Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A quick question to Caravel
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Neather man
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6
IP: Logged
icon A quick question to Caravel (0)  
When is the next DROD RPG? It appears you are sailing from GatEB to TSS, with no RPG game in between. Tendry's Tale is great, but it wears thin after four years. I was bored to tears with TCB after having it for five years before moving to GatEB.
02-11-2013 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: A quick question to Caravel (0)  
Wait, you played through over 450 user-made holds compatible for DRODRPG and TCB already? And bought and played through all of the Smitemaster Selections? I'm impressed.

02-11-2013 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
No need for the snark. To be sure, there are a lot of user-made holds, but they're not all high-quality. And the majority of high-quality ones are at the top end of the difficulty range, which is frustrating for players further down the scale. And there are very few finished user-made RPG holds. :(

02-11-2013 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather man
In reality, I have played all the user-made holds, except for the SMS's because I don't have money for them. I'm stuck on Uncturage in TCB Demo. I beat all other DROD demos though.
02-11-2013 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Sounds to me like you've got the rest of TCB to play then, no?
And have you really played through every high quality user-made hold?

02-11-2013 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Now, now, Brain here has a legitimate question. RPG could use a sequel, or at least more incentive for people to make holds for it (since either the market is too small or the architects too few), so I too am curious about what Caravel's plans are for the series.

Note that I am asking what the *plans* are, not *demanding* to have another game. There is a difference, Neatherman.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 02-11-2013 10:57 PM]
02-11-2013 at 10:57 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
Neather man wrote:
In reality, I have played all the user-made holds, except for the SMS's because I don't have money for them. I'm stuck on Uncturage in TCB Demo. I beat all other DROD demos though.

If you are stuck on the Uncturage than you have most certainly not played through the good quality user-made holds. I've finished TCB and have done nearly all of the secrets, but I haven't got anywhere near the brains to take on a larrymurk or boyblue hold, for example.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 02-12-2013 06:41 PM]
02-12-2013 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Neather man wrote:
When is the next DROD RPG? It appears you are sailing from GatEB to TSS, with no RPG game in between.
Yeah, Tendry's Tale is great! The year after DROD RPG was released, we started work on a sequel. We got a few neat levels built and added some new scripting capabilities to the engine to enhance the RPG experience, but our primary level designer left at that point and that's as far as we got. I agree that it would be nice for DROD RPG to receive some TLC, but for now, Caravel is going full steam ahead for TSS.

Meanwhile, we'll have to content ourselves with deep questions like "How come stalwarts never ask for directions, while Tendry does so at the first opportunity?"

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-12-2013 at 06:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: A quick question to Caravel (+1)  
Evidently, Tendry's humble and cowardly roots mean he has much to teach his fellows about the distinction between bravado and foolhardiness, not to mention meter.

02-12-2013 at 08:16 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Nuntar wrote:
No need for the snark.
I'm pretty sure snark is appropriate here, when we're talking about being bored with the demos and essentially asking for more free demos (since he has no money).

Seriously though Brainiac, you say you've "played" all the user-made holds, but did you beat any of them? There's nearly a lifetime of material out there. I rated a large number of the "easy" holds and would be happy to share the ones I enjoyed.

02-12-2013 at 01:13 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
Well, I was going to say that I have the full versions of TT, GatEB and JtRH and still feel something of the same frustration -- it's tricky to find good quality holds that are pitched at the right level for me. (But then, I thought I should have another look at the ones I'm currently stuck on... and I just noticed that last time I ragequit at a really nasty room in Advanced Concepts, I overlooked the fact that I can return to the hub and try a different level. So, I think I'll be lost in the game for the next few hours....)

02-12-2013 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather man
I have played them but I admit I have not finished all. It appears nowadays quality is measured in difficulty instead of entertainment value.
02-16-2013 at 12:44 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
icon Re: A quick question to Caravel (+1)  
Many of the holds that have higher ratings are the ones that are tricky because it makes the player think. People don't enjoy playing boring and repetitive holds, and those holds are almost definately the easy ones. Holds that make you use your grey cells are the ones that people will remember. The ones that people describe as 'evil', meaning 'Einstein would a hard time doing this', are the holds that define puzzle gaming. If you can't do the holds in question, perservere with the official holds, and look at some of the tutorials (Advanced Concepts mainly).

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 02-17-2013 07:42 AM]
02-16-2013 at 01:05 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'm with Nuntar on this one - the responses so far are really quite aggressive but glad mrimer clarified things.

Seriously though - it's a forum so any question is valid.

02-17-2013 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A quick question to Caravel
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No