Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Alienation (A cute game we made that is now in beta)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged
icon Alienation (+3)  
Hey.

For those of you who don't know, I'm now enrolled in a game design and programming school. It's been a bit of a bumpy road, but at the moment it feels pretty good.

For seven weeks now we have been working on a project in a group. The game is called Alienation. It's a very short cute game about bullying and finding a friend.

Here is the download link (37 MB): http://rheb.mauft.com/Alienation.zip

[Last edited by Rheb at 03-25-2013 06:57 PM]
03-16-2013 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Alienation (+1)  
Very quick review.

Seemed to be basically a side scrolling shooter.

You "shoot" positive words while enemies "shoot" negative words and attack you.

It seemed silly to me because it seems like everyone shoots random words. It might have more meaning if the enemy shoots something mean like "you're ugly" and then you choose an effective reply like "beauty is only skin deep".
03-16-2013 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Alienation (+2)  
larrymurk wrote:
Very quick review.

Seemed to be basically a side scrolling shooter.

You "shoot" positive words while enemies "shoot" negative words and attack you.

It seemed silly to me because it seems like everyone shoots random words. It might have more meaning if the enemy shoots something mean like "you're ugly" and then you choose an effective reply like "beauty is only skin deep".
"How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

03-16-2013 at 10:36 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Alienation (0)  
I only got a window with nothing in it. Inside was completely transparent, but there was some music.

Is there something else I need to install?

03-17-2013 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Ok, sorry about the issues people have been having with the game. I've uploaded a new version where the screen bug is hopefully fixed. I've also added a startup bugfix folder for those who doesn't get anything besides a console window appearing.

We have received a lot of mixed feedback about the readability and meaning of the words you are shooting. Making this game has been has been hard for us in this aspect, we have worked very hard to try to focus the game around the feeling of alienation, while still making it an enjoyable game to play. All I can say is that it is possible we set our goals to high, trying to deliver on something we weren't quite ready to do. We listen to all the feedback we get and it is definitely something we can take with us to our future projects, but all I can say for now is that it is probably too late to make any radical changes to the core mechanics of the game.

03-18-2013 at 03:09 PM
Rheb
So, for anyone that's interested, what will probably be the final version is up now. We've added an intro and an outro and a lot of animations.

I think the game has got a much stronger feeling to it now, I pretty happy about how it turned out.

Here's the download link of 37 MB (EDIT: same link as above): http://rheb.mauft.com/Alienation.zip

Enjoy! :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 03-25-2013 06:58 PM]
03-25-2013 at 06:48 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Alienation (A cute game we made that is now in beta)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com