Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Duncan the Graveyard Guard : Lair of the Carrion Beetles : 2 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
IP: Logged
icon Duncan the Graveyard Guard : Lair of the Carrion Beetles : 2 West (0)  
Been trying random combinations for the first part of this room and haven't struck on the magic pattern.
(It seems diagonal movement is best for keeping beetles from coming through the gaps. But that's as far as I've been able to go.)

EDIT: H&S effect. After the power token, I went
Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-31-2012 05:22 AM]
12-31-2012 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Duncan the Graveyard Guard : Lair of the Carrion Beetles : 2 West (0)  
And then? What makes this hold infuriatingly evil is that not only you get a new enemy, that is convoluted to kill, but also, it's brained, which makes it follow you everywhere.

EDIT: I forgot about a proper pointing of the sword

But I still have problem with the second part

[Last edited by Illusionist at 07-30-2021 05:11 PM]
07-30-2021 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Duncan the Graveyard Guard : Lair of the Carrion Beetles : 2 West (+1)  
It's not brained, because scripted monsters can't use brained movement. It just has a very weird movement pattern. I'm not even sure how exactly it works. You can get it stuck, though, and in fact the pattern above gets all four in the upper-left stuck even though only one is directly blocked.

Proceeding from there is actually much easier than you might guess.

07-30-2021 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Duncan the Graveyard Guard : Lair of the Carrion Beetles : 2 West (0)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
It's not brained, because scripted monsters can't use brained movement. It just has a very weird movement pattern. I'm not even sure how exactly it works. You can get it stuck, though, and in fact the pattern above gets all four in the upper-left stuck even though only one is directly blocked.

Didn't know about that :-O

Thanks for the spoiler even if I figured it out by myself through trial & error. Currently trying to figure out how to kill the monsters in the circle

EDIT: And did it. Required some

What a tough hold, I'm kinda sweating right now

EDIT EDIT: I will argue that the monsters moved like a brained cockroaches, so even if they weren't really brained, they did move that way

[Last edited by Illusionist at 07-31-2021 04:28 PM]
07-30-2021 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Duncan the Graveyard Guard : Lair of the Carrion Beetles : 2 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com