Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Asking Chamber (Ask anything you want regarding DROD:GatEB)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Asking Chamber (0)  
I'm going to go ahead and guess that blue guards do one of two things: Kill indiscriminately, or only move if there is something near enough to them. Am I right?
03-24-2012 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
Since GatEB focuses more on non-monster elements, will the next project focus more on new monsters?

TCB spoilerly question:
Click here to view the secret text

03-24-2012 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
1. How many new styles are there that were not in TCB?
2. Are any styles from TCB missing?
3. Is mud old enough to show up in the main hold, or was it invented (or at least deployed) between now and JTRH?

Official Hold Progress:

03-27-2012 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
There are three new room styles with completely new music in the 4.0 game engine. No room styles have been removed.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-27-2012 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Are the musics from TCB still there? Are the ones from JTRH reinstated?

Official Hold Progress:

03-27-2012 at 07:32 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Is smite to the death being added?

I wish that man would stay away
03-28-2012 at 05:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
There is no smite to the death in GatEB, no.

03-28-2012 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Keiya wrote: Are the musics from TCB still there?
I'm pretty sure they are.
Are the ones from JTRH reinstated?
I don't think so, but there's lots of new music.

[Last edited by Jacob at 03-28-2012 11:13 AM]
03-28-2012 at 11:11 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Someone Else wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and guess that blue guards do one of two things: Kill indiscriminately, or only move if there is something near enough to them. Am I right?

Nope. They're your allies and very similar to stalwarts, with 3 differences, which I won't rush to divulge.

[Last edited by Jacob at 03-28-2012 11:15 AM]
03-28-2012 at 11:13 AM
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: The Asking Chamber (+1)  
What is the recommended order for playing the core games if you are interested in the storyline?

What is the recommended order for playing the core games from the easiest to the hardest? (What a newbie might want to do.)

What is the recommended order in each case if you want to play as many officially released holds as possible?

Also, how do I get out of the Asking Chamber? Help! You guys didn't leave me here on purpose did you? Hey! Come back!

Ohhh, the handle turns that way. NM. :blush

04-02-2012 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: The Asking Chamber (+1)  
Pekka wrote: What is the recommended order for playing the core games if you are interested in the storyline?
Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, King Dugan's Dungeon, Journey to Rooted Hold, The City Beneath.
What is the recommended order for playing the core games from the easiest to the hardest? (What a newbie might want to do.)
Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, King Dugan's Dungeon, Journey to Rooted Hold, The City Beneath.
What is the recommended order in each case if you want to play as many officially released holds as possible?
You can play any hold currently released inside of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder. All the art styles will even be the same.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 04-02-2012 09:27 PM]
04-02-2012 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
You can play any hold currently released inside of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder. All the art styles will even be the same.

OK, I just want to clarify my question here. I mean to ask where do the Smitemaster's Selections fit in difficulty- and story-wise :)
04-02-2012 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
gamer_extreme_101 wrote: You can play any hold currently released inside of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder. All the art styles will even be the same.

Not QUITE true. KDD 2.0 is a little weird due to its legacy as an AE hold. And in the unofficial holds realm, all the AE holds will be remapped to 4.0 styles.

Official Hold Progress:

04-02-2012 at 09:36 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: The Asking Chamber (+3)  
Pekka wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

OK, I just want to clarify my question here. I mean to ask where do the Smitemaster's Selections fit in difficulty- and story-wise :)

Order they came out:

1) The Choice
2) Perfection
3a) Beethro and the Secret Society
3b) Halph Has a Bad Day
4) Beethro's Teacher
5a) Master Locks
5b) Master Locks Expert
5c) Smitemastery 101
6) Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom
7a) Suit Pursuit
7b) Complex Complex
8) Finding the First Truth

Story wise:
(GatEB)
(KDD)
Complex Complex
(JtRH)
Perfection
Beethro's Teacher
Master Locks (Expert)
(TCB)
Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom
Suit Pursuit
Finding the First Truth
(all other SMS are off-canon)

Difficulty order (this is my opinion of how it should be ordered):
Smitemastery 101
Halph Has a Bad Day
The Choice
Beethro and the Secret Society
Master Locks
Suit Pursuit
Finding the First Truth
Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom
Master Locks Expert
Complex Complex
Perfection
Beethro's Teacher

04-02-2012 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bwross
Rank Points: 376
icon Re: The Asking Chamber (+2)  
robin wrote:
Story wise:
(GatEB)
(KDD)

That's more like the Chronological Order of Events. Story-wise is a very different thing. For example, Star Wars is chronological by episode number, but they didn't come out in that order... and airing order has an important effect on story, as things that run later benefit from dramatic irony from the things that run before them. Which is to say, people knew where Eps. 1-3 of Star Wars was ultimately heading, and the story needed to be written a certain way because of that. The best story-wise order for Star Wars is 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. This is an In Media Res pattern... we start in the middle, flash back to the beginning, and then return for the ending. In this case, we introduce Vader, reveal who he is, flash back to show how he became Vader, then return in order to show his redemption.

Now the DROD storyline. GatEB works better after KDD. KDD introduces us to Beethro as he does a "simple" dungeon cleaning job which results in him wanting to investigate some of the odd things he's noticed at the end. Since GatEB is written after JtRH and TCB it contains a good amount of dramatic irony throughout, placing it before KDD would be awkward as the irony is wasted, and using it as foreshadowing would be premature (because we'd be following it up with KDD, and not leading directly into those things, like following up with JtRH). In fact, the dramatic irony works best with it placed in release order... and depending on TSS, that might ultimately be its best place in the story as well. But for right now, I'd probably put it between KDD and JtRH... which is chronological by the story's framing. You go into GatEB knowing the narrator that way, and you get a bit of an introduction to Halph and the Empire for going into JtRH afterwards.

[Last edited by bwross at 04-05-2012 12:16 AM]
04-05-2012 at 12:15 AM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Asking Chamber (Ask anything you want regarding DROD:GatEB)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com