Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jordthro
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
IP: Logged
icon Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (+3)  
Just a quick question: why not make the ISO's of these CD's available and charge CD prices for them? I've already purchased all of the holds from the SMS's, but it would be nice to have the additional content also found on the CD's. GOG does this; they have a great "extras" section for many of their games.

I'm just saying: there's an untapped market; I'd be willing to buy at least.

04-11-2013 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (+1)  
Excuse the bump, but...

I was just thinking about this. Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to buy many of the DROD games and Smitemaster's Selections on CD, but now I'd really like to collect them.

I'd really like to have them all on CD, including the bonus content, but I understand that you can't just keep making them, which is fair enough.

I recently bought the digital download of DMOD, and decided to burn it to a disc and print out the cover and insert (which is included in the download, fortunately). It came out surprisingly well -- you wouldn't know it wasn't the genuine article (well, minus the art on the CD itself, of course).

So, to repeat Jordthro's question - couldn't this be done? I'd also be willing to pay full CD price for them. My addition to the question would be if it were also possible to include the insert/cover art, so I can make the physical CD and case as well.

[Last edited by Kwerulous at 05-29-2013 12:07 PM]
05-29-2013 at 12:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (+2)  
I'll think about this. I'd like to help, but I'm not jumping on this because it would take me a surprising amount of time to set up, which would push back the TSS release.

CDs that are left in inventory:
* (2) Smitemaster for Hire
* TCB, both CD and the Deluxe Edition w/ poster

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-29-2013 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (0)  
Awesome! :) But I don't think anyone would want it to delay work on TSS, so perhaps something to consider in the future.
05-29-2013 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4591
Did the TCB CD disappear already? I just went on the order page and it says "out of stock" :(

05-29-2013 at 04:50 PM
Kwerulous
TCB CD seems to be out of stock but the link to order is still there. The deluxe box set looks like it's in stock, however.

Incidently, there are still some JtRH CDs available, too (supposedly).
05-29-2013 at 05:03 PM
mrimer
Kwerulous wrote:
TCB CD seems to be out of stock but the link to order is still there.
Ah, sorry -- to clarify -- I have a few of these personally on-hand. I can provide custom orders for these on request.
Incidently, there are still some JtRH CDs available, too (supposedly).
Yes, Plimus should have some still in-stock...but they've had ongoing issues with shipping these out for years now. That's why I need to bug them about it.

05-29-2013 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jordthro
I'm grateful that you might do this after TSS gets released! I sent you a PM, mrimer. I definitely want to buy TCB CD with the deluxe content and the JTRH CD. So far the TCB link seems broken and I can't find anywhere to buy the JTRH CD.

Also, I definitely concur with Kwerulous, I would like to see the CD cover and box scans. That would be awesome.

06-25-2013 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Unfortunately, Plimus pulled another fast/dumb one...

They, apparently, lost all of our CD inventory that was in their warehouse in Oregon. So, our JtRH CDs have disappeared, along with our KDD CDs and some of our TCB CDs. I don't know how a company just loses inventory like that, but Plimus managed to. Twice, in fact.

I do still have plenty of the TCB Deluxe edition personally on-hand. So, you can order that, but I don't know if/when we will be getting more CDs for KDD/JtRH in stock. There isn't much demand for those games on CD these days.

Plimus is the worst payment processor and order distributor ever! I've closed our account with them. We are going solely BMT Micro now.

When you say the TCB CD link seems broken, this was probably why. So, I took down the Plimus links last week, replacing them with BMT Micro links where possible. If there are still any broken links on the site, would you please point them out? I'll either fix them or remove them, depending.

06-25-2013 at 02:21 PM
Kwerulous
mrimer wrote: They, apparently, lost all of our CD inventory that was in their warehouse in Oregon. So, our JtRH CDs have disappeared, along with our KDD CDs and some of our TCB CDs. I don't know how a company just loses inventory like that, but Plimus managed to. Twice, in fact.
Wait - there were still some KDD CDs available? I guess it doesn't matter now, but the order page never had a link to buy KDD on CD (definitely - I recently wanted to get all that I could on CD, especially the main titles, and it didn't look like I could get KDD).
06-25-2013 at 07:59 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
mrimer wrote:
Plimus is the worst payment processor and order distributor ever! I've closed our account with them. We are going solely BMT Micro now.
That's fantastic news!

By the way, the main Caravel Games site has difficulty indicators! When did this happen? (I approve :) )
06-25-2013 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Kwerulous wrote:
mrimer wrote: They, apparently, lost all of our CD inventory that was in their warehouse in Oregon. So, our JtRH CDs have disappeared, along with our KDD CDs and some of our TCB CDs. I don't know how a company just loses inventory like that, but Plimus managed to. Twice, in fact.
Wait - there were still some KDD CDs available? I guess it doesn't matter now, but the order page never had a link to buy KDD on CD (definitely - I recently wanted to get all that I could on CD, especially the main titles, and it didn't look like I could get KDD).
Well, it's a philosophical question as to whether there were CDs available. Like the Schrodinger's cat question, the CDs had a chance of being there until someone actually tried to order one, and then they all disappeared :?

06-25-2013 at 11:59 PM
Kwerulous
mrimer wrote: Well, it's a philosophical question as to whether there were CDs available. Like the Schrodinger's cat question, the CDs had a chance of being there until someone actually tried to order one, and then they all disappeared :?
Ah, like with JtRH. :(

Why didn't I order them when they first came out... I won't be making that mistake again, so you've got a definite purchaser of TSS on CD right here. :D
06-26-2013 at 09:59 AM
Jordthro
Now that my Deluxe CD version of TCB came in the mail, I've done the work of scanning in the box images, CD insert, CD label, and Map of Dugandy, for my own personal archive. I'm wondering if I have permission to post these to the forum for those who have bought the download only versions. This would allow people to make their own CD's in the same way that Kwerulous made his Deadly Music of Death CD.

I'm really hoping that I can and that this thread can turn into a repository of scanned files for the official games and smitemaster's selections so that I'll at least be able to "reproduce" these CD's since I missed out on having the original copies. I can't see how owning these images would be a great violation of copyright (except maybe for the Map of Dugandy) since you still need to pay for the content. Anyway, I'm hoping someone can give me the thumbs up to post them and to encourage others into providing similar files of the games they own in physical form.

07-20-2013 at 11:10 PM
mrimer
Hmm...for sold out SmS, I don't mind posting scans of the CD inserts and CD labels. But, if someone would like a TCB CD/deluxe set, they can order one.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-21-2013 01:45 AM]
07-21-2013 at 01:37 AM
Jordthro
That's great news, thanks Mrimer! What about scans for KDD, JTRH and DROD RPG? I'd gladly buy these products if they still existed.

07-21-2013 at 02:17 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
If the idea is to give them to the people who bought the downloaded version, then I'm sure it's a better idea to not put them in this thread but in a place that is only available for people who has bought the downloaded version.

[Last edited by Tim at 07-21-2013 02:29 AM : somehow firefox cached the wrong version to be posted lol]
07-21-2013 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jordthro
I'm totally fine with that, and that does make more sense. What I'm really looking forward to are the ISO images of the original discs and those would have to be made available in the download area along with all other purchases. There is a *TON* of great content only available if you purchased those CDs at the time they came out. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I'd even re-buy my downloadable SMS's just to get those added to my collection.

I'm planning on bring it up again after TSS comes out, though. Priorities.

07-21-2013 at 02:37 AM
Jordthro
mrimer wrote:
I'll think about this. I'd like to help, but I'm not jumping on this because it would take me a surprising amount of time to set up, which would push back the TSS release.

CDs that are left in inventory:
* (2) Smitemaster for Hire
* TCB, both CD and the Deluxe Edition w/ poster

Now that TSS is released, will you again consider the possibility of posting the full ISO's for people who have purchased the SMS's? If not, would you at least provide a way for people to purchase these old ISO's?

Thanks for your consideration. I know it's a lot to ask, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who wants to purchase those old SMS's to have a complete collection.

07-30-2014 at 03:00 AM
Jordthro
*Bump.*

I never did get an answer back on this one and I think it's a good question. I'm sure there are a good many of us who are late to the CD collection party and making these ISO's available as a download will be a great opportunity for us to own these high quality disks.

If not the whole ISO, how about making the bonus content available, like the DEV interviews, song files, etc...? I'm really glad that "A Pointless Thing Called Life" is downloadable, but there's a lot more similar content on those CD's that's equally as good.

Anyway, I hope you seriously consider it. It'd be great to own these.

[Last edited by Jordthro at 09-06-2014 03:10 AM]
09-06-2014 at 03:10 AM
mrimer
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (+6)  
Thanks for the feedback, Jordthro. I'm considering it, but other projects are currently taking priority, so I'm not sure when we'll get to this.

09-13-2014 at 12:57 AM
Jordthro
Thanks! I'm all out of mod points, but I'd give you +5, if I had them, Mrimer.

09-13-2014 at 06:54 PM
Jordthro
*Bump*

Woohoo! I have been looking for a legit copy of Webfoot DROD for years. I was finally able to contact Webfoot directly, and they gave me permission to play my pirated copy for free. I tried to follow up with them to see if they'd be willing to release it as freeware, but I haven't yet gotten a response and it's been a few days. Anyway, I'm beyond thrilled that I get to own the copy I have.

So I'm getting the collecting bug again... Do you think you'd be willing to make those original SMS ISO's available for purchase? It'd be great to own these in digital format even if I never have the actual CD's. There was a ton of great content included in those discs, and it'd be fun to burn the CD's myself and make my library complete. I'm sure I'm not alone in people who'd be willing to pay for those CD's.

02-09-2015 at 10:49 PM
Jordthro
*Bump*

I doubt this will ever come to fruition, but I still think after all these years that being able to buy the original DROD CD's in digital ISO format would be a great way to generate additional revenue and help those of us who didn't buy (or weren't even aware of DROD at the time the CD's were sold) to get their hands on a great piece of DROD history without going through the expensive process of making new CD's.

I gave your post as many mod points as I was able to accumulate, Mr. Rimer. Will you consider making these great CD's available again in digital format? I think each SmS ISO would be no greater a download size than TSS even with all the extras so I don't think adding them would strain your servers too much. [neckbeardrant]I also know you have at least one person who would gladly pay for all of these downloads even though I've purchased all of the SmS's separately--not only on this channel but also through Steam and GoG. I purchased DROD RPG again on Steam just to get the exclusive OST and I bought the Travelogue OST's for Gunthro and TSS on BandCamp that had the songs not included in the soundtrack sold on this side. It's always bothered me that I can't complete my collection.[/neckbeardrant] Anyway, at least give it some more thought.

Thanks!

[Last edited by Jordthro at 01-06-2021 02:43 AM]
01-05-2021 at 04:32 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (+3)  
I appreciate you asking about releasing SmS ISOs.

I agree this might be a nice idea as a collector's item, but candidly I'm not sure it's worth the effort from our side; I wouldn't expect net revenue to be worth (in terms of minimum wage) the time the team would need to spend preparing each of these product SKUs for sale and distribution.

Also, for transparency, there are some hurdles to releasing all of these. I produced and printed the last few SmS releases. The earlier ones were produced by Erik. Unfortunately, I don't have all of those in my possession myself; I don't think I received a physical copy of all of them as they were printed and distributed. :(

01-08-2021 at 06:36 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Yeah, I can empathize with both sides. I want those CDs to live on forever in some form. We worked hard on them, and they were cool. But from Mike's side, it looks like a large effort. Time is precious.

-Erik

01-08-2021 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720

File: IDontReallyHate.wav (14.8 MB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (+10)  
I would think a big obstacle to re-releasing these in any form would be getting permission from the rightsholders to distribute the bonus content, as Erik alluded to here.

I'm not sure there is a comprehensive list anywhere of what was included on all the discs, so I decided to make one.

Journey to Rooted Hold
Click here to view the secret text

King Dugan's Dungeon

Fall 2005: Perfection

Winter 2005: Halph Stories

Spring 2006 - Beethro's Teacher

Summer/Fall 2006 - Journey's End

The City Beneath

Summer 2008 - Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom

Spring 2009 - Smitemaster for Hire

Spring 2011 - The Truthlock Method

Gunthro and the Epic Blunder

To sum up, there's not a whole lot here that's actually exclusive. Honestly, I think the greatest appeal of the SMS CDs is the physical objects themselves.

Some things I think Caravel could release more broadly without a great deal of effort are the maps of the High Path and Dugandy, the instrumental version of "I Saw Isosceles," and the interview with Jon Sonnenberg. It would be nice to have high quality cover art for all the releases, but I think Erik lost a lot of the original artwork in a hard drive crash some time back, so that's probably not feasible. The custom character portraits might be better packaged into something like Custom Character Graphics Packs for their respective holds, similar to the TSS Custom Elements Bonus Pack.

Erik indicates in the release notes that "I Don't Really Hate Putting Up the Christmas Tree" should be considered public domain, so I've attached it here. Lyrics are behind the secret tag.

01-11-2021 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (+3)  
RabidChild, dayum!

That is awe-inspiringly complete. You would bring glee to the Archivists. Thank you!

It brought back memories, mostly good ones.

-Erik

01-12-2021 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jordthro
I figured that might be the case. :? It's a shame, because it seems like that history is going to be lost forever because it wasn't preserved.

Thanks for looking into it, Mr. Rimer.

All the best,
Jordthro

01-12-2021 at 04:07 AM
mrimer
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out (+6)  
I've always wondered was took up the other 24 pages.
IIRC, I drafted a whole instruction manual for the game which included a lot of the material that found its way into the in-game help pages.

I'll take a look when I have a moment to check whether I still have this lying around. Or maybe an e-version. If so, I'll provide a digital copy.

01-13-2021 at 07:18 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster's Selection CD's that are sold out
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com