncs with my Mac. (Why I prefer Mac over Windows is an entirely different story) Secondly I like the enormous choice in apps, and many good ones are free too. (More so than on Android, although it's getting bigger) The customer support is also very good, I had a problem with my phone once, and they exchanged it immediately when I went to the Apple Store, no hassle at all.

If you don't have a Mac or do not plan to get one, the iPhone is still great, but syncing is not as intuitive. Also I would advise getting an iPhone through a mobile carrier, so you can get a discount on the phone. Getting a mobile plan with the phone is almost always cheaper in the end, especially if you want mobile data on your phone. (Which I assume you do, because smartphones are kind of useless without a data plan) Then, when your contract ends, you can sell the old phone and use that money to extend your plan with a new phone, which basically means you keep paying the same amount, but you get a new phone for free.
01-11-2014 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
BlueFlower
Rank Points: 156
icon Re: What phone do you own? (0)  
I don't have one of those abominations yet. They're too complexicated for thee.

01-12-2014 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Rank Points: 229
Alright. I tried an Android phone, Windows Phone and iPhone at my local store. My budget is 500 euros (out of savings).

Android: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (499 euros, 16 Gb, 151 grams)

I liked the ability to personalize the user interface (arrange icons in the order you like, change user interface color etc). The app store is amazingly large, and most of them are free. A possiblity to use Flash games and videos is good. This phone has a protection against water and dirt. Main camera resolution is 8M and front camera resolution 2M. This phone handles programs very quickly.

iPhone: 5C 16 Gb (498 euros, 16 Gb, 131 grams)

Yeah, the phone feels nice on my hand. The interface looks nice, but lacks customability and ability to run Flash. Salesman warned me the phone might not work properly outside at -20 degrees Celsius. The app store is very large tho, maybe even larger than Androids' app store. This phone has a 8M camera with flash. I don't like that the touch surface is made of glass. If the glass breaks, it's expensive to get it replaced... This phone doesn't handle the programs as quickly as Galaxy S4.

Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (399 euros, 16 Gb, 139 grams)

This phone (out of those 3) is most comfortable in my hand. The cover is made of metal and is scratch-resistant. The user interface is surprisingly easy, but... the app store is very limited. Maybe there is more apps available later? This is mid-customable (you can change the start screen and your accent color), but the app icons are very large. The small tiles don't display very usable info. The phone has a slightly better resolution (8.7 MP) and a flash. I'm not sure about the touch glass surface, but it feels very sturdy. This phone has also the best price/quality of those 3 phones, because it handles apps very quickly. The salesman said it will receive an update soon.

I'm not really sure, I'm looking for a phone which does not break/get old for a few years, and also is good for schedules, school, messaging and also gaming.

01-12-2014 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
Vike91 wrote:
Yeah, the phone feels nice on my hand. The interface looks nice, but lacks customability and ability to run Flash. Salesman warned me the phone might not work properly outside at -20 degrees Celsius. The app store is very large tho, maybe even larger than Androids' app store. This phone has a 8M camera with flash. I don't like that the touch surface is made of glass. If the glass breaks, it's expensive to get it replaced...

It does not have a customizable interface, you're right about that. In all the years I have been using iOS I have not missed Flash once. Most websites use HTML5 nowadays for mobile, and Flash is now really only used for Flash games, which are not made to be played on mobile anyway.

The phone works fine at -20, because it never reaches that temperature when you hold it in your hand or when it sits in your pocket. Just don't leave it laying somewhere outside for a long time.

FYI, all smartphone screens are made of glass, including the Samsung model you listed up top http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9295_galaxy_s4_active-5446.php , look under 'Display') You can't avoid glass, or you'd go back to a stylus-based pocketPC type of display.

I can't comment in-depth on your other choices, as I haven't used those phones. I hope you can use my feedback in your choice!
01-12-2014 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: What phone do you own? (0)  
I have a Galaxy 4 for work that I've been using for the past four months or so now. It's been great, so no complaints there. However, I've never used any other smartphone, so I'm not a connoisseur.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-13-2014 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What phone do you own? (A multiple question poll) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com