Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest - Several problems/bugs (SPOILERS) This topic has been locked
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
PicaLudica
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Heroine's Quest - Several problems/bugs (SPOILERS) (0)  
I'm enjoying the game immensely so far, but I've run into a couple of problems that may or may not have a work-around (I'm playing as a sorceress):

[BUG] When I got my things stolen, I Sixth Sense'd my way to the house where the Thieves Guild is supposed to be, but Regin was always there, and I couldn't interact with anything. So I thought I'd come back to this later, and I progressed in the plot. Now I'm trying to get the Eyes, and I need the net that was stolen from me (I guess that's the way I catch some fish to lure the cat down, and win the Librarian's trust?). The problem is, when I go to the house, Regin is finally gone, but when I try to input the code my Sixth Sense is giving me, the game tells me that the Lodge has changed their system since I discovered them. I didn't discover them earlier, and if there's a new system, my Sixth Sense isn't pointing it out. Is there a way around this? Perhaps another net, or another way to catch fish, or another food/item the cat will come down for?

[BUG] Aurvandel keeps telling me that the jarl is missing. I found him, and whacked him on the head with a Dart spell, but he glitches out. This has been reported in detail in another earlier post, I wish to confirm this glitch. Is there another way to save the jarl for a sorceress? I can't tell Aurvandel that I found him, and he doesn't return to town at all, just keeps warping to the forest screens I go to.

[PROBLEM] I've met the troll bridge ludicrously late in the game (I've avoided travelling at night whenever possible), and so I don't have anything to bribe him with (I've sold the gem form the garden to Regin, I've exposed the Svartalfheim crystal to daylight, and I gave the Andvaranaut to Heime). I've started to talk to him about piranhas, and made him stand on his shield, but I didn't see things through since I was low on health and mana, and decided to come back later if I need to deal with the Troll. Now I know that I *do* need to deal with him to reunite the lovers, and of course the piranha dialogue doesn't work any more (the Troll knows I'm lying), and I still don't have anything to bribe him with. Is there a way around this, except for loading an earlier save?

[PROBLEM] At the wall of ice in Svartalfheim, it would be nice to have a message appear when using the Disrupt spell at low level, to give an indication that what the player is doing is the right thing, but that the spell needs to be stronger (like it's done with the rune stone which yields the Ice spell). The only reason I came back to the wall to try Disrupting it again was the fact that Aurvandel told me that the wall could be overcome by a mage powerful enough (which is perhaps the intended hint?)

[PROBLEM] I was excited to be able to brew potions, but I haven't been able to make a single one yet. I can't even try to make the Stamina Potion, since I couldn't buy the recipe yet (I'm always struggling for money, and some purchases seemed more important than the recipe). As for the other two, I can't get the ingredients, since some of them seem unique: I gave the fox fur to Aurvandel for the reward (and I can't find another sample for my potions); and I can't get any amethyst (I know there's one in the backpack Thrivaldi stole, but I tried everything I could think of to get it back and I always end up dying). So my question is: are these ingredients unique, or am I missing something?

[PROBLEM (NEW)] While I was looking around with Aurvandel's telescope (I've used the "Wait" command a couple of times), the wizard actually left the room and locked me in without saying anything (he usually says that he needs to go and asks me to leave). While I was taking stock and trying to figure out how to get out without looking like a thief, Aurvandel came back and accused me of being a thief, which resulted in a game over. If the wizard needs to leave the room while the player is using the telescope, the action should be interrupted and the player should be given the opportunity to leave.

I realize that I'm complaining a lot, but really, I'm only nitpicking because this is already a very polished and well crafted game, and it makes me want all the more to chase all the nasty bugs away, and to make sure there aren't quest/game breaking issues.
All in all, SPLENDID job, wonderful game, and great homage to the Quest for Glory series too! To the devs who are reading: thank you very much for giving us Heroine's Quest! :)

[Last edited by PicaLudica at 12-29-2013 06:32 PM]
12-29-2013 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
oneoff
icon Re: Heroine's Quest - Several problems/bugs (SPOILERS) (0)  
1. I never got my stolen stuff back but don't worry, the cat doesn't want anything to eat. All you have to do is use the blink spell to get very close and grab it before it climbs up the tree - then head back to the village and he'll do the rest. Edit: Whoops, that's how I did it...minus the actually required step of using Shadow when you're at the base of the tree - sorry for the mislead there.

2. My mirror was stolen so I can't be sure but I think it might be the solution to this one - her gaze was what charmed the Jarl in the first place wasn't it? A reflection might be just what the doctor ordered.
You don't need to do this one to get the eye anyway, challenge the wizard for the eye and you can play 3 rounds of the game instead.

3. If you go back to the elf city you can pick up the cursed ring again. It won't show in your inventory until you save, reload but you can then give it to the troll to cover your costs of crossing the bridge. Then you just have to cover the added costs for the lovers - running around in the underground killing things built up my money fairly quickly, so thats an option. Alternatively have you harvested and sold the various ingredients? The tree bark is worth a decent chunk as I remember, as is the umm moss?

4. Didn't know that was possible, might have to take a run back down there at some time and see what's hidden.

5. No idea.

[Last edited by oneoff at 12-29-2013 07:42 PM]
12-29-2013 at 04:57 AM
perrilin
But what if you don't have magic? How are you supposed to catch the cat as a rogue?
12-29-2013 at 05:16 AM
k2j
perrilin wrote:
But what if you don't have magic? How are you supposed to catch the cat as a rogue?

In my case (rogue) I had picked up Animal Handling as a side skill so I'm assuming it was my high enough skill that allowed me to just walk up to the cat and pick it up.
12-29-2013 at 06:12 AM
v_k
perrilin wrote:
Can't you just sneak on him?
12-29-2013 at 08:40 AM
PicaLudica
oneoff wrote:
1. I never got my stolen stuff back but don't worry, the cat doesn't want anything to eat. All you have to do is use the blink spell to get very close and grab it before it climbs up the tree - then head back to the village and he'll do the rest.

2. My mirror was stolen so I can't be sure but I think it might be the solution to this one - her gaze was what charmed the Jarl in the first place wasn't it? A reflection might be just what the doctor ordered.
You don't need to do this one to get the eye anyway, challenge the wizard for the eye and you can play 3 rounds of the game instead.

3. If you go back to the elf city you can pick up the cursed ring again. It won't show in your inventory until you save, reload but you can then give it to the troll to cover your costs of crossing the bridge. Then you just have to cover the added costs for the lovers - running around in the underground killing things built up my money fairly quickly, so thats an option. Alternatively have you harvested and sold the various ingredients? The tree bark is worth a decent chunk as I remember, as is the umm moss?

Thank you very much for your suggestions. :) However, I'm still stuck:

1. I already tried the Blink spell, but it doesn't work. By the time I materialize, the cat is already out of my reach. It starts climbing as soon as I cast the spell. :/ I tried Blink'ing to different spots, I even tried to aim *at* the cat directly, nothing works. So my guess is: either I'm not Blink'ing to the right spot, or my Blink spell is too low level (perhaps at high level, you materialize faster?)

2. I did spot a mirror in Aurvandel's study, but I don't remember being able to get it while the wizard is in the room. And I can't get in while he's away, his barrier is too strong. I tried Shield'ing the Jarl from the Huldra's gaze, but it didn't work. :/ Again, my Shiled spell is too low perhaps, but in this case, an ingame indication would be welcome.
I don't really want to challenge my way out of this just yet. :) I'm trying to see how far I can go without doing that (I prefer the hard, complicated way out of things xD)

3. Thanks for the tip about the ring, I wasn't aware I could get another one. I hope there's an infinite supply, though, 'cause giving him the ring only covered *my* toll, and it seems I need to pay again for the lovers. The troll doesn't accept my money, though. I already tried giving him some (maybe I didn't have enough, though? If that was the case, again, an ingame indication would be welcome).

Concerning the ingredients for potions, it turned out that even though I've given away the mugwort and the fox fur (and they didn't appear in my inventory any more), the game still registered them as being in my possession when I tried brewing potions. Since I thought I was missing ingredients, I didn't even try to mix potions before, and almost missed the opportunity to do so. :/ My guess is that the ingredients that are unique - the amethyst, the fur and the mugwort - don't ever run out, since you can't get more. An ingame indication of this would be welcome. And I STILL can't get the amethyst, damn it! >___< Though I may have an idea: at midday, you can see bright sun rays at the entrance of the cave. So my hunch is that I have to deflect those rays somehow in the direction of the troll. I'll try that later.

12-29-2013 at 04:48 PM
v_k
1 -
Click here to view the secret text

I think fox fur is renewable - offer the fox some food (meat or fish) and it'll get out of the hole again. Mudwort and it are probably shown as available because you gave them to Aurvandel and it's his alchemy lab that you're using.
12-29-2013 at 04:57 PM
PicaLudica
v_k wrote:
1 -

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of that! :)

v_k wrote:
I think fox fur is renewable - offer the fox some food (meat or fish) and it'll get out of the hole again. Mudwort and it are probably shown as available because you gave them to Aurvandel and it's his alchemy lab that you're using.

That would be a very logical explanation, but I was brewing at Liff's shop. :) Though I guess perhaps he also has a supply of those? And thanks for the tip about the fox, I hadn't tried to lure him out (was too focused on/aggravated by the bewitched jarl xD)

12-29-2013 at 05:26 PM
v_k
Ah, then it's just the the labs come with some default reagents. Skrymir's one has the fur too.

Unfortunately there's a glitch with this scene that prevents you from getting fox fur at all after the Jarl gets bewitched :(
At least that's how it was for me - the fur was there, but I just couldn't click it.
12-29-2013 at 05:44 PM
v_k
PicaLudica wrote: at midday, you can see bright sun rays at the entrance of the cave. So my hunch is that I have to deflect those rays somehow in the direction of the troll. I'll try that later.
Thanks a lot for the tip, that works! With a mirror, that is :(.
Finally I can get this goddamned amethyst off my mind.
12-29-2013 at 06:02 PM
perrilin
I've tried sneaking up on the cat to no avail. Perhaps I need a higher sneak. Sneak is currently 60.
12-29-2013 at 06:16 PM
PicaLudica

ADDED NEW PROBLEM TO ORIGINAL POST.
v_k wrote:
PicaLudica wrote: at midday, you can see bright sun rays at the entrance of the cave. So my hunch is that I have to deflect those rays somehow in the direction of the troll. I'll try that later.
Thanks a lot for the tip, that works! With a mirror, that is :(.
Finally I can get this goddamned amethyst off my mind.

Great, at least now we know what to do! :) I don't have a mirror, unfortunately (I vaguely remember finding one early in the game, but I guess it got stolen by the thief), but I'll remember that trick for my next playthrough. Still, I think that the Shield spell should be able to reflect things, it's a shame it doesn't work that way. Using a mirror is not really sorcery, after all. :)

perrilin wrote:
I've tried sneaking up on the cat to no avail. Perhaps I need a higher sneak. Sneak is currently 60.
Have you tried luring the cat with some food? I couldn't try it myself because I lost my net, but I'm pretty sur it would come down for some fish. :)

[Last edited by PicaLudica at 12-29-2013 06:27 PM]
12-29-2013 at 06:23 PM
perrilin
I'm thinking that's a warrior's way, since when I tried to fish, it said I didn't have the animal affinity for it.

On a different problem, how do you find the wraith's bones to burn? when you defeat him at the city gates, there is no way to track it back to the bones. I have tried digging up every grave in the graveyard.

[Last edited by perrilin at 12-29-2013 06:42 PM]
12-29-2013 at 06:31 PM
v_k
perrilin wrote: On a different problem, how do you find the wraith's bones to burn?

Another option I can think of is to climb the tree after him.

[Last edited by v_k at 12-29-2013 06:57 PM]
12-29-2013 at 06:57 PM
perrilin
Climbing doesn't work. It says the cat can climb higher.

Also, I kill the wraith, run to the cemetery and just get attacked by a bunch of skeletons. Even after I kill all of them, I don't see anything rising from a grave.

[Last edited by perrilin at 12-29-2013 07:26 PM]
12-29-2013 at 07:00 PM
v_k
perrilin wrote: Also, I kill the wraith, run to the cemetery and just get attacked by a bunch of skeletons. Even after I kill all of them, I don't see anything rising from a grave.

[Last edited by v_k at 12-29-2013 07:37 PM]
12-29-2013 at 07:34 PM
perrilin
Yay! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now, about that darned cat.....

And how to get the lovers together. Neither one of them want the flowers.

[Last edited by perrilin at 12-29-2013 08:31 PM]
12-29-2013 at 08:09 PM
[BUG] If you try to feed the fox while the huldra and jarn are there, the game will freeze.

[BUG] If you try to buy wares from Lifthrasir while she is sitting and cutting stuff, the game will freeze.
12-30-2013 at 12:12 PM
hammoudith
v_k wrote:

Unfortunately there's a glitch with this scene that prevents you from getting fox fur at all after the Jarl gets bewitched :(
At least that's how it was for me - the fur was there, but I just couldn't click it.

Any workaround for this? I got the fur previously but I cannot get the fox out of the den with meat to get my pack from Thrivaldi because it does not trust me...
12-31-2013 at 06:37 PM
[BUG] If you die in Gandvik (at least on the screen that has Arngrim's Tower), the drowning animation will play even if you are dying from exhaustion rather than falling in the lake.

[Last edited by 1848 at 01-01-2014 01:51 PM]
01-01-2014 at 01:50 PM
Scooter
hammoudith wrote:
v_k wrote:

Any workaround for this? I got the fur previously but I cannot get the fox out of the den with meat to get my pack from Thrivaldi because it does not trust me...

I seem to have this issue too. I caught the fox once near the archery range and got the fur without any issue, but I want to get him again to get my pack, and whenever I try to lure him out it says he doesn't trust me enough to eat from my hand.

I have tried talking to him and wandering aimlessly hoping for him to reappear.

Is there any way to get the fox out of his hole if he doesn't trust you?
01-02-2014 at 10:04 AM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
What class are you?
01-02-2014 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
Scooter
Yes should have mentioned that, I'm a warrior with magic abilities.
01-02-2014 at 11:12 AM
Fizzii
Ok, that doesn't sound right then.

As a workaround, try using magic to get your backpack back instead of the fox.
01-02-2014 at 11:27 AM
Scooter
Ok thank you for that. I don't have a spell that will help yet, but when I do I'll give it a shot.

Happy to help with debugging it if this is not how it's supposed to work.
01-02-2014 at 11:33 AM
v_k
Fizzii wrote: As a workaround, try using magic to get your backpack back instead of the fox.
From what I've read here, it seems like non-magic classes can't get the required spell even if they have magic skills.
01-02-2014 at 12:16 PM
Fizzii
Ah ok. I guess the team needs to go through hybridisation a bit more (though I don't think hybrids should be more powerful than pure classes, personally).

It's not a mandatory quest to completing the game anyway, so you will be able to finish the game despite this :).

[Last edited by Fizzii at 01-02-2014 12:24 PM]
01-02-2014 at 12:24 PM
jannisary
Has anyone figured out how to rescue the cat as a thief with no magic? My stealth is up to 83 and it still runs up the tree.
01-06-2014 at 03:12 AM
Sanven
jannisary wrote:
Has anyone figured out how to rescue the cat as a thief with no magic? My stealth is up to 83 and it still runs up the tree.

This one drove me up the wall too, but it's actually easy you probably didn't ask someone a certain question.

IMO I think it should be redone because it's just a problem I never had and I picked the question randomly.

[Last edited by Sanven at 01-06-2014 03:59 AM]
01-06-2014 at 03:27 AM
jannisary
Sanven wrote:

This one drove me up the wall too, but it's actually easy you probably didn't ask someone a certain question.

IMO I think it should be redone because it's just a problem I never had and I picked question the randomly.

Huh. And you have to

No, I didn't even try that. Thanks!
01-06-2014 at 03:39 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest - Several problems/bugs (SPOILERS) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com