Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : HyperRogue (some ideas from DROD in a non-Euclidean world)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zenorogue
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
IP: Logged
icon HyperRogue (+4)  
Hi,

it might look suspicious that I come to this forum with a post of this kind, but I am a long time DROD fan, and I have created a game which takes some ideas from DROD into hyperbolic geometry. Although there is no sword, ASCII-like graphics inspired by roguelikes rather than DROD, and the puzzles are randomly generated instead of pre-made, you should recognize something similar to DROD's serpents, seeps, and Mimics (although the last turn out to be much less useful in hyperbolic geometry as parallel lines diverge too fast). It seems that some people here are interested in mathematical stuff, and the best way of understanding hyperbolic geometry would be to play a puzzle game a bit related to DROD.

You can find it at: HyperRogue. Have fun!

[Last edited by zenorogue at 10-10-2015 12:14 PM]
03-17-2012 at 06:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: HyperRogue II (+1)  
You should now have enough rank points to post a link :).

Awesome game, playing it feels kinda psychodelic, but it's pretty enjoyable. Shame it has no real end other than dying (or does it?). I can strongly recommend it to anyone to at least try!

03-17-2012 at 09:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zenorogue
icon Re: HyperRogue II (+1)  
Thanks!

Yes, there is no "victory", you can only aim for high scores (a bit like in Tetris). My score is currently 113 (as shown on the screenshot), although it is from version 2.0 (2.1 is slightly more difficult), and this is after just a few tries, so it should be beatable.

(more screenshots on the website)

03-17-2012 at 09:44 AM
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1304

File: Ivy killing.png (153.8 KB)
Downloaded 939 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: HyperRogue II (0)  
So, I don't think that this is intentional:

03-17-2012 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zenorogue
icon Re: HyperRogue II (0)  
If I understand the situation correctly, you are repeatedly hitting an Active Ivy which is next to the root. The root regrows this branch, and it remains active.

If you think that the next branch should become active instead, maybe you are right, but on the other hand, the root and the branches next to it are a special case, and the current rules make Ivy more challenging.

Anyway, your score does not increase for this (even the kill count which is displayed when you finish includes only Ivy Roots).

03-17-2012 at 07:02 PM
zenorogue
icon Re: HyperRogue II (+2)  
Hey!

A new version is available: HyperRogue III

Now it does have another ending... I mean, there is a quest which you can undertake if you are good enough, and be called a winner (but you can still continue afterwards). Have fun!
04-23-2012 at 10:44 PM
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: HyperRogue II (+2)  
Allow me to resurrect this thread to remind everyone that HyperRogue made it to Steam and is still actively supported by this Zeno dude:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/342610

02-07-2015 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zenorogue
icon Re: HyperRogue (+1)  
Thanks Maurog!

I would also like to mention that HyperRogue is a much bigger and more complete game now that when it was first posted on this forum -- now, it has roughly three times as many lands as in early 2015, many quests, features of hyperbolic geometry to explore (such as periodic patterns and horocycles), and many other special features (map editor, Euclidean mode, coop shmup, etc.). Have fun!

10-10-2015 at 12:27 PM
Boris Carl Orff
I do have fun indeed! I am a long time player and fan of your game and bought it as soon as it was released on Steam. I'm glad you keep updating it regularly - it just gets better and better. If I may add (not advertising Steam here) there are a shed-load of achievements which serve as motivation and interest! Keep doing what you're doing please Zeno. Good job.
10-11-2015 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tamsk
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
icon Re: HyperRogue (0)  
Bump to observe that HyperRogue is now available for iOS. The port seems a little (well, quite a lot) rough around the edges, but it more or less works and I've been enjoying it.
06-25-2016 at 05:07 PM
zenorogue
The new version includes a new take on the sword from DROD -- Orb of the Sword gives something that works just like DROD's sword, except that you cannot rotate it directly. Hyperbolic geometry matters a lot here -- it allows you to rotate the sword by using the curvature, and it makes it quite easy to point the sword at the enemy, whatever direction they are approaching from.

08-10-2016 at 04:07 PM
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
This was a cool game a year ago, gotta check the new features. Thanks for creating such a unique thing!

08-10-2016 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : HyperRogue (some ideas from DROD in a non-Euclidean world)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com