Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Treasure Adventure Game (Freeware 2D Metroidvania with Windwaker-like mechanics)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
SirNiko
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
IP: Logged
icon Treasure Adventure Game (+2)  
http://www.robitstudios.com/treasure-adventure-game/

I downloaded this a few days ago, and it's a ton of fun. It's a 2D platformer where you get a boat and tour the world looking for treasures. Most of the game consists of solving platform puzzles on several unique islands to find maps or treasures. Much of the game resembles Zelda: The Windwaker in that you own a little boat and have to rely on your maps to help you locate the various hidden caves or dive spots where treasures can be found.

Difficulty is middling. There are a few tricky bosses, and you're likely to get stuck a few times and wind up circumnavigating the world trying to figure out where to go next. There are a few irritating parts where you will encounter a puzzle that looks solvable, but is impossible because you're missing a necessary item. The developer also has a bad habit of using bouncy mushrooms that spawn secretly after you complete certain objectives as gates, though these usually just work as shortcuts to help you return to completed areas. Expect to do a lot of backtracking while trying to solve the mysteries of each of your maps.

The game is very light on the story. After a short introductory sequence, you pretty much dive into the game without any further exposition. Expect to spend several hours at a time just collecting items and looking for your next reward. The wonder of the game instead comes from wondering what you'll find past the next hill, on top of that nearby mountain, or beneath some debris on the sea.

The highlight of the game is that you get to keep finding new treasures, which you must then use to find new treasures. Each time you get a new item several new avenues for exploration open, and each area is littered with hidden caverns or optional puzzles for life-ups or collectable clovers. There is a good degree of non-linearity where you can tackle different puzzles in whichever order you choose, while the key items tend to come with maps to show you where to find them. Almost all of the islands contain unique graphics and mechanics, so there's a lot of originality to be seen. You're constantly motivated to find that next item because you know it will allow you to reach a new and exciting place to explore.

If games about maps and collecting items to enable you access to new areas excite you like they excite me, this is a great deal for the price of free.
05-28-2012 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Treasure Adventure Game (0)  
Wow, seriously? I randomly happened to stumble upon this yesterday, searched the forums to see nobody had talked about it, and was considering advertising it myself :)
05-28-2012 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
It sounds like it costs too much. The price of your soul is too much for me.

I wish that man would stay away
05-28-2012 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Treasure Adventure Game (+1)  
This sounds incredibly amazing. I know what I'm doing today.
05-28-2012 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
It sounds and looks really good, but its system/graphics requirements are absurd for what it is. My XP machine can run plenty of the fancier 3D games from last decade flawlessly (though sometimes I need to use lower graphical settings), but this thing can hardly crank out five frames a second--and that's at the absolute lowest settings: smallest resolution, not vertically synchronized, and using Windows 95 compatibility mode (as recommended). I'm really curious how they pull off such inefficiency.

My Windows 7 machine, on the other hand, can run it nearly well enough, though even there it's pretty inconsistent. Unfortunately, for family-related reasons, that's a far less convenient machine to play it on. I'm sure it'll be good enough for some people, but I find it disturbing that I need a multi-core processor to play a 320x240ish tile-based platformer.

Also, the frameless window, which appears to regenerate itself (or something like that) at every change in game state, is more than a little bit ugly to me, but I could certainly live with that if it just ran reasonably. I probably wouldn't even bring it up under better circumstances; it just fits in with my disappointment.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 05-31-2012 07:48 PM]
05-31-2012 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Boris Carl Orff
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Been having exact same problems with it. I read a couple of threads on their forum and there are suggestions about changing the screen resolution on your system... but frankly, I couldn't be bothered twiddling any longer. Shame.
05-31-2012 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978

File: controls.png (26.3 KB)
Downloaded 1130 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Treasure Adventure Game (+1)  
Hmm, I wonder what buttons I need to press to play this game...

Click here to view the secret text

Thanks, controls screen!

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 06-04-2012 03:47 AM]
06-04-2012 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
That had me stumped for a minute, but if you read the readme file it tells you to:
Run Setup.exe to choose keyboard or joystick
and setup your control scheme.

[edit]Oh right, it says it there too.. but yeah, would have been nice if it listed the actual keys on that page. Maybe some technical reasons why it doesn't.

Meanwhile, I've finished the game (96%, don't feel like finishing off any of the optional stuff though). Really enjoyed it. The only downside to me was that there was no way of discovering where missing treasure maps may be - near the end, I had found all but two treasures and didn't know where the maps were. Only options were either to re-search the entire world, or look them up online - I chose the latter.

But really great game, especially being free.

[Last edited by TripleM at 06-04-2012 05:35 AM]
06-04-2012 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Boris Carl Orff
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Aha! The ability to read had deserted me :blush

Thanks RoboBob. It runs well on my Win 7 set-up in fullscreen, but very slow on all windowed modes.
06-04-2012 at 07:23 PM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
Well, I owe some person a shrine and a small island for turning me onto this. Thank you, Sir Niko. You have filled me with childlike joy.

I've been smiling for hours.

Click here to view the secret text

06-05-2012 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Treasure Adventure Game (Freeware 2D Metroidvania with Windwaker-like mechanics)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com