Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Shy and (now) retiring
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged
icon Shy and (now) retiring (+5)  
In this thread here I said
" ... I bought a cottage on the island of Raasay and . . . it's a very long story actually and I meant to make a thread about it here, but didn't get round to it (sigh). Maybe I will make a thread at some point, retrospectively, and it will also make clear why my attendance in this forum has been sporadic of late." - and I never did explain further.

Well, partly because I have put something of the whole sorry saga on my writing site recently and partly because I've been feeling a bit guilty about my absence from here of late, I offer you this. I'll secret it for length and if you start reading and discover that half way through you have lost the will to live and want to stop reading I won't be offended!

Click here to view the secret text

My apologies for that being so long (believe it or not this is a shortened version! ) but it was either offer that or nothing. At least once I am settled into retirement I should have more time - particularly in the winter - for DRODing. :)

06-24-2012 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Shy and (now) retiring (+1)  
06-24-2012 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I work in trades and that horror story is about just as bad as they come, and I sympathize with you there.

But, since I live in Calgary Alberta, I have to inform you that "Cowboys" is an awesome thing to be not a negative.

And welcome back.

I wish that man would stay away
06-25-2012 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I hear the best way to reduce stress is a nice session of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder!

We love you Elf, may you survive all these temporal woes..
06-25-2012 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I'm glad you're back, at least for long enough to let us know what you've been up to, though I'm sad about the contents of that announcement. I know this will ring as hollow coming from someone else who's hardly ever here and who lives across a large body of water, but if there's anything I can do, just let me know.

06-25-2012 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I am completely okay with more Elfstone around here.
06-25-2012 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
icon Re: Shy and (now) retiring (+3)  
Well, tomorrow is the day! It has been a decidedly surreal week. I have felt exhausted, as we all do by this stage of this term, but I have also had euphoric moments. I have been teaching my classes as usual and it all seems quite normal - as though I would be back next session - and then I look around my gradually emptying classroom and things shift to a totally different perspective. People have been popping in with gifts and cards and several times I felt tears welling up and then I have to mop myself up and go back to teaching a class - very strange.

All my plants have now been moved back home and many of the shelves and cupboards are empty. Tomorrow all my many, many pictures and the posters from all the shows and concerts I've given come down (my walls are covered in them). I deliberately left that until tomorrow morning because the room will look dreadfully bare without them.

My speech is written and takes around 8 minutes - too long? too short? I don't know - and one of my problems writing it was that it dawned on me that I have no idea what will be said in the speeches about me (2 of them I think). The cakes for the staff are made and the chocolate fudge stuff for a friend and colleague who is on a gluten free diet. It's all done, all ready, and I feel strangely flat. Heaven only knows what I will feel like in 24 hours.

06-28-2012 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
icon Re: Shy and (now) retiring (+3)  
It's done ....

It's been a day of hugs and tears. :~( What knocked me sideways was seeing some of my pupils taking all the concert posters and pictures off my classroom walls. In a way it was 26 years of my life being torn down and it was very upsetting. The room looked awful afterwards - think what it's like when you take down the Christmas decorations (that bare, cold look that lasts maybe a day) - and multiply that by many orders of magnitude. I knew that might be difficult, but wasn't really prepared for the way it affected me. :weep

The speech went well - I had composed myself by then - and seemed to be well received and the cakes all disappeared. Now I am dull and deflated, desperately tired but not sleepy, hungry but can't eat. Hey ho - I've survived - does that count for anything?

PS I'm heading over to Raasay this weekend and I have no internet there so I will be incommunicado for a while,

06-29-2012 at 07:57 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Shy and (now) retiring (0)  
Elfstone, I can only imagine how large a change this is. It does sound very sad. I wouldn't be afraid of feeling sad, though -- it sounds quite natural, and only highlights how fulfilling teaching must have been for you. And thinking about that makes me happy for you. Good luck in the future, and if you can be around here on the forum, we'll all be happy for that, too.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-29-2012 10:05 PM]
06-29-2012 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Apologies for bumping this thread but I'm just back from Raasay and here's another quick update on the problems outlined in the first post. The repair/remedial work is, at long, long last, complete! It was finished last Monday afternoon to my huge relief. I had to spend all day Tuesday cleaning the cottage - you can imagine with brick dust and plaster dust, workmen in and out over the previous month and walls being broken into upstairs and down, the whole place was very dirty.

If you have read the whole of that first post, you will not be surprised to learn that more problems arose. When the wall was opened up into the flue, it was discovered that the flue that *@^%*^!* (bad man!) had put in last year was cobbled together, with duct tape, from 20-30 year-old bits of different flues! At the lower end, where the pipe from the back of the Rayburn disappears into the wall, the pipe was not connected properly to the flue, so gases from the boiler would have escaped up into my bedroom. Alasdair said that if I had kept the central heating on over night with my bedroom window shut, the chances are I would have died from carbon monoxide poisoning! :w00t Add to that the repairs have cost me £6000 and you will understand I think that I have been up and down and all over the place this past week - delighted that everything is now safe and working, but riled beyond measure at the situation I have been placed in. :angry

I am sufficiently angry that I think I will go back to the solicitor and see what can be done. I will certainly send a strongly worded letter to Aga - who are still, would you believe it, recommending that cowboy to other unsuspecting customers!!

Here are some pics to let you see what I'm talking about:

the work in progress

and completed

I have to say that the warmth that emanates from the Rayburn is wonderful - and it seems to heat the entire ground floor, without the central heating part of it switched on. I have done no real cooking on it yet - I came down with a bad cold last Wednesday and wasn't up to cooking anything anywhere. When I go back to Raasay, in a fortnight or so, I will get out the recipe books. :)

10-08-2012 at 11:01 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I think the first word that popped into my head when looking at the pictures was "quaint". A very nice little place you're putting together there.

10-08-2012 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
I am sufficiently angry that I think I will go back to the solicitor and see what can be done. I will certainly send a strongly worded letter to Aga - who are still, would you believe it, recommending that cowboy to other unsuspecting customers!!
Gah. Why is there still no requirement that such "craftsmen" sleep a night next to the work they produce before letting it loose at unsuspecting folks that paid them for their work? :(

I'm just glad you dodged that one - and I hope you get back every last pound (and then some) that you paid that guy...

10-10-2012 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
icon Re: Shy and (now) retiring (0)  
My thanks to both of you. :)
I think the first word that popped into my head when looking at the pictures was "quaint".
"Quaint"?!?!? :D (love it!)

A very nice little place you're putting together there.
thanks - I think so. :yes

and I hope you get back every last pound (and then some) that you paid that guy...
oh I would like to think so, but it will be difficult. :? :weep

10-10-2012 at 09:19 PM
Elfstone
icon Re: Shy and (now) retiring (+4)  
.. and I'm back.

The Rayburn is wonderful - the kitchen so snug and ideal for working in - either at writing (up to 70,000 words now!), or weaving, or indeed having coffee and blether with my neighbours, who pop in at random and are very friendly. The only thing I can't do of course is play DROD there :weep (but that will come too in the fullness of time).

At the risk of boring you here are another couple of pics.

Winter arrived while I was there and although we didn't have snow lying at sea-level it was very cold (outside). Mind you coming back from a bracing (!!) walk to a Rayburn-heated kitchen is just great!

and one afternoon, out walking by the shore, I caught another lovely winter sunset -

(I design and print my own calendar each year, for friends and family, and I think that one might go into next year's one. :) )

[Last edited by Elfstone at 06-09-2013 05:02 PM]
12-06-2012 at 05:44 PM
Elfstone
icon Re: Shy and (now) retiring (+2)  
Been back in Raasay for a fortnight and the Archaeology group had it's first outing of the season. Our intention is to help with the conservation and preservation of what is there and help with more up-to-date mapping (using GPS). We visited 3 locations (out of the 488 [!!] listed on the RCAHMS website - did I mention that this is an amazing island?! :) ) to work out what is needed to be done to tidy them up and keep them accessible to the public.

This was the view from close to one of the sites (a souterrain), out over Clachan Bay and over to Ben Tiannavaig on Skye:

This is one of the pics I took of a Dolmen - probably around 5-6,000 years old.
What this pic doesn't do, unfortunately, is give a sense of scale; that stone on top must weigh a monstrous amount. Quite amazing!

[Last edited by Elfstone at 06-09-2013 05:02 PM]
04-12-2013 at 11:29 AM
Elfstone
icon Re: Shy and (now) retiring (+5)  
Bump! (in the hope that you are not all tired of Raasay) I took these a couple of days ago.

You may remember the dreadful experiecne I had with the installation of a fireplace and Rayburn a couple of years ago (is it really that long? like a fading nightmare!) if not you can have a quick read of the first post. Well one of the little nasty things that the cowboy workmen did was to dig up a beautiful (reputedly) 20 year old azalea. I replanted it at the time but it had been mishandled and out of the ground for a couple of days so I wasn't sure if it would survive. To my great relief it did and last year produced some flowers. This year it is stunning! -

Close up of some flowers -

What that doesn't do is give you the perfume. It has been warm this week and the scent in the evenings has been amazing. I would just stand beside the plant and breath deeply for ages.

And at the risk of boring you and just because they are truly magnificent, another glorious sunset:

:)

[Last edited by Elfstone at 06-09-2013 05:03 PM]
06-06-2013 at 10:48 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Shy and (now) retiring
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com