Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Am I the only one who does this? (Wonder aloud about your strange drod related habits.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged
icon Am I the only one who does this? (0)  
I wonder if I'm the only one who looks at the H&S threads for hard rooms after I solve them, for my own amusement. I doubt I'm the only one.

Feel free to wonder about your own habits, such as worrying that when you start a thread, it isn't the only one of its kind.

07-19-2012 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Am I the only one who does this? (0)  
You are not the only one. Smugness is a wonderful trait :P
07-19-2012 at 06:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
I started looking at H&S forum in general, but just to offer assistance in the rare case someone asks a question on an older hold. I rarely am up-to-date with which holds are currently out (particularly since I cannot order them that way in HM).

I don't use H&S myself, but I don't think it's overly-smug to do something like that. I just assume if a room was hard as hell for me, that it was hard for most everyone else too, though, so I never thought to look for that reason.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-19-2012 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I use the gauge of (how many H+S topics have been created)/(How many people have played the hold) to see how difficult it is.

I wish that man would stay away
07-19-2012 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Rank Points: 376
I'll check for H&S threads after solving a room for rooms I found particularly interesting. Hard is just one type of interesting.
07-19-2012 at 12:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
The spitemaster wrote:
I use the gauge of (how many H+S topics have been created)/(How many people have played the hold) to see how difficult it is.
Uh, this is flawed. A bigger hold of the same difficulty as a smaller hold will have more threads.

07-19-2012 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Rank Points: 376
It's not wholly flawed (although I wouldn't particularly use that metric).

Imagine two holds with the same brain difficulty... one has 30 threads, the other has 3, and the key difference is that the first one is also an order of magnitude larger. It could be said that the first hold is actually harder than the second... not in expected brain power required for the puzzles on average, but because it gets 30 chances to trip you up, whereas the second one only gets three. The first hold is simply more likely to stump a player because it gets more chances to find exactly the right set of conditions to get them. Even though the difficulty of the puzzles independently might be the same, the longer gauntlet will be the harder test.

That said, it most certainly isn't an independent factor that should scale linearly with size. Puzzles in a hold are often grouped into themes, so it typically isn't the case that the first hold really gets 30 chances... a good number of those rooms likely require similar skills, so the number of true tests is probably much smaller.

That said, I have used the H&S board to find holds to play. My method is more along the lines of seeing which holds have threads going, and look at some of them. Since the room is in H&S, I can assume that it's probably an example of an interesting room in the hold... the question in OP can help confirm that (ie is the person talking about problems with juggling different elements to get the job done, or are they just having trouble with something more basic like wraithwing movement). But the real test is in checking the room itself via the link in the subject line... does this look like a room I really want to be playing right now?
07-19-2012 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
The spitemaster wrote:
How on Equestria do you calculate the first number without scanning through dozens of posts?

(Well, okay, you can order by name and assume that it will start with the hold name and do a binary search, but it's still a pain.)

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-19-2012 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Trickster wrote:
(Well, okay, you can order by name and assume that it will start with the hold name and do a binary search, but it's still a pain.)
Simple search by hold name in HnS boards should suffice :).

07-20-2012 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Am I the only one who does this? (Wonder aloud about your strange drod related habits.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com