Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High Scores bug (maybe?) (Is this a deleted hold?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
IP: Logged

File: Screen shot 2012-04-15 at 3.19.56 AM.png (142.9 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
icon High Scores bug (maybe?) (+2)  
Under 'Holds' in the High Scores page, on the second page when sorting by most explorers, there's a hold listed with no name and no total moves in the #1 demos, but with 253 explorers and 68 conquerers. What's up with that?

04-15-2012 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: High Scores bug (maybe?) (+5)  
[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote:
It is a deleted hold that needs to be removed from the list.
Nope.
but it shows up when sorted by the other two columns because it has not been fully removed from the HS database.
Bzzzzt.
There are actually ten deleted holds which need to be removed from the HS database:
Sorry, wrong again.
It would seem someone thought that setting the ID to -1 would remove it from the list but herp derp no.
Look, I get it. It can be fun to look at an error and try to hypothesize about what could have caused it. But if you're going to be condescending and insulting about it, try to at least be RIGHT.
(Thanks)

Hikari, thanks for the report. Fixed the problem.

04-22-2012 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
icon Re: High Scores bug (maybe?) (+1)  
You missed ID 1, which is apparently the original KDD.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/highscores.php?action=holdoverview&hs=e&ho=a&page=21
04-23-2012 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: High Scores bug (maybe?) (0)  
[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote:
You always assume the most malicious intent possible from the things I post [...] I actually spent twenty-five minutes tracking down every one of the aberrant hold ID's because I thought it would help you identify the problem, which I admittedly only had a random guess about since I have no idea how the data is stored or accessed.
For what it's worth, I thought "insulting" was an odd word choice on Schik's part. And I didn't see anything malicious in your post.

On the other hand, you did seem to be asserting things about what was causing the problem Hikari reported, as if you were certain your assertions were right. (You didn't say "I suspect that" or "I hypothesize that" or "It could be that" or the like; you just said "It is a deleted hold" (emphasis added). I can't entirely fault Schik for feeling frustrated that someone was actively misinforming people about apparent site bugs.
04-23-2012 at 08:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: High Scores bug (maybe?) (+2)  
Tahnan wrote:
For what it's worth, I thought "insulting" was an odd word choice on Schik's part. And I didn't see anything malicious in your post.
I laughed at most of the post, since she was asserting what the problems were incorrectly. The only part that I found insulting was the part I quoted as such:
It would seem someone thought that setting the ID to -1 would remove it from the list but herp derp no.
You mentioned in chat that you didn't know what herp derp meant. Let's look up a couple definitions via google:
Urban Dictionary: An expression used when a person, or yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey

KnowYourMeme: Harp Darp (also known as "Herp Derp") is a rage comic face used to indicate that someone is unintelligent or making ignorant statements. The name is derived from the Internet slang term "derp" associated with stupidity.

So, asserting that you know what the problem is? Kinda funny if you're wrong. Saying someone is stupid or did something really stupid, when that thing never happened (setting a hold's ID to 1)? I found that insulting.

04-23-2012 at 12:39 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: High Scores bug (maybe?) (+2)  
I think I agree both with Tahnan and with Schik. I didn't think this situation called for such heavy emotions... Until I remembered a couple of times when someone not knowledgeable in game making or something patronized me or offered me completely pointless advice in a patronizing tone. These things rub me real wrong and I usually react much more aggressively than if it was about something not computer-related :).

04-23-2012 at 12:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High Scores bug (maybe?) (Is this a deleted hold?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com