Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Suggestion: Deadly Music of Death redux boogaloo to the future (attn: Rimer and company)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Re: Suggestion: Deadly Music of Death redux boogaloo to the future (+5)  
And thank you for listening. While I still believe that by-game-of-origin division is best, I understand the desire to maintain a sort of backward compatibility. It is not a big deal in any case; as I said, people will make their own judgment calls about what tracks to listen to and in what arrangement.

I think what you propose will work out just fine (again, so long as you aren't charging more for DMOD than JtRH... actually best to leave the price as is; "same price as the game that the music is from" is a little iffy too).

I recommend making it very clear to everyone in the package description that buying one gets you both and that together they comprise a complete soundtrack (unless they don't, in which case be sure to say it's complete except for the title theme).
I'd also make sure the description emphasizes that it is the complete FDROD soundtrack too.
In fact, where you recommend downloading the JtRH demo to hear these songs, it might be better to recommend FDROD first, JtRH demo second. FDROD has these advantages: under 10 megabytes per download, doesn't require the user to leave their browser, doesn't require any installation if one already has Flash, and features more of the music overall in any case.

Here is a track listing to help you out.
Click here to view the secret text

06-04-2012 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: Suggestion: Deadly Music of Death redux boogaloo to the future (0)  
mrimer wrote:
I think there is still a question about naming the collection. I don't want to call the-package-of-everything-AE-and-JtRH "Volume 1", because that's no longer accurate. I think I will make a Volume 2 containing the rest of the music, and both Vol. 1 and 2 will be included as a package deal in a single order. In other words, "buy Vol. 1, get Vol. 2 free". Does this sound alright to everyone?

It sounds great! :)

Specially the
Even Plant's track and the not-extended version of "Ancient Machine", if you can.
part (if you can).
06-04-2012 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Suggestion: Deadly Music of Death redux boogaloo to the future (+1)  
Hey, thanks for mapping the tracks for me and posting it here, Jatopian! That's quite helpful. I'll post this on the website as soon as I can.

Yes, I'll describe things as you suggest. I'm not going to mention Flash DROD here, though, until the game is actually released. At that time, I'll add the mention and include a link.

I've e-mailed Emmett for permission to include "TitleErikMix", the JtRH title track with the chant, in the collection. I'll let you guys know when I hear from him.

Sure, I can include the non-extended version of Ancient Machine in here too.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-04-2012 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Incidentally, I would have thought that if Volume 1 was JtRH and AE tracks, that Volume 2 would be TCB and Volume 3 would be RPG....
06-04-2012 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
Incidentally, I would have thought that if Volume 1 was JtRH and AE tracks, that Volume 2 would be TCB and Volume 3 would be RPG....
Only about half of the AE and JtRH tracks ended up on Volume 1, so that's why Volume 2 has the other half. I agree with Jatopian it would probably have been better to have AE and JtRH tracks split by game title into separate volumes, where AE is Volume 1 and JtRH is Volume 2, but here's to backwards compatibility.

Also, again, Caravel doesn't have a license to sell TCB and RPG music. Emmett Plant and Jon Sonnenberg have their own plans to sell this music on their own sites. Either or both of them might already be doing so, and I'm simply not aware of it. We could try to work out some kind of deal with them to sell the collection of their tracks appearing in these games on our site, and somehow splitting revenue with them, but it's not a given.

Everyone, please try to understand Caravel is rolling with the circumstances the best it can.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-04-2012 05:54 PM]
06-04-2012 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Emmett replied and said it would be fine to include the title chant in the JtRH collection. Woo!

06-04-2012 at 09:20 PM
Damien
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
Wouldn't it be clearer, and possibly more attractive, to bundle all the available music into a single album?
CaravelGames have quite a tendency to complicate things, don't they?

[Last edited by Damien at 06-05-2012 01:58 AM]
06-05-2012 at 01:56 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
If it is not possible to get the music to sell here, I know that I would like an option to go to find said music on wherever they happen to be selling it. So links with description of the product and where it is would be great.

I wish that man would stay away
06-05-2012 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
The spitemaster wrote:
If it is not possible to get the music to sell here, I know that I would like an option to go to find said music on wherever they happen to be selling it. So links with description of the product and where it is would be great.
Sure, I'd be happy to check on this. Emmett just told me he never got around to releasing one, so I've asked him if he'd want to sell a collection on our website. I'll likewise check with Jon to see what he has in the works.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-05-2012 02:39 PM]
06-05-2012 at 02:39 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Suggestion: Deadly Music of Death redux boogaloo to the future (+5)  
Great news here.

First off, I've put together DMOD, Volume 2. It's now mentioned on the website and available for free in the DMOD collection. So, now the whole JtRH and AE (and FDROD) soundtracks are available as a package deal! Anyone who has already ordered can now download the complete collection from the Downloads page. I've included the track listing with the mapping to where the songs are heard in-game in the collection.

Second, I'm discussing a release of a DROD RPG soundtrack with Emmett. He's working on some remixes and all new songs to round out the album. Hopefully, this will also be available sometime soon.

06-06-2012 at 04:30 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
That's fantastic! I held off buying DMOD in the past, but this certainly changed my mind. (Even if it's just an excuse to send money Caravel's way ;) )

EDIT: Does DMOD register on the forum? It would be nice having it on the download page just like all other owned products.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 06-06-2012 04:43 PM]
06-06-2012 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks, slimm tom!
slimm tom wrote:
EDIT: Does DMOD register on the forum? It would be nice having it on the download page just like all other owned products.
That's right! Just register your order on the forum, and you can (re)download it from the Downloads page.

06-06-2012 at 04:44 PM
slimm tom
For the record, I received Plimus download links and receipt, but not a CaravelNet activation link. I was able to get the link through the support system, but there might be a problem with the outgoing emails on this front. (Or it is just delayed)

EDIT: The tags on volume 2 seem to be off, a couple of tracks are uncorrectly called 'The Spaces'.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 06-06-2012 05:24 PM]
06-06-2012 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
slimm tom wrote:
EDIT: The tags on volume 2 seem to be off, a couple of tracks are uncorrectly called 'The Spaces'.
I can fix this. Which ones, please?

06-06-2012 at 06:48 PM
slimm tom
mrimer wrote:
I can fix this. Which ones, please?
Track 1 through 12 of Volume 2.
06-06-2012 at 06:56 PM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
I bought Volume 1 of DMOD on CD years ago. Does the entitle me to a download of Volume 2?
06-06-2012 at 07:03 PM
mrimer
RabidChild wrote:
I bought Volume 1 of DMOD on CD years ago. Does the entitle me to a download of Volume 2?
Absolutely! Anyone can just e-mail or PM me the name or e-mail address they used on their original order, and I can check it and hook you up.

06-06-2012 at 08:46 PM
Jatopian
The JtRH title track still seems to be absent. Everything else is in there, though as slimm tom said, many tracks are mislabeled.

It seems to only be downloadable through Plimus? Or the key just didn't get sent to me. I've been helped manually now.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-07-2012 03:21 AM]
06-07-2012 at 01:15 AM
mrimer
Jatopian wrote:
The JtRH title track still seems to be absent. Everything else is in there, though as slimm tom said, many tracks are mislabeled.
My apologies. I've fixed these issues. You can redownload the fixed version from the Downloads page now, and I'm reuploading to Plimus presently.

06-07-2012 at 03:56 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
well I've complained enough in this thread I guess I'll go buy the thing

okay bought

[Last edited by Banjooie at 06-07-2012 10:30 AM]
06-07-2012 at 07:05 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
mrimer wrote:
Great news here.

First off, I've put together DMOD, Volume 2. It's now mentioned on the website and available for free in the DMOD collection. So, now the whole JtRH and AE (and FDROD) soundtracks are available as a package deal! Anyone who has already ordered can now download the complete collection from the Downloads page. I've included the track listing with the mapping to where the songs are heard in-game in the collection.

Second, I'm discussing a release of a DROD RPG soundtrack with Emmett. He's working on some remixes and all new songs to round out the album. Hopefully, this will also be available sometime soon.

Awesome... and double awesome!

Any news from the Jon Sonnenberg front?

Also, this:
Bombadil wrote:
Btw, while the soundtrack package was downloading I was not able to reply or open other forum threads. I had noticed this before, but I think I read somewhere that this had been fixed?
happened again.
06-07-2012 at 09:42 AM
Jatopian
07-11-2012 at 02:38 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Suggestion: Deadly Music of Death redux boogaloo to the future (+6)  
Okay, I'm retarded, and in pursuit of more humility, I'll disclose it to everyone here. I went through arcane Caravel documents in my basement the other week (which likely connects to Erik's somewhere beneath the surface). I reviewed Caravel's ownership of IP, and I see that when Erik sold his share of Caravel and left the company, he transferred complete rights to all (his) IP in our products, including DMOD, to Caravel Games. So, the long and short of it is that Caravel doesn't need to ask Erik's permission for selling DMOD anywhere or anyhow.

I don't have any plans to do anything in particular in light of this revelation at the moment, but it does clarify that the rights trainwreck that Banjooie blew the whistle on is purely an illusory artifact of my (and possibly Erik's) grey matter. There is no trainwreck, and hopefully there won't be any gawkers hanging around to look at nothing. Carry on.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-26-2012 10:36 PM]
07-26-2012 at 10:36 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
One word: bandcamp!

07-26-2012 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
icon Re: Suggestion: Deadly Music of Death redux boogaloo to the future (+2)  
I'm not sure who modded down mrimer's post or why, but I've undone it on the basis that people should be encouraged to admit their mistakes, since it is a hard but righteous thing.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 07-27-2012 12:20 AM]
07-27-2012 at 12:20 AM
Banjooie
Well!

Did you know there are no Magic cards that say 'illusion' on them and are also artifacts?

Because it ruined an amazing joke I was going to make.
07-27-2012 at 12:33 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
07-27-2012 at 12:38 AM
Banjooie
See, I was looking for Illusory. I guess I am an idiot.

edit: wow that card

wow

[Last edited by Banjooie at 07-28-2012 09:35 AM]
07-28-2012 at 09:34 AM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Suggestion: Deadly Music of Death redux boogaloo to the future (attn: Rimer and company)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com