Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : No thoroughfare (Because practical restrictions are good, but creative ones are even better.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged

File: No thouroughfare EXAMPLE.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
icon No thoroughfare (0)  
How to:

•Create a simple but effective and creative way to restrict the player's movements in a room.
•Adapt the idea you come up with in different rooms in order to have as many variants as possibile. (Example: You can't move left, you can't move right, down, diagonally, etc. Note that you have to use the same concept for all.)
•Build a hold in which you show your creativeness (It's up to you, it doesn't matter if it is a cutscene, a real puzzle old, or a showcase with scrolls or NPCs.)

I have attached a gaunt example hold, in case you didn't understand the contest goal.

You can submit your entry in this topic until July 1st.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
06-11-2012 at 10:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: No thoroughfare (+1)  
If there will be at least 4 Entries, I will donate:

50 mod points for 1st place
25 mod points for 2nd
15 mod points for 3rd

Now go!

06-11-2012 at 11:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
I'm no architect, so I won't be entering... But I find the description confusing. Presumably the examples on the second line should really be on the first, as they are examples of restrictions rather than variants, and you choose for instance "can't move down" and have to use that for the whole hold.

I don't think the example hold doesn't really work well as an example either... It has several restrictions, all in the same room... I'm guessing this is to try to show how a restriction based on movement direction could work, but.... They work by mimics smashing mirrors on pressure plates, which only works as long as you don't turn, but no-turning wasn't part of any of the restrictions?

I also don't really see how a restriction could be demonstrated unless you are unable to move to "test" the restriction mechanism...

06-11-2012 at 01:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
icon Re: No thoroughfare (0)  
Moo wrote:
I'm no architect, so I won't be entering... But I find the description confusing. Presumably the examples on the second line should really be on the first, as they are examples of restrictions rather than variants, and you choose for instance "can't move down" and have to use that for the whole hold.

I don't think the example hold doesn't really work well as an example either... It has several restrictions, all in the same room... I'm guessing this is to try to show how a restriction based on movement direction could work, but.... They work by mimics smashing mirrors on pressure plates, which only works as long as you don't turn, but no-turning wasn't part of any of the restrictions?

I also don't really see how a restriction could be demonstrated unless you are unable to move to "test" the restriction mechanism...

Thank you for your reply.
Yeah, that was just showing a general concept. The goal of the contest is to come up with a general idea of restriction, that you can change in order to come up with several other ones. I mean, you *have to* build as many restrictions as possible, as shown in the example (I am aware of the fact that the first one is broken as soon as you turn your sword, but the other ones are ok since there are orbs nearby.)
I know this can be confusing, so I'll give a written example:

1) A mirror placed on the top of a plessure plate that closes an exit door can't be moved.
2) Problem: A mimic is near that mirror, and is going to push it if Beethro does a movement.
3) Eureka! Put an arrow, a ortogonal square, a monster, so as to the mirror won't move even though the mimic pushes it. Then change the position of those elements, in order to let the player do some movements *but not* others.
4) Then you can create a puzzle hold, a showcase, or anything you want with all those ideas.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 06-11-2012 01:32 PM]
06-11-2012 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
I'm trying to get a feel for what you are looking for in this contest. Some of my previously published holds do include restrictions of some sort:

Directions of the Compass 1 and 2: In these holds, each of 8 rooms has a requirement to hold your sword in a specific direction, but a different direction for each room.

The Clockwise level of Uncle Mike's New Place: In this level each of 8 rooms allows player movement in three of eight directions, but a different set of directions for each room.

Would these levels/holds be the sort of thing you seek for your contest?
06-11-2012 at 06:21 PM
Neather2
brian_s wrote:
I'm trying to get a feel for what you are looking for in this contest. Some of my previously published holds do include restrictions of some sort:

Directions of the Compass 1 and 2: In these holds, each of 8 rooms has a requirement to hold your sword in a specific direction, but a different direction for each room.

The Clockwise level of Uncle Mike's New Place: In this level each of 8 rooms allows player movement in three of eight directions, but a different set of directions for each room.

Would these levels/holds be the sort of thing you seek for your contest?

Exactly. The point is to come up with the most creative way to restrict a player's movement, and use that idea neatly to build up as many variants as possible, like you did in your holds.

06-11-2012 at 06:36 PM
Shendy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 132
Can we use scripting here?
06-13-2012 at 09:45 AM
Neather2
As long as it's creative, you can use whatever you want.

06-13-2012 at 10:38 AM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
Great, now there are THREE contests I have to enter with roughly the same deadline. Sheesh. :P

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

06-19-2012 at 05:20 AM
Trickster
I have an entry I've spent an unusually large amount of time on that I'm ready to submit. I hope I'll not be the only entrant, though. I guess I could just publish it as a hold if nobody else enters the contest, but it's a bit more gimmicky than what I usually like to do in architecture.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

06-28-2012 at 08:49 PM
Trickster

File: Roundabouts.hold (7.6 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: No thoroughfare (+2)  
Here is my entry.

If nobody else submits an entry, maybe I'll just submit it as a hold (so be warned if you'd rather wait and play it then). I'm not in love with this as a hold, but it's interesting enough that it should probably survive. I don't think I'll fuss over it any more than I have already, though. It has enough rooms to showcase several different uses of the gimmick.

For the record, this may not be a new idea, but it was new to me at least. :)

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

06-28-2012 at 10:05 PM
Neather2
This is an astonishing and interesting entry, Trickster. I'm really amazed.
I think nobody else's going to try the contest, though. :?

06-30-2012 at 09:47 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : No thoroughfare (Because practical restrictions are good, but creative ones are even better.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com