Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Passwords
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
IP: Logged
icon Passwords (+3)  
Two things:
1. When you change you password, if the new one doesn't meet the requirements (which are not stated on the form), you are presented with an error message and nothing else. You have to use your browser's back button or equivalent to go back and have another go. I suggest either adding a clickable back link or, better yet, displaying the error at the top of the form.
2. If you ask for your password to be emailed to you, it is sent as plain text. Given there are fairly strict requirements for the password this seems illogical. Maybe a user should be given a "Reset your password" link with a limited availability instead?

[Last edited by Mouse at 04-27-2012 07:04 PM]
04-27-2012 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Passwords (+1)  
I agree on both counts. I've wanted for ages to stop storing the plaintext password at ALL. Just never got around to it. I'll mark this as todo so I remember it. :)

04-30-2012 at 02:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
You store passwords in plain text?
If anyone is ever offended by anything I post then I was hacked.
05-05-2012 at 04:02 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Passwords (0)  
Wait, but my password is "plaintext". Will I have to change it?

05-05-2012 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Don't you worry, I'll change it for you. O:-

05-05-2012 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Schik wrote:
Don't you worry, I'll someone - like, anyone - will change it for you soon. O:-
Fixed.

05-05-2012 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I've shopped at a site that not only stores passwords in plain text, but:

- Treats passwords as case insensitive
- Produced a 500 Error when I tried to register with a password that had a hyphen, and again when I tried a password that was 34 characters long.
- When confirming the data you've entered before finishing registration, it uses the column names directly from the site's database as the name of each field
- Sends out an "Automatic mail for order check" when you order something. Your password can be found conveniently under "Member Information" in this email.

And let me repeat: I shopped there. S'all good though. The site's sole proprietor* does all his business through PayPal, so my credit information never came within an inch of his database.

I guess the moral of the story is: There's always somebody who can - and has - does it worse.

*suddenly things make sense

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 05-05-2012 10:48 PM]
05-05-2012 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I can think of a company with 10 million regular customers on just one of their products where the password is case insensitive.
05-07-2012 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
I'm just baffled as to how he knows it's stored in plain text unless he wrote the software.

My anecdote in any case, is that a previous company expected passwords to be unique.
05-08-2012 at 12:52 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
How unique are we talking here, Syntax?

05-08-2012 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Jatopian wrote:
How unique are we talking here, Syntax?
Ultra unique... Very secure. No-one could have the same password
05-08-2012 at 01:15 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Well now I can see a potential security flaw there. Be informed your password isn't unique, then try to log into every other account with that password.

05-08-2012 at 01:17 AM
Syntax
Jatopian wrote:
Well now I can see a potential security flaw there. Be informed your password isn't unique, then try to log into every other account with that password.
The message would say "Invalid password - it is already in use by <insert username>"

Thank gosh all we did was store bank details
05-08-2012 at 10:06 AM
asmussen
Rank Points: 188
Syntax wrote:
I'm just baffled as to how he knows it's stored in plain text unless he wrote the software.

My anecdote in any case, is that a previous company expected passwords to be unique.

I think he knows that it's stored in plain text because the password reminder email actually sends the password instead of a link to reset it or something else along those lines. Technically this doesn't mean that the password HAS to be stored in plain text. It could be obfuscated in some way, but in a way that still allows the original password to be obtained. That's nearly as bad, though. Passwords should be stored as some sort of hash so that even with a list of the password database it would be impossible to get the original passwords without using a brute force dictionary attack or something similar.

05-08-2012 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
Ideally a salted hash, which makes lookup tables not work.

Official Hold Progress:
Click here to view the secret text

05-10-2012 at 01:43 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Keiya wrote:
Ideally a salted hash, which makes lookup tables not work.
Even more ideally, a salt that is different for each user using a modern hash algorithm (so md5 < sha1 < ?). Something like:
sha1(jenkins(USER_NAME) . password)

05-10-2012 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
asmussen wrote:
Syntax wrote:

I think he knows that it's stored in plain text because the password reminder email actually sends the password instead of a link to reset it or something else along those lines.
Point taken... I was presuming the password in the email was a temporary one though but agree with your suggestions.

We (not Caravel but personal job) use salted sha-512 but still need to store the temp passwords in plain text which are invalidated upon initial login (and password reset) or within 6 hours.
05-10-2012 at 12:30 PM
asmussen
Rank Points: 188
Syntax wrote:
asmussen wrote:
Syntax wrote:

I think he knows that it's stored in plain text because the password reminder email actually sends the password instead of a link to reset it or something else along those lines.
Point taken... I was presuming the password in the email was a temporary one though but agree with your suggestions.

We (not Caravel but personal job) use salted sha-512 but still need to store the temp passwords in plain text which are invalidated upon initial login (and password reset) or within 6 hours.

Nope, no temporary password. It just emails your current password to the email on file for the account.

05-10-2012 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Passwords
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com