Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Advanced Concepts : Roach Queens : 2 North, 2 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
jwanders
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged
icon Advanced Concepts : Roach Queens : 2 North, 2 West (0)  
Last secret room for me and I'm getting nowhere with it. I'm not sure if I should be trying to A) minimize the number of spawned roaches, B) Make sure all the roaches can get out at the same time as the queen, or C) Let the queen out and then direct any remaining roaches around without entering the bottom left section. Any nudges would be greatly appreciated!
12-08-2013 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: Advanced Concepts : Roach Queens : 2 North, 2 West (0)  
Some hints:
Click here to view the secret text

If you would like more specific hints, please let me know!
12-08-2013 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rinaldo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
I too feel like I'm getting nowhere. I have no problem getting the queen out, but once the bottom left area is closed to me, I can't guide the roaches out. Even if I get any into the leftmost column of the maze, once I circle back around to gather up the others, they all follow me back to the bottom right corner. I'm clearly missing something basic and will feel stupid, but I don't mind that: any guidance will be gratefully received.
09-27-2022 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384

File: RoachQueen.png (323.5 KB)
Downloaded 159 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Advanced Concepts : Roach Queens : 2 North, 2 West (+2)  
You might to try get a situation something like the left image below. From there, you can go up and around to achieve something similar to the right image. It should be smooth sailing from there.

Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
09-27-2022 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rinaldo
Thank you for the thoughtful help. I can achieve a situation like the one on the left of your example. But when I try to go "up and around," I drive the queen downward, and as I descend on the right to drive her back, the roaches follow, and any new roaches follow the same pattern, however I time it (at least so far). If I manage to trap the queen at the bend, by the time I get below her she's surrounded by roaches and I can't make any headway upwards. So, not yet smooth sailing.

[Last edited by Rinaldo at 09-27-2022 07:11 PM]
09-27-2022 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384

File: Diso AC Roach Queens 2N2W Victory.demo (23 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
Demo attached

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
09-30-2022 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rinaldo
Thanks so much! I don't think I would have cracked it without your demo -- showing the necessity to wait at crucial moments to maintain the flow. My solution wasn't as neat or minimal as yours, but it did the job. Blessings upon you.
09-30-2022 at 11:34 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Advanced Concepts : Roach Queens : 2 North, 2 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com