Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Color Redux (My new Match 3 game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
IP: Logged

File: ColorRedux.exe (4.2 MB)
Downloaded 33 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Color Redux (+3)  
I've come up with a new game!

Color Redux is a Match 3 game.

Screenshot
Click here to view the secret text

The game was created for Windows 7 using Game Maker.

I'd appreciate people checking it out and replying with any feedback.

You can press Escape at any point to quit without saving.
F4 toggles full screen.

And there is a level editor so have fun creating levels.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 05-07-2012 02:19 PM]
04-30-2012 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk

File: sshot.jpg (116.9 KB)
Downloaded 584 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Color Redux (+1)  
Screen shot of Color Redux.
04-30-2012 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
icon Re: Color Redux (0)  
Well, I've updated the game removing the locks entirely. This might be the final version of this game.

Still look forward to any comments.
05-04-2012 at 05:25 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Played it for a bit. Generally pretty nice, I got stuck on 1 Color level 10. I didn't particularly like the more color puzzles since they involved quite a lot of luck.

I'd say the game is pretty fun, just improve the graphics (stylistic consistency and general quality).

05-04-2012 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ivcha Pivcha
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 80
As a gamer I think that majority of puzzle games as this one have serious problem with learning curve: work on it! Add some gelatinous colors and interesting faces (watch Super Bust a Move for ideas) with trippy backgrounds and engaging music and you can proudly sell your product to the masses.

Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup? ~ St. John Bosco
05-05-2012 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
Aack. There needs to be an 'undo' button on moding posts. This is the second or third time I've voted a post wrong while clicking back to the firefox window.

Official Hold Progress:

05-06-2012 at 06:25 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Ivcha Pivcha wrote:
As a gamer I think that majority of puzzle games as this one have serious problem with learning curve: work on it! Add some gelatinous colors and interesting faces (watch Super Bust a Move for ideas) with trippy backgrounds and engaging music and you can proudly sell your product to the masses.

Wait, you want him to solve his problems with learning curve by adding music and trippy backgrounds.

05-06-2012 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Sorry larry, but I must say that I didn't understand what was going on. I played the tutorial and a lot of stuff changed onscreen as I clicked til I noticed I was in tutorial 4 or 5.

Maybe it's my setup but I would have expected an explanation of the mechanics in some way?
05-07-2012 at 09:14 AM
Ivcha Pivcha
Banjooie wrote: Wait, you want him to solve his problems with learning curve by adding music and trippy backgrounds.
That's not exactly what I had in mind, but your interpretation can pass as well. Yeah, I guess that Neather2 can help Larry with some testing and I bet that :wizard agaricus5 might have some inspirational advice for him too.

Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup? ~ St. John Bosco
05-07-2012 at 11:36 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
I like what I've played so far, but some text in the tutorial would be helpful as would an undo button.

05-07-2012 at 05:05 PM
Ivcha Pivcha
Game would probably be much more successful in terms of sales if you have these 3 colors in it: orange, red, yellow.

05-13-2012 at 11:27 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I'm completely confused by Ivcha Pivcha.

05-13-2012 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
He's making a joke that basically 'this painting sold for 86 million, use these colors and print money'.

The problem is he's telling it with all the poise and moxie of the lovechild of Inspector Gadget and Boris from Rocky and Bullwinkle.
05-14-2012 at 07:46 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
I've been playing this horrid thing constantly since it came out.

So far I can get up to 94 on 4-color and 70 on 5-color, and beat everything else.

I think this game has a lot of potential, but several critiques follow.

1) The "random game" in 2+ colors is totally different from the "puzzle game" in 1 color. These should be made obviously different "modes of play", because they're basically two different games!

2) Why not allow puzzles in more than one color? By this, I mean, you should be able to create deterministic puzzles in more than one color. You could set certain guns to fire only one particular color, or to alternate with a particular pattern. This has huge puzzle potential. Making boards for this isn't much fun when the guns are random.

3) For the random game, the difficulty level is waaaaaay up and down all over the board. Some of the trivial levels need to be ramped up at least slightly to not be dumb, and it should definitely be sorted by difficulty. It shouldn't be so easy to beat a level late in the game the first time you see it, even if you re-randomize the board a few times (which is a big part of the game in later levels).

4) The term "bomb" is a bit odd since they don't "blow up". Maybe different styles of block: metal, wood, glass?

5) Red and blue are a bit too dark (especially blue). Yellow and green are too near in hue.

6) The "back button" looks like an undo button. A "menu" button which allows you to choose from previously-conquered levels would be preferable.

7) Putting the buttons in the corners may cause you to accidentally hit one when aiming for a corner-adjacent gun (which I have done once or twice).

I think my favorite level outside of the actual 1-color puzzles would have to be 3Boxin3 (level 83 on the 3-color). This is where I learned most of the techniques I needed to beat everything else. It's an excellent level because it is beatable no matter what value the random gun queues take once you have the juggling of blocks down to a science. I remember how the game changed in character for me once I realized that.

All in all, this is a very nice game; but it could become simply awesome with some more tweaking. I want more. I also want my life back, however, so I'm deleting this bastard off of my computer right now. I've probably put 300 hours into it and I'm going insane from lack of DROD. :crazy

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

08-04-2012 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Trickster,

Thanks very much for the detailed comments.

I already sent this out to a couple companies to see if they might care to polish the game up so it could be sold. No luck of course.

You have good suggestions, but I doubt I'm going to work on this more unless I get reinvigorated somehow.

I was amazed at how much strategy there was and how seemingly hopeless situations would end up solvable with a little patience and careful play.
08-04-2012 at 06:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Color Redux (My new Match 3 game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com