Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Scorching Earth, also: Terraform (Burn, baby, burn!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
VortexSurfer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
IP: Logged
icon Scorching Earth, also: Terraform (+2)  
I'm currently revisiting some of my favorite browser-based puzzles, and apparently this one has never been presented here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/rowlandrose/scorching-earth
(coincidentally published exactly five years ago; longer review here)

It's a very nice turn-based puzzle in which you basically fight fire with fire, burning down the ... countryside.

Different terrain types (desert, hill, swamp, forest) yield 'burn points' over a fixed number of turns, and these burn points allow you to spread the fire via different actions. The 'opposing' fire spreads diffently but in a deterministic way (so this could theoretically even be played with 'pen and paper', which I always like in a puzzle).

It has some fairly tricky levels, and you can also try to optimize your score in finished levels. Anyway, a rather unique puzzle concept.

Update: I have made a list of optimal scores here (the par scores in later levels in particular are rather 'soft') - Please let me know if you have any improvments!

[Last edited by VortexSurfer at 05-08-2013 09:08 PM]
04-26-2013 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
logicGamesFan
Rank Points: 40
icon Re: Scorching Earth (+1)  
That's an interesting game, although I find it very hard right from the start.

Right now I'm playing another game based around similar mechanics: Terraform (available on Desura). I'm just starting, but it seems to include a nice variety of mechanics. Interactions between elements, tools and weather are really well thought out. The same goes for puzzles, witch ride a pretty good learning curve. Really recommend seeing the demo, if you like "Scorching Earth" idea.

[Last edited by logicGamesFan at 05-02-2013 09:47 PM]
05-02-2013 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
VortexSurfer
icon Re: Scorching Earth (+1)  
I agree - the difficulty curve of Scorching Earth is not quite ideal. A few tutorial levels would make it easier to get into the game. On the other hand, it doesn't get that much harder later on (to reach at least the par scores).

For me, it helped to realize that there is no turn limit/penalty - sometimes it's easier to take your time (in levels without an opponent, or in certain spots).

Terraform is rather good so far (I'm about midway through I guess), I second the recommendation - check out the demo if you like this type of turn-based puzzles.

[Last edited by VortexSurfer at 05-04-2013 12:24 AM]
05-04-2013 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Scorching Earth (0)  
By the way, welcome back, VortexSurfer! The Palace of Puzzles will always hold a spot one of my favorite and most inspiring holds.

05-04-2013 at 01:07 AM
VortexSurfer
icon Re: Scorching Earth (0)  
Thank you, RoboRob! I haven't played DROD much lately, but I check this forum regularly and have come across several great puzzles this way (SpaceChem, Hanano/Jelly No, Hex-a-Hop ...).

In the meantime, I'm still busy with Terraform - Overall I'd like it to have a few harder levels, or levels with more complicated solutions, but maybe that's still to come.

05-08-2013 at 09:20 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Scorching Earth, also: Terraform (Burn, baby, burn!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com