Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Am I just a mediocre architect? (Internet behavior)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Am I just a mediocre architect? (0)  
I was reading #4 on this article on Cracked, and I was wondering if that was generally what people thought of my own work. That is to say, are the holds I make generally "meh". I'm not really a kid anymore, but still, should I just stop trying for several years?

I realize this is a terribly selfish and childish question to ask, but I am curious if I should stop before people run out of patience.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 07-26-2013 10:23 PM]
07-26-2013 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Am I just a mediocre architect? (+1)  
I actually haven't played either of your holds but judging by the ratings I'd say people enjoyed them. From my perspective, there are very few holds that never should have been made. Most of them afford at least some enjoyment for both the architect and the player. If you enjoy it, keep doing it. We don't have to play it if we don't want to but appreciate the choice.

07-26-2013 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Am I just a mediocre architect? (+25)  
I made a bunch of holds in the past few years, and looking back at it all, I do feel that the quality is quite below what I feel I could achieve today. But I also feel like I wouldn't have bothered to keep going if I didn't have people who gave my earlier stuff a try.

So don't give up. If you like making holds, keep making them! If people love them, then even better! :)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-27-2013 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Am I just a mediocre architect? (0)  
A developer's perspective: I feel the quality of the DROD games themselves -- that we as a team can create -- is steadily improving over time. We've had a bumpy road, but if we had stopped at one of these, there would be no TSS on the horizon.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-27-2013 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mtuan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
If you look back at the first years of your life you will feel that you should not walk at all, since your first walk is terribly awkward.

Based on adult's standard, your childish walking skills were very poor and can be fatalistic too. You may hurt yourself when walking. You may make others hurt by falling to others. In short, you are a danger to our society simply because you were trying to walk.

Did you stop walking because of such rationalization?
07-27-2013 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
How can one learn without mistakes?

Looking back, my holds are quite horrible. Broken English, I ignored other people's opinions and such. I haven't published my newest hold yet but if I hadn't made earlier contributions I wouldn't know what things could be improved.

Make mistakes and only then you can master something.
07-27-2013 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I would say most people's creations are mediocre, seeing as though mediocre refers to 'average', and the vast majority of everything is average.

There is literally nothing wrong with that.
07-27-2013 at 02:35 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Am I just a mediocre architect? (Internet behavior)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com