Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Kerning bug affects Windows Vista.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged

File: KernBug.zip (2.1 MB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Kerning bug affects Windows Vista. (+1)  
mrimer requested that I research and post this bug, seeing as he was not aware that this problem ever existed on Windows machines.

The kerning bug makes scrolls look quite different in DROD 3.3.0.96 versus DROD 4.0.0.108, as my testers first notified me. I was curious when TCB would be updated to correct this problem, so I asked mrimer by PM. He directed me here.

I have attached a zip file that contains screenshots of seven instances of the problem, and a tiny .hold file for TCB that creates these issues on my Vista laptop. The issue exists regardless as to whether you are running in full-screen or windowed mode. If you look closely you'll see this problem exists even when no strange punctuation (with which I am unfortunately prone to drawing pictures) is used: words alone can trip it.

Please don't download this file unless you are a maintainer. The scrolls don't contain critical information, but they might cause a slight spoiler in one or two cases (and it's not that interesting in all honesty).

In case you're wondering why I included the first couple of scrolls which seem to be near-identical: originally these scrolls were much worse, but I edited them down in TCB to fix them in DROD 4 last week. So I had to "reverse-engineer" the disaster, and only managed to get them slightly-off between the two versions.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

05-12-2012 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Re: Kerning bug affects Windows Vista. (+2)  
I am afraid there isn't much that can be done here - in latest dev build the scrolls look like in GatEB examples. I presume it was caused by an update to a library rather than anything in our code. I've tried both enabling and disabling kerning for all fonts and the result appears to be identical.

Just for lolz I disabled Hinting and that certainly did not help the slightest.

There is also no way to adjust space between characters other than what kerning does (and also I don't think Tom's New Roman has kerning pairs?).

I also tweaked space size and font size and, predictably, things did not become better.

Ultimately it seems this is here to stay and how it looks in TSS upwards is how it will look for the foreseeable future.

10-19-2020 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Kerning bug affects Windows Vista.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com