Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Monthly High Scores (New high scores tab)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged
icon Monthly High Scores (+4)  
There's been some complaining that the "players" ranking system is pretty hard to get into because of the extreme number of high scores the top 20 has collected. The fact that many in the top 20 have earned their spot by playing lots of DROD years ago, but are more or less inactive now also makes the high scores somewhat less interesting to follow.

I suggest a tab showing the scores players have accumulated during the current month. This would make it possible for any DROD player to compete for the top high scores. (You would actually have a slight advantage by starting with fewer high scores, as there are more available to claim that way).

Well, it probably won't make a big difference whether this is included or not. But I do think this could make competing for high scores more fun for a lot of people.

06-07-2012 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Monthly High Scores (0)  
So....I would have to redo my same optimal demo every month on a lot of holds?
06-07-2012 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Monthly High Scores (+1)  
I think Rheb's suggesting something more along the lines of "who increased their total score by the most this month", meaning that you wouldn't get any new points for resubmitting old demos.

Instead, you would get points for this new ranking exactly the same way you get more points now - improving your ranking in rooms where you already have a score, and especially playing holds you haven't played before, where you can get 1 more point per new room conquered.

It seems like this would pretty much be a measure of "who is the most active DROD player" this month, and also I guess whoever's been doing the most optimizing, whether they have a long history of it or not. Somebody like me or noma could get on the top of one month's (or week's, whatever) scoreboard just by finding a hold we hadn't played before and getting a lot of new #1 scores or top-10 scores. By contrast, mxvladi or Syntax would have to find rooms they didn't already have #1 scores on and repeat a similar performance across a smaller pool of holds (most likely the most recently released ones).

I think this is a neat idea.

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-07-2012 08:29 PM]
06-07-2012 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Banjooie has an optimal demo?

06-07-2012 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Banjooie has three optimal demos.

Two of them are even in rooms that have monsters in.
06-07-2012 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I like this idea too. It would give a lot of people a chance at the top page.
06-08-2012 at 02:06 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
That is two more than I thought I had, Murphy.
06-08-2012 at 08:54 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Monthly High Scores (New high scores tab)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com