Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Place of Whims : 1 North, 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Michael Brazier
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Place of Whims : 1 North, 1 East (0)  
I have no idea how to kill the monsters in this room. The bombs clear out everything in the east end, except for that one guard; but because he's there, I can't escape the golems coming in from the west. What am I missing?
04-16-2012 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Emojk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 94
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Place of Whims : 1 North, 1 East (+1)  
Don't set off the bomb immediately; there is a way for you to choose when to step on the fuse.
Then it's just a matter of neatly stacking everyone in the east end, making sure the guards kill enough monsters as you do so. If you've done well, no one should be left once the bomb goes off.
04-16-2012 at 08:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Place of Whims : 1 North, 1 East (+2)  
Emojk wrote:
Don't set off the bomb immediately; there is a way for you to choose when to step on the fuse.
Then it's just a matter of neatly stacking everyone in the east end, making sure the guards kill enough monsters as you do so. If you've done well, no one should be left once the bomb goes off.
Well, that's the kinda long-ish version.

In case you're coming in by the west entrance...
Click here to view the secret text

np: Fluke - Freak (Oto)

04-16-2012 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Place of Whims : 1 North, 1 East (0)  
Is completing this room first a mistake, if you don't go straight to 1N2E? On re-entering, there doesn't now seem to be a way to drop the yellow door to the east to get into 1N2E.
06-05-2012 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Shendy
Rank Points: 132
Yes, I'm afraid you have to restore.
1N2E is optional though, if you don't want to restore (and lose progress).
06-05-2012 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
bandit1200 wrote:
Is completing this room first a mistake, if you don't go straight to 1N2E? On re-entering, there doesn't now seem to be a way to drop the yellow door to the east to get into 1N2E.
That's a job for the "Room Start" button on the restore screen - it'll return you to the state before you cleared the room, so you can just waltz out, come in through another entrance and have the yellow door open...

np: John Lydon - Psychopath (Psycho's Path)

06-05-2012 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Briareos wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
That's a job for the "Room Start" button on the restore screen - it'll return you to the state before you cleared the room, so you can just waltz out, come in through another entrance and have the yellow door open...

np: John Lydon - Psychopath (Psycho's Path)

Am I misunderstanding something? As far as I can see, if I restore, whether from a save point or from room start, as this was the first room I completed, the rest of the level now needs to be redone. No matter which dance I do, the yellow door stays firmly closed.

edit: I decided to redo the level and now I'm all finished.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 06-05-2012 10:12 PM]
06-05-2012 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
bandit1200 wrote:
Am I misunderstanding something? As far as I can see, if I restore, whether from a save point or from room start, as this was the first room I completed, the rest of the level now needs to be redone. No matter which dance I do, the yellow door stays firmly closed.
Am I misunderstanding something? As far as I can see, you were looking for a way to open that yellow door that leads east, and restoring to a state before you completed the room does just that.

As far as not being able to get into 1N2E after 1N1E has been completed, well, that's a general backtracking problem of the level...

06-06-2012 at 12:41 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Oh yes? You should report that. Even unofficial holds can be updated for backtracking issue fixes.

06-06-2012 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
1N2E is not required and is not marked as a secret room. Backtracking issues are only a true HA problem if the room must be visited to complete the level.

People can still visit the room using the method Briareos described, and then restore back to a later save after seeing it. Some people may prefer to have every room explored in a single save, and yes, that then requires some extra work. But there's no HA rule that says that this room is a problem that must be fixed.
06-06-2012 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Briareos wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
Am I misunderstanding something? As far as I can see, you were looking for a way to open that yellow door that leads east, and restoring to a state before you completed the room does just that.

Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining clearly. Apart from 1N2E, I completed the level *starting* with 1N1E. Restoring so that I could do 1N1E again meant that all rooms in the level would also be reset. Consequently I could not get to the pressure pad to open the yellow door to the east without redoing the complete level.
06-06-2012 at 02:04 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
bandit1200 wrote:
Apart from 1N2E, I completed the level *starting* with 1N1E. Restoring so that I could do 1N1E again meant that all rooms in the level would also be reset.
So? 1N2E, as TFMurphy says, is unrequired. Therefore, completing the level and getting to 1N2E are completely independent goals. You could (a) ignore 1N2E and complete the level, then come back to 1N2E to see what you missed, or (b) restore to the start of 1N1E, check out 1N2E then restore back to where you'd got up to in the level overall, or (c) restore back to the start of 1N1E and do the whole level from there (which would be pointless) [or (d) complete the level and not worry about 2N1E at all, or leave it for another day]

You seem to be worried about having to do (c) for some reason, but there is no reason why you have to do that.

Consequently I could not get to the pressure pad to open the yellow door to the east without redoing the complete level.
That's not true at all. I can't see why you think that is the case. (You do realise that you can restore to previous game states, but also re-restore to later ones?)

[Last edited by Jacob at 06-06-2012 07:42 PM]
06-06-2012 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
OK, I accept I am wrong. I already said I replayed the level and finished the game, so it really doesn't matter.
06-07-2012 at 12:43 AM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
I'm having a big problem with the no-fuse challenge in GatEB 5.0.

Since obviously this requires precise sequences of moves, may I at least know the following:

1. Which way should I point the sword when I step on the plate?
2. Which of the 4 initial eyes should I keep alive, or not?
3. Maybe also the first few moves after stepping the plate?

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 09-25-2016 06:06 PM]
09-25-2016 at 06:03 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Place of Whims : 1 North, 1 East (+2)  
The key to this challenge is that guards move before other monsters (always, not just in this room). Moves that seem deadly can in fact be safe because a guard will kill an adjacent monster before it kills you.

As for the specific questions:

09-25-2016 at 07:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Thanks a lot. Knowing which way I should point at is good enough to make it through this challenge.
09-25-2016 at 07:43 PM
JLE
Rank Points: 46

File: GatEB Place of Whims 1N1E No Fuse Challenge completed.demo (14 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
Thanks. Was able to complete that challenge, hit a beacon, and come back to try the other one...

But, how do you manage the "don't use use your sword" challenge? Since you *must* actually use your sword to stab the first golem on [13,16], or you will never pass it? Or should that be "don't TURN your sword", i.e. keep it pointing east the whole time (since east is the way it must point, to kill the first golem)?

[Last edited by JLE at 01-17-2020 02:55 PM]
01-17-2020 at 02:03 PM
JLE

File: GatEB Place of Whims 1N1E No Sword Challenge completed.demo (14.3 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
...And I just worked it out. Turns out you can "complete" the room from any entrance... here's the "no sword" challenge demo. Could be more efficient, but I left space for the possibility of dropping all the remaining red doors as well (just in case one wants to exit east) - although the demo itself stops when the last monster dies.

Important points:

01-17-2020 at 03:04 PM
Kalin
Rank Points: 186
Now I'm curious... are there changes in this room between 4.0.2 and 5.x? I'm trying to figure out the challenges and they aren't making any sense to me.

I can't clear the room from the right, because a green gate forces me to clear this room before I can reach that one.

If I enter from bottom or upper left, then it's fairly easy to get the soldiers to kill all the eyes and golems before you light the fuse. In fact, this only slightly harder than the "easy" way to clear the room. Also, entering this way makes it impossible to use your sword on anything, because a green gate is between you and all the monsters (and orbs and bombs).

And that leaves the middle left entrance. I think yesterday was my first (serious) attempt to clear the room from that direction, and I did it, but I needed both my sword and the bombs. (Nuntar's hints get me killed.)
01-18-2020 at 03:45 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
The 5.0 version adds seeding beacons to replay the room - unfortunately they're on the east side, so you have to clear the room in a way that allows reaching that exit in order to use them.

So this would allow entering the room from the east side with it uncleared. Due to the tunnels, this would be essentially the same as using the other outer entrances.

There are no other changes in monster placement. I can't confirm easily that move order hasn't changed.

When exactly do you run into problems trying to follow Nuntar's hints? Maybe you've just overlooked a possible move.
01-18-2020 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
If you enter from the east in DROD 5.0, as well as the seeding beacons which can re-seed the room, you may also notice that you have access to tunnels. These are used to bypass the yellow and red gates and get onto the path which is not blocked by the green gate, from which you can follow the same "no sword" solution that you used when entering from the S or the NW entrance.

As for the "no bombs" solution from entering the room from the centre-west entrance, I posted my demo of that... does it work for you.

[Last edited by JLE at 01-18-2020 06:37 PM]
01-18-2020 at 06:35 PM
Kalin
I can't view 5.x demos.

Following Nuntar's hints:

01-18-2020 at 09:23 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Well, I have the same things you do but that's not the only safe move.

01-18-2020 at 11:00 PM
Kalin
Oh! You're right, I didn't actually test if I died if did nothing. So I did finally clear the room without lighting the fuse, though first I had to backtrack a bit because

How do people figure these things out? It's crazy how exact that solution was.
01-19-2020 at 01:11 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Place of Whims : 1 North, 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com