Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Spider Question
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon Spider Question (0)  
Does the spider check only the current room, for brevity sake? If so, it would miss special cases where it is not possible to enter a room from the location at which a demo begins. It may also miss scripted bits which rely on variables set in advance, if those variables are in an impossible state.

It would be useful if there were a "request thorough check" option. In any case, I'm asking one for King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon : Lowest Floor : Entrance. I can't see how you could leave the room unfinished since the character destroys all tarstuff before you are able to leave your cell, unless there's another entrance...but the low scores are around the same time as the high ones so I'm not sure what to think.

Please don't tell me the answer, just whether those scores are possible. (This is why I haven't viewed the demos.)

Also, for those who care: I'm going to be scarce until mid-December. I have two courses I'm pioneering and I'm rushing to get my degree at the same time. My hold debut(s) will need to wait until 2013, regrettably.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

09-03-2012 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Spider Question (0)  
Trickster wrote:
Does the spider check only the current room, for brevity sake?
My understanding--and someone who knows better should certainly correct me if I'm wrong--is that it's not just for brevity's sake, but rather that there's no way for the spider to know whether it's possible to have entered the room from one entrance vs. another. When you think about scripting, different staircases, and so forth, it's clear that the spider can run through the moves of a room, but can't possibly run through an entire hold to decide which room entrances should be accessible.

In any case, I'm asking one for King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon : Lowest Floor : Entrance. ... Please don't tell me the answer, just whether those scores are possible. (This is why I haven't viewed the demos.)
The demos won't really tell you much--I haven't viewed them either, but I can pretty much guarantee that there's nothing in them except people entering from different places. (Looking at the room just now, it's clear that the scripting is such that it requires 115 moves.)

If you read through the hold's Holds Board thread (which is, fair warning, a little painful), you'll see that this hold was updated repeatedly, in some cases because the scripting was broken. It wouldn't surprise me if the 47-move solutions to this room are from a time that the room worked differently, or from a beta version of the hold, or something like that. Which is frustrating, but certainly hard to fix via automation. (And what can you do? Remove wallu's score for the room entirely, six years later?)
09-04-2012 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: Spider Question (0)  
Thanks for the quick response. This is pretty much what I had imagined the case would be.
Tahnan wrote:
(And what can you do? Remove wallu's score for the room entirely, six years later?)
YES. Preferably with maniacal laughter in the background.

But seriously: if those scores are false, they should be removed, no matter how historical (or hysterical) they may be.

If they're not false, I'll be spending some time to discover the solution. When I have time again, which won't be for four months. :/

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 09-04-2012 02:33 AM]
09-04-2012 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Spider Question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com