Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Minecraft (is awesome)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gage
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Minecraft (+1)  
Watch out for monsters. Go ahead and try it today! It is fun for DROD players because of the action in it, and it is an RPG like DROD RPG! It runs on actual time though.

[Last edited by gage at 11-01-2012 07:46 PM]
11-01-2012 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Minecraft (+1)  
It's not an RPG, and uh, many DROD players aren't action gamers since DROD is a very contemplative game. I'm not saying Minecraft isn't fun - it didn't hook me the brief time I tried it, but I might try again if the price goes down - but your endorsement is unconvincing.

11-01-2012 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Minecraft (+2)  
Minecraft really is fun and unique, and I can see it appealing to DROD players.

If you don't like action, you can set the mode to "Peaceful". Then no monsters will attack you and all of your activities will be more or less twitch free.

An argument could be made that it is an RPG because of the way you can upgrade yourself by crafting. E.g. You find some iron ore, smelt it, and build an iron pickaxe, which can pick through things faster and is needed to pick through harder materials. But there are no quests or personal attributes.

The game is really about exploring and building things. Because the world is so interesting, this is enough to make you want to play. The world is randomly generated with mountains, water, caves, deserts, and swamps. Usually, randomly generated means boring, but the algorithms used are so great at coming up with interesting features, that it is hard to say a human-designed world would be better.

An example of a fun thing to do--build a roller coaster that climbs to the top of a mountain and then runs through a bunch of tunnels.

If anyone is playing on XBox 360 and wants to do some peaceful building in a shared world, let me know, and I can leave my world up running at different times.

11-03-2012 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Minecraft (+1)  
There's something delightfully surreal about Erik rising from the depths to teach us about Minecraft.
11-04-2012 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Minecraft (0)  
Yeah, and it is kind of a pointless explanation. I would guess that just about everybody reading this already knows what Minecraft is. And it isn't an indie game that particularly needs any cheerleading for it anymore. I don't care. I just like Minecraft.

-Erik

11-06-2012 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Erik, I'm not even trying to be insulting or sarcastic, to be perfectly honest. It was just some strange, dreamlike thing to read that kinda put this dumb smile on my face.

11-06-2012 at 09:42 AM
gage
ErikH2000 wrote: If anyone is playing on XBox 360 and wants to do some peaceful building in a shared world, let me know, and I can leave my world up running at different times.
I would like to do peaceful building.
11-06-2012 at 08:17 PM
ErikH2000
gage wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote: If anyone is playing on XBox 360 and wants to do some peaceful building in a shared world, let me know, and I can leave my world up running at different times.
I would like to do peaceful building.
What is your XBox player name? You can email it to me if you want to keep it private.

I have not set it up before, but my understanding is that I can start the world on my XBox with options that allow my XBox friends to join. If I'm right, then I'll just leave the XBox running with Minecraft up and you can join the world and build in it. I will turn off Player vs Player and set the mode to "Peaceful" (no monsters).

Sound good?

11-08-2012 at 10:28 PM
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
Erik, I'm not even trying to be insulting or sarcastic, to be perfectly honest. It was just some strange, dreamlike thing to read that kinda put this dumb smile on my face.
No worries!

11-08-2012 at 10:30 PM
gage
YawningSeeker07 is the name.
11-11-2012 at 06:16 PM
ErikH2000
gage wrote:
YawningSeeker07 is the name.
Okay, I added you as a friend. I will leave Minecraft up and hosting. See if you can join my world, named "1".

-Erik

11-12-2012 at 05:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Minecraft (is awesome)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com