Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Jelly no Puzzle (Qrostar's new game)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon Jelly no Puzzle (+4)  
You might remember the great Hanano Puzzle by the Japanese game developer Qrostar. There is a thread about it on this forum.

The author is now developing a new puzzle game that looks familiar to those who remember Hanano, but this new game has different mechanics. It's currently in beta and there is only a Japanese language version. However, I think you can figure it out without being able to read any of the texts. Just remember how Hanano worked.

At least in the current version, there are only two things you can do and they are controlled by the left and right mouse buttons. I think the appropriate difficulty rating is 8 brains out of 10, and for fun it is 9 out of ten. I base this estimate on solving the twenty levels in the beta version. I heartily recommend this game.

There is only a Windows version.

http://qrostar.skr.jp/index.cgi?page=jelly&lang=en

List of released versions

January 2013: Version 0.700 with 20 levels.
February 2013: Version 0.950 with 40 levels and English translation.
February 2013: Versions 0.990 to 0.993 with minor changes, but no new levels.
March 2013: Version 1.000. The game is complete.

All versions after 0.950 has the same levels, so you don't necessarily have to upgrade. You should be able to copy the save directory from an earlier version to a later one if you do upgrade.

Extras

Below is a link to three extra levels Qrostar rejected from the game itself for not being of good enough quality. They are quite challenging, though.

To play them, you have to move the files from the zip file into the data directory and replace some of the official levels. Make a backup of the original levels first.

http://qrostar.skr.jp/data/jellyextra.zip

Thanks to brian_s for pointing out the extra levels.

[Last edited by Pekka at 03-04-2013 06:42 PM : latest update]
01-07-2013 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Jelly no Puzzle (0)  
I'll second the recommendation - this is just as good of a puzzler as Hana No Puzzle. Additionally, although the mechanics aren't quite the same, I think experience in that game should help with solving puzzles in this one.

There's a new mechanic introduced on level 7 that, again, should be fairly obvious to figure out without needing to read Japanese.

I'm currently working on level 10, and it's hard! These puzzles certainly are challenging, but still really satisfying to figure out.

01-07-2013 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
The diary on the site tells us the author is working on the English translation and is trying to think of a good English name for the game. You could use the contact form in the diary if you can think of a really good idea for the name. EDIT: The author even asks for suggestions, unlike what I wrote here earlier.

Also, the screenshots in the diary suggest there are more levels coming for the game, and perhaps a different look for the blocks. I will keep track of the major releases at least up to version 1.0 in the first post. Please let me know if I miss a new release.

EDIT 2: The author seems to have settled with keeping the game's current name.

[Last edited by Pekka at 02-02-2013 05:48 PM : update on naming]
01-08-2013 at 03:13 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
Anyone beat all 20 levels yet? I'm stuck on level 17 right now, and have been for the last week.
01-25-2013 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I've deleted the game after getting stuck on an unsolvable level, somewhere around 5th or so.

01-25-2013 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
brian_s wrote:
Anyone beat all 20 levels yet? I'm stuck on level 17 right now, and have been for the last week.
That was a good one. One small hint:

Click here to view the secret text

01-25-2013 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
skell wrote:
I've deleted the game after getting stuck on an unsolvable level, somewhere around 5th or so.
I also got stuck on this level. Incidentally, it's level 4. Any hints?

[Last edited by Someone Else at 01-25-2013 08:45 PM]
01-25-2013 at 08:00 PM
Chaco
Yeah, level 4 is tough. It took me quite a while to figure out how to do it.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're having trouble getting all the blue blocks into one mass.

As you've probably already discovered through experimentation, one of the main problems is that the 2x1 tall red block is in the way. You don't want that block to get stuck in either of the holes it's next to, because that would make it impossible to get the blue blocks together with your remaining resources.

--

I recommend you work hard and try to solve levels 5 through 7 without hints - they teach some important tactics you'll need to internalize for later levels.

01-26-2013 at 01:33 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I got stuck in that room wchich looked like a deep plate, with two jellies of one color on the left, and teo jellies of the other colr on the riht, and twomjellies hanging from the ceiling, or so.

01-26-2013 at 08:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Yup, that's level 8 and it's pretty tough.

Let me know if you'd like a hint.

01-27-2013 at 02:17 AM
Doom
icon Re: Jelly no Puzzle (+1)  
Version 0.950 is now released featuring English and new levels, starting with a new game element in L21.

edit: Apparently you get access to the next three unconquered levels, so it takes a bit longer until you're completely stuck.

[Last edited by Doom at 02-02-2013 02:29 AM]
02-01-2013 at 01:48 PM
Pekka
Doom, did you have any trouble with advancing from level 19 to 20? I started the new version from a fresh install with no old saves, and after solving level 19 it moved me to level 2 again. I couldn't choose level 20 from the level selection menu afterwards either, so I got stuck there.

(Of course, I could peek at the new levels by messing with the data directory, so I too saw the new element. But that's not how the game is intended to be played, is it? :))

I wrote a bug report in the diary, so the author will be aware of the problem shortly. I'll hold updating the first message until I read in the diary about the bug report, and hopefully learn whether it was just a problem on my computer or something that happens to others.
02-02-2013 at 05:47 PM
Doom
I copied my old save and had 21 open. Could try replaying from a clean install to see if the same thing happens.

Edit: Replayed the first 20 levels and everything unlocked properly. Interestingly the three-level sneak peek doesn't let you skip 20 until you've done the first half completely. After 21 you get access to next three levels again.

Pekka wrote: I started the new version from a fresh install with no old saves, and after solving level 19 it moved me to level 2 again. I couldn't choose level 20 from the level selection menu afterwards
You probably skipped level 2 without realising it. Remember, levels 2-4 unlock at the same time now, and the next level arrow is visible in the corner as long as the next level is available. It's required that you clear all of 1-19 before 20 opens.

[Last edited by Doom at 02-02-2013 08:17 PM : clarified some things after testing]
02-02-2013 at 05:54 PM
Pekka
Doom wrote:
You probably skipped level 2 without realising it. Remember, levels 2-4 unlock at the same time now, and the next level arrow is visible in the corner as long as the next level is available. It's required that you clear all of 1-19 before 20 opens.

Yes, I managed to do exactly that. I thought I had solved it while going in the numerical order, but it didn't have the little circle after all. I had to look more carefully at the screen than I did, that's all.

All is clear now & the game works just fine.
02-03-2013 at 07:21 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Level 17 made me so mad... I did manage to solve it without a sneak at Doom's hint though.

I'll add my voice to all the recommendations, the game definitely lives up to hannano puzzle.

EDIT: But where are the happy dancing guys!?

2ndEDIT: Oh. It's dancing stars now. Nice!

[Last edited by Rheb at 02-04-2013 07:32 PM]
02-03-2013 at 10:57 PM
brian_s
I like the new option having up to three unsolved levels open. That let me solve levels 18 and 19 but I am still stuck on level 17. So far the only way I have been able to get all four of the upper jellies in the 'elevator' block is a 1x2 green on top and a 1x2 blue on the bottom, but that arrangement does not seem to work on the lower portion. What could I be doing wrong?
02-03-2013 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
brian_s wrote: What could I be doing wrong?

[Last edited by TripleM at 02-04-2013 12:05 AM]
02-04-2013 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Level 17 was quite nice! It all is.
02-04-2013 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
All done! Very nice experience overall.
02-08-2013 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Is 22 possible? I can see any means of getting the blue block to the left.

02-10-2013 at 09:37 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Jacob wrote:
Is 22 possible?
Every level is clearly impossible. (Until it isn't :))

Here's an attempt at a small hint:

02-10-2013 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Oh yeah, that's not so hard. Thanks.

02-10-2013 at 10:34 PM
Pekka
New version has come out. There are no major changes. According to Qrostar: "There would be no need to download if you already have ver.0.950."

But I noted this version in the first post for completeness's sake anyway...

EDIT: According to the diary, there was some sort of problem with the volume bar in 0.990. There's version 0.991 on the site now that you might want to download if you upgraded to 0.990 recently.

[Last edited by Pekka at 02-21-2013 07:33 PM : small update from the diary]
02-19-2013 at 07:07 PM
brian_s
If you check out the diary, Qrostar has released three levels he rejected for being too hard. I can't solve them but maybe the brainpower of my fellow DROD forumites can.
02-24-2013 at 07:32 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Could we have a link to that. I had trouble finding it.

02-24-2013 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rheb
Here's the download link: http://qrostar.skr.jp/data/jellyextra.zip

The author does not recommend these levels though as he believes they are to messy and over complicated to be enjoyed as puzzles.

02-24-2013 at 09:02 PM
lizz1e
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Help! my kid got me hooked on this game, and I've managed to make it to level 14. Except! My brain is bleeding because I skipped #10 & I keep returning like a jilted @%!( Stubborn.can't get past tossing green cube around or stalling out the long black jelly. I can connect one or the other cube. not both.
03-01-2013 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
And COMPLETED! Wow, a truly great game. Any lover of puzzles should play qrostar's games.

A hint for level 10:

03-01-2013 at 05:38 PM
lizz1e
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
i have looked at this thing (level #10)until i'm cross-eyed. then i started flinging jellies wildly about. As much as can be done with 4 jellies & a mouse pointer...i've slept on/with it...and Thank You, Rheb. You sometimes just have to stop LOOKing at the thing, step back and let the brain-cells realign.
03-01-2013 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pekka
icon Re: Jelly no Puzzle (+2)  
Version 1.000 came out. I updated the first post. There's also the link to the three extra levels there, so you'll find them easily if you want to try them out later. (I haven't done that yet myself.)

If there are any important news about the game later, you should post them to this thread or start a new one. If I spot them, I'll do that too, but I won't be keeping such a keen eye on Qrostar's diary from now on. Well, not every day at least, since it looks like the game is now complete and the newest version could very well be final.

There was some talk on the diary about a possible version of the game for IPhones (or was it Android) and Qrostar thought it could be possible, but wasn't in general sure about future directions. I'm hoping a new puzzle game with yet another clever mechanic appears in a year or a few, but we'll see.

By the way, I am not 100% certain the the newest version has exactly the same levels as the previous ones. But since there was no mention of major changes in the diary, I'll assume for now it has the same 40 great levels and no hidden Easter eggs and such...

This game has such elegant mechanics and the levels are carefully designed. I just had to say that once more.

[Last edited by Pekka at 03-04-2013 07:05 PM : phrasing]
03-04-2013 at 07:05 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Jelly no Puzzle (Qrostar's new game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com